New book about the lyrics

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
teresaq

New book about the lyrics

Post by teresaq »

My book 'Smudging the Air' has been added to Amazon US, UK and Europe today. There is no delivery date yet but they are taking orders. If anybody reads it, please let us all know on here or on Amazon what you think of it. I have tried very hard to describe what is special about the lyrics. Teresa Quayle.
jarkko
Site Admin

Re: New book about the lyrics

Post by jarkko »

Here is the cover of the book:

It was great to learn that also the "Darker" songs are included! Teresa told me that she worked hard over the last few weeks to incorporate the album.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
HugoD

Post by HugoD »

Looks very promising, just bought my copy at Amazon.
Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013, Montréal 2017
Happiness is just the side effect of a meaningful life.
Jewlie59

Post by Jewlie59 »

Just bought my copy too! Can't wait to read it!!
WiTS

Post by WiTS »

ordered my copy from Amazon UK
will get it in Beijing around 20 Jan, hopefully
············································································································
2008-06-29 Pyramid Stage, Glastonbury Festival; 2008-07-17 O2 Arena, London
Leonard Cohen Chinese Fansite since 2008 http://site.douban.com/137869/
Search LeonardCohenCHINA on WeChat and subscribe for the latest Leonard Cohen news
teresaq

Post by teresaq »

Thanks for ordering. I am delighted that the book is going to Beijing!!
Nibor

Post by Nibor »

I've just received my copy of “Smudging the Air” and I am looking forward to delving into it!!

I became interested in Leonard's songs back in the 60's after buying “Songs from a Room” but a busy career, house purchase and other interests meant that after buying “Songs of Leonard Cohen” and “Songs of Love and Hate” Leonard unfortunately slipped off my radar.

I occasionally played CD versions of my albums and puzzled over the meaning of the lyrics but that was it.

However some two years ago I rediscovered an interest in my vinyl collection and put together a suitable Hifi system, with a turntable. I began playing Leonard again and wondering what became of him.

Quite recently I was delighted to find, and purchase, the “Complete Studio Albums Collection” box set and soon realised I had missed out on a massive amount of his work.

After hearing some of his later songs the fascination was rekindled!! After some research I bought “The Lyrics of Leonard Cohen” and “I'm Your Man” by Sylvie Simmons, which I am now halfway through.

By chance I stumbled across “Smudging the Air” and I am hoping that it will help me clarify my own thoughts about the meanings of his lyrics. My initial impression of the book is that the fusion of Teresa's data analysis of the lyrics, together with her understanding of English language and literature will provide a unique source of reference material for those interested in Leonard's songs and music.

Before taking my time getting to know his songs better, with the help of Teresa's book, I am planning on completing “I'm Your Man” to get a better understanding of how Leonard's life panned out to in order to help me put his songs in context.

“Smudging the Air” must have been quite an undertaking and I thank Teresa for all her hard work – I can see her book being a constant companion as I enjoy listening to, and contemplating the meaning of, over one hundred songs
teresaq

Post by teresaq »

Thanks, nibor. I hope you will keep us updated with what you think of the book as you read more of it. Teresa
vickiwoodyard

Post by vickiwoodyard »

I read quite a bit of it on amazon and it does look like the author has done a beautiful job.
teresaq

Post by teresaq »

Thanks, Vikki. I really hoped that people would enjoy it.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Doron B Cohen has written an in-depth review of the book for The Files.
Read it here: http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/doron-quayle.pdf
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
DBCohen

Post by DBCohen »

Thanks, Jarkko, for posting my review on the Files. The bottom line: I found Teresa Quayle’s book to be valuable and interesting in some respect, but I also could not help criticizing various aspects of it. This is a somewhat strange case when a reviewer (this one, at least) can’t give a simple answer to the question: Do you recommend this book? If you read the review you’ll understand my reservations, but I also think that people with deep interest in LC’s work may find in the book some valuable insights.
teresaq

Post by teresaq »

Thanks for the constructive review, Doron. I have tried to look at the lyrics in a different way, so it is inevitable that some people do not entirely agree with my approach. Some of your points reinforce my view that the magic of these lyrics lies in people's personal interpretation. You certainly make many very valid points.

I never thought of myself as a cottage industry - I would have loved to have an agent and a publisher but they are very hard to come by for a first-time writer.
DBCohen

Post by DBCohen »

Teresa, I appreciate the difficulty in finding a publisher by a first-time author, but I thought that with the mounting popularity of LC in recent years it might not prove impossible to find a publisher interested in a study of his work. I’m sorry it didn’t work out for you. As for the other matters, I expressed my thoughts in the review so there is no need to repeat them here. Best regards,

Doron
Ria Bellen

Post by Ria Bellen »

I bought this book. I agree with Doran : people may find in this book some valuable insights. In my opinion : "DEATH" is certainly a regular subject area in Leonard' s songs. I missed it in Teresa's book.
"Dance me to the end of love ? .... " I should also put the Abbreviation D.

Return to “News”