Tributes to Leonard around the world

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
anny

Re: Tributes to Leonard around the world

Post by anny »

wonderfull!!! thank you for sharing mary emma

anny
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

B4real wrote:Say farewell to Leonard Cohen with your favourite Aussie artists at Sydney Festival in 2017

http://hhhhappy.com/say-farewell-to-leo ... l-in-2017/
While 2016 has shattered our perception that musical legends are immortal, we will stride into 2017 still trying to cope with the departure of Leonard Cohen. In January, Sydney Festival will become a platform for Aussie artists to pay tribute.

It’s fair to say Australians admire the influential poet and musician, who’s toured Australia several times since 1980 – notably in 2009 when he also donated $200,000 to Victorian Bushfire Appeal for those affected by the Black Saturday Bushfires.

Every year, Sydney Festival hosts an outstanding celebration of Sydney’s culture, flaunting the city’s diversity in arts and music with flamboyant performances and activities.

In a fitting farewell, Sydney Festival will honour Leonard Cohen – a musical icon who had an acute impact on Australians.
The show titled Tower of Song includes a rainbow of performers joined by a choir including The Church’s Steve Kilbey, Jack Ladder, Holiday Sidewinder and Broads.

Another significant aspect of the event will be a verbally guided tour of Cohen’s last album, You Want It Darker by acclaimed Cohen interpreter Mikelangelo. Written on his deathbed, the record is one of many examples of his profound works, particularly focusing on death and God.

“This will be a night to remember as we send our beloved poet and songman, Leonard Cohen, into the great beyond,” said Sydney Festival in a statement.

You can attend Tower of Song on January 14 2017 at Meriton Festival Village in Hyde Park North. Information about tickets can be found here.
http://www.sydneyfestival.org.au/2017/tower-of-song

SF17_TowerofSong_EventHero_1240x460_2.jpg
I attended this tribute concert In Sydney on Saturday evening, along with my Cohenite friend Richard from Newcastle. It was held in the packed Magic Mirrors Spiegeltent in Hyde Park and I must report that it was an excellent show, with a range of wonderful Aussie artists (curated and headed by Mikelangelo), plus a especially recruited choir, enthusiastically and fittingly paying homage to Leonard with interesting and beautiful arrangements of 18 of his songs, including You Want It Darker and Treaty. 8) :D

Cheers,
Andrew :)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Noteworthy that Montreal Mayor Coderre refers to Leonard Cohen as “the embodiment of Montreal” and "insisted that some memorial, whether in renaming a street, a park or some other site would be carried out."

http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-n ... derre-says
Leonard Cohen memorial will have family's input, Montreal Mayor Denis Coderre says

Published on: January 25, 2017 | Last Updated: January 25, 2017 10:50 AM EST

Leonard Cohen's Montreal home was the site of a memorial and communal gatherings in the days after his death in November.

Plans for a memorial to Montreal singer/song writer Leonard Cohen are being made and have involved discussions with the late artist’s family, Montreal Mayor Denis Coderre told the city’s executive committee Wednesday morning.

Coderre told the committee that over the next few weeks he will “make proposals … to concretely recognize the memory of Leonard Cohen,” he said, noting he had taken into account “the feelings” of Cohen’s family. “We have three specific projects, we’re still firming things up and they’re coming along well and we will be working in collaboration with the family.”

Cohen, who died in November at the age of 82, was described by Coderre in the days after his death as “the embodiment of Montreal” and insisted that some memorial, whether in renaming a street, a park or some other site would be carried out.
sebmelmoth2003

Post by sebmelmoth2003 »

mojo magazine - february issue, 2017 - issue 279.

sylvie simmons farewells leonard - page 60 et seq.

madelieine peyroux farewells leonard - page 63

bono farewells leonard via interview with alan light - page 65

john cale farewells leonard - page 67

matthew white farewells leonard - page 68.

interview with pixie geldof - page 9 - "i would have loved to have taken a walk around leonard cohen's mind, what a world that must've been".

http://www.mojo4music.com/24916/mojo-279-february-2017/
B4real

Post by B4real »

Local musos pay tribute to Leonard Cohen
at Nambucca Heads a town on the Mid North Coast of New South Wales, Australia.

http://www.nambuccaguardian.com.au/stor ... n-tribute/

On Sunday, March 19, musicians from around the region will gather to celebrate the music of the late Leonard Cohen, who was without doubt one of the outstanding songwriter/poets of our time.

For over fifty years, Cohen inspired audiences and writers with his insightful, haunting lyrics, appealing to fans from early ‘beat generation’ musicians to contemporary artists like Nick Cave, Anthony and Martha and Rufus Wainwright.
Come along to this free family event at the Riverside Stage on the Urunga Foreshore from 1 – 4 pm for an entertaining, soulful rendering of some of Cohen’s well-loved songs.

