Leonard Cohen Interview with Jay Tuck (A Singer Must Die) - Norddeutscher Rundfunk (NDR) in Hamburg

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
sturgess66

Leonard Cohen Interview with Jay Tuck (A Singer Must Die) - Norddeutscher Rundfunk (NDR) in Hamburg

Post by sturgess66 »

Leonard sings "A Singer Must Die" in this interview with Jay Tuck

Uploaded to YouTube by Jay Tuck -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDrsqsL7pv8
Leonard Cohen feeling sad
Published on Dec 9, 2016

It was a windy day in May in 1976. I never thought it would really happen, an interview with Canadian poet Leonard Cohen. But there was his voice, unmistakable, on the phone. Not his agent nor the record company. "Hi, this is Leonard Cohen". A few hours later we met in the lobby of the Hamburg Hotel Europäischer Hof. Management wanted us to film the interview in one of their suites. That wasn't right, not for Leonard Cohen. So we found an empty room in the hotel cellar, the dining hall for staff. While the crew lit the surrroundings appropriately, I asked Leonard where his guitar was.
He didn't know he would be needing it, he said. But he walked back to his room to fetch it. And we recorded a very magical, unimaginable personal interview that day. And aware our 16mm camera cassette only held 10 minutes of film, I waited six minutes and asked, "Why don't you sing us a song, Leonard?"
And he did.
This is the result of that magical day. Unfortunately, some one at the TV station edited out some of the music. And inserted a ridiculous video wipe in the post. And discarded some beautiful music.
But the result is still a historical record I wanted to share with you.
Jay Tuck
He also uploaded the video to Vimeo with the same description but with the title "Leonard Cohen feeling hurt"

https://vimeo.com/194972159

From Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Tuck
Jay Nelson Tuck, Jr. (born April 25, 1945) is an American journalist, television producer, author, voice talent and lecturer.
ARD German Television

His German media career began in 1971 as a free-lancer for local TV at Norddeutscher Rundfunk (NDR) in Hamburg, where he interviewed many entertainment personalities, including Joan Baez, Johnny Cash, Mick Jagger, Leonard Cohen and Andy Warhol.[6] For thirty years, Jay Tuck was employed full-time by NDR and the ARD network, first as investigative reporter for NDR-Panorama and WDR-Monitor, later as war correspondent in both Gulf Wars.[7]
Susy

Re: Leonard Cohen Interview with Jay Tuck (A Singer Must Die) - Norddeutscher Rundfunk (NDR) in Hamburg

Post by Susy »

... THANK YOU xxx
Susy
oldfriend28

Re: Leonard Cohen Interview with Jay Tuck (A Singer Must Die) - Norddeutscher Rundfunk (NDR) in Hamburg

Post by oldfriend28 »

Yes, thank you for this "treat"! Wish I spoke/understood German.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

This is great. Even in '76 he was ahead of his time with the trendy one day's beard growth :)

Thank you Linda!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20

Return to “News”