Leonard on the cover - also contributions requested

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
jarkko
Site Admin

Re: Leonard on the cover - also contributions requested

Post by jarkko »

The Q magazine (UK) has a 23 page tribute in its new issue (#368).
This cover does not qualify to our Gallery of Magazines (http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/maggallery4.html)
because only a corner of the cover is used to this topic.

Thanks to Antti Huttunen for the hint.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Mollydog

Post by Mollydog »

I was surprised to find this magazine in my local grocery store. Bounder is a free Ottawa publication that describes itself as "a magazine by, for and about men". I don't know if the article by John Rowlands was written for the magazine as I have read elsewhere about his photo session with Leonard in 1974. The article is on pages 46 and 47.

http://content.yudu.com/Library/A41o3q/ ... inter-2016

1972 London/1974 London/1985 Montreal/1993 Ottawa/2008 Montreal,London O2/2009 NYC Beacon,Kingston,Ottawa X 2,Barcelona,Las Vegas,San José/2010 Malmo,Las Vegas X 2/2012 Verona,Vancouver,Montreal X 2,Ottawa,Kingston/2013 NYC, Hamilton
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Rolling Stone, Issue 267, January 2017
Inside story: 8 pages, 5 photos; and in addition an advertisement by Sony Music (1 page with photo).

Thanks to Barbara Mayer for the scan!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Now we're waiting for this special edition.
Previous issues look very stylish (featuring Dylan, Clapton, Hendrix, Beatles and so on)

The ad was scanned by Dominique Boile.
Will-Dockery

Post by Will-Dockery »

Fantastic... I have been waiting for the Uncut treatment for a while, and had often wondered why it took them so long to get to it. I have thier issues on Lou Reed and David Bowie, and both are beauties, as I am sure this one also will be.
Will-Dockery

Post by Will-Dockery »

jarkko wrote:Image

Now we're waiting for this special edition.
Previous issues look very stylish (featuring Dylan, Clapton, Hendrix, Beatles and so on)

The ad was scanned by Dominique Boile.
Leonard Cohen album guide from Uncut Magazine, finally arrives.

Uncut always does a good job on these special issues, "Ultimate Album Guide". I have the ones on Lou Reed and David Bowie, and have seen many more I wouldn't mind having. At $17 bucks a pop in the US, I don't tend o buy them all like I might have 40 years ago before the price of magazines and books went insane. A bonus is that these issues generally contain writings from the past that most or many Americans such as I haven't seen, reprinting articles and interviews from 1960s-2000s issues of the British magazine New Musical Express while we over here would be reading things like Creem, Circus or Rolling Stone. So the writings, while vintage, are fresh. And the main focus of the issue is a complete look of everything released bu L.C. from 1967 to present (and earlier, as it will surely look at his books of poems and two novels as well, which he put out before becoming a singer-songwriter). Bound to be quite a few unseen (to me and most of us) photos from those decades Cohen was a "rock star".

Pretty much an essential and quite long-awaited (after years of doing these, Uncut seems to be just now getting to Leonard Cohen, I have looked a few times) addition to the personal archives, and bound to be an absorbing read and just to gawk at.

:)
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

http://www.uncut.co.uk/blog/introducing ... uide-98830
Introducing… Leonard Cohen: The Ultimate Music Guide
John Mulvey January 10, 2017

“You'll be hearing from me baby, long after I'm gone…”

When the news broke of his death, on November 10 last year, we had just begun working on an Ultimate Music Guide to Leonard Cohen (on sale this Thursday, but available now from our online shop), emboldened by the brilliance of “You Want It Darker”.
Cohen’s passing should not have been a surprise, in the great scheme of things. Here, after all, was a man of 82 who had recently suggested to the New Yorker’s editor that he was operating in the proximity of death. There was work to complete, Cohen told David Remnick, but, he said, “I don’t think I’ll be able to finish those songs… Maybe I’ll get a second wind, I don’t know. But I don’t dare attach myself to a spiritual strategy. I’ve got some work to do. Take care of business. I am ready to die. I hope it’s not too uncomfortable. That’s about it for me.”
Cohen’s epical endurance, his talent for standing at a remove from the march of time, nevertheless meant that the announcement of his actual death still came as a kind of shock. For nearly 50 years, this uncommonly gracious man had confounded expectations of what a singer-songwriter might look and sound like, of what he might sing about. There is a clichéd expectation that certain feted musicians will choose a path of self-destruction, and Cohen undoubtedly had moments when he found himself on that trajectory. Writing about Songs Of Love And Hate in a new piece for this Ultimate Music Guide, David Cavanagh portrays, “A brilliant madman on the precipice of disaster… Maybe, if you told him he had 45 more years of life and work ahead of him, it would be no surprise if he buckled and shook until his laughter turned into a scream.”

There would be further traumatic episodes, among them a legendary – if not notably successful – spell in the company of Phil Spector. Mostly, though, the story of Leonard Cohen is one of a great artist ruefully trying to make some sense of the mysteries of life and love; trying to persevere on a quest towards transcendence, with caveats.

Read more at http://www.uncut.co.uk/blog/introducing ... DQovbWB.99
Thanks to Tom Sakic
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Rockerilla n° 436, Italy
December 2016

Source: Dominique Boile
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Mucchio n° 749, Italy
December 2016

Source: Dominique Boile
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

We have already so many posthumous magazine covers that I have split the 4th Gallery page into two:

Magazines from 1960's and 70's at http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/maggallery.html
Magazines from 1980's and 90's at http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/maggallery2.html
Magazines from 2000-2009 at http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/maggallery3.html
Magazines from 2010-October 2016 at http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/maggallery4.html
Magazines from November 2016 at http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/maggallery5.html

Your contributions to all of these pages are most welcome!! (Just post your find here, or send me PM or email!)

A cover qualifies to the gallery if more than 50 % of it is dedicated to Leonard.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Kviskoteka, Croatia
Issue 1123, November 18, 2016
Inside: two pages with color photos - including one showing your webmaster with Leonard backstage at the Pula Arena, and taken from the Gallery pages of the LC Files :razz:

Thanks to Tom Sakic for the magazine!
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Guitar Acoustic, 02/2017
Inside story: 10 pages, 5 photos and a CD (with five acoustic guitar workshop tracks: Suzanne, So long, Marianne, Bird On The Wire, Chelsea Hotel No. 2 and Hallelujah)

Thanks to Barbara Mayer for the info!!
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Leonard is on the cover of the Rock Music Chinese Magazine, February 2017 issue!

Dominiqe Boile found this. We'd appreciate more info from our Chinese members!
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

November issue of Record Collector News (California) has a long article about Leonard, written by Harvey Kubernik. Use this link to download the magazine (pdf):
http://www.recordcollectornews.com
The Brucester

Post by The Brucester »

Jarkko, I never got the chance to thank you for this Discussion Forum and for all your contributions regarding my hero and Montreal's legendary songwriter & poet, LEONARD COHEN.
I also appreciate your sharing Leonard's pics on all those Magazine covers.
So I wanted to thank you now.

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH :D

- Brucester (Montreal, QC, Canada)

Return to “News”