The concert is an alcohol-free event.
For more information phone on Rob Simpson 0429 402 325.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

I don't see this posted - and it's such a nice article. It also provides a good guide for Leonard's friends who might visit Montreal.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/10/trav ... .html?_r=0

I've included 2 pictures - but click on the link to see all the pictures included in the article.
Exploring the Montreal That Leonard Cohen Loved

Footsteps

By ROSE MAURA LORRE FEB. 10, 2017

In the jacket copy of his 1961 poetry collection “The Spice-Box of Earth,” a 20-something Leonard Cohen wrote, “I have to keep coming back to Montreal to renew my neurotic affiliations.”

Soon, the city’s cherished son followed his inclinations toward music, and would eventually achieve global-icon status thanks to his signature talent for such pensive sentiments. The brooding vocals and philosophical lyrics of anthems like “Suzanne” and “Hallelujah” earned him nicknames like the “godfather of gloom” and the “poet laureate of pessimism.”

Somewhere along the way, though, Mr. Cohen’s hometown anxieties softened into affection. “I feel at home when I’m in Montreal — in a way that I don’t feel anywhere else,” he told an interviewer in 2006. “I don’t know what it is, but the feeling gets stronger as I get older.” Proof of that can still be found today along the streets of Montreal’s Little Portugal, which served as his hometown headquarters for the latter half of his life.

Artists and immigrants (first Jewish, later Portuguese) have shared this sliver of the greater Plateau neighborhood for close to a century. Today, locals still trade anecdotes about spotting Mr. Cohen at his favorite restaurants or having a friendly chat with him along The Main, Montreal vernacular for Boulevard St.-Laurent, the Plateau’s cultural artery.

The songwriter and poet in 1973 in Manhattan. Credit Librado Romero/The New York Times

True to his dust-jacket proclamation, the nomadic Mr. Cohen returned to Montreal sporadically throughout his adult life, and so, until his death in November at the age of 82, if your timing was fortuitous, you might have seen him on the steps of the gray stone triplex he purchased just off The Main in the early 1970s. With his often-present laptop perched on his knees, it’s where he exchanged pleasantries with neighbors he’d known for decades or called out to acquaintances lingering in the pocket-size Parc du Portugal across Rue Vallières.

An Appraisal: Leonard Cohen, Master of Meanings and Incantatory Verse NOV. 11, 2016
During a recent attempt to retrace Mr. Cohen’s relationship with my adopted home city — spurred on by the fact that, until his death, I had not known that we were such close Plateau neighbors, living only a 15-minute walk apart — I discovered that the best evidence that he reveled in Montreal’s comfortable clasp was found on his feet.

“One day he was in back of me at the bakery,” Ida Ponte, a manager at the J. Schreter apparel store on The Main, told me as she recalled her visits to another St.-Laurent staple, Les Anges Gourmets. Like many Little Portugal mainstays, Les Anges offers a cross-cultural array of goods, as renowned for its French patisserie as for its Portuguese egg custard tarts, pasteis de natas. “I didn’t know he was there and he just leans over and whispers to me, ‘You’re the only one who knows I’m wearing slippers.’”

Mr. Cohen’s preferred footwear for padding around Little Portugal — always the same Foamtreads slippers, purchased at J. Schreter — illustrated his rapport with the middle-class neighborhood that served as his Montreal home base after a childhood spent in the tonier Westmount enclave. Sotto voce and sly-humored, polite and without airs, Mr. Cohen exuded a big-hearted bonhomie for the people and for the places he loyally patronized.

“That’s the thing that stands out more than anything else for me: He liked to wear a very comfortable slipper as a shoe,” said Steve Schreter, who now owns the business, founded by his father’s cousin. “It didn’t prevent him from walking around the street.”

In fact, little did. When in town, Mr. Cohen was a creature of habit, returning to a string of family-owned businesses found along The Main, all easily reached by foot. (“Suzanne,” his most famous example of Montreal-set songwriting, references the city’s Old Port several miles away.) His favorite locales are, as he was, Montreal institutions.

Mr. Cohen’s days routinely began with a freshly pulled espresso at Bagel Etc., a 35-year-old diner and cafe where vintage mirrors, signage and art run amok on the brick walls. You might assume the décor was inherited from the antiques shop that once occupied the southern half of Bagel Etc.’s double storefront, but as Simon Rosson, an owner, told me, “some of it’s from a funeral home.”

Beyond bagels — one or two varieties, delivered from nearby Fairmount Bagels — the breakfast-and-lunch menu builds on the appealingly scattershot feel of the place. Its famous huevos rancheros are offered alongside sweet and savory blintzes, knockwurst and pepperette, and for dessert, strudel — which, when I ordered it in December, was charmingly if incongruously accompanied by a tuft of canned whipped cream topped with a single red grape.

The Montreal triplex Leonard Cohen bought in the early 1970s and to which he returned. Credit Alexi Hobbs for The New York Times

Mr. Rosson got into the habit of opening early for Mr. Cohen when he starting working at the shop in 2001. “I was smoking my cigarette outside one morning, and he’s peeking through his window to see if I’ve actually opened the doors,” he said. “I know he’s not going to eat anything, so it doesn’t matter if I don’t have anything prepared. I can make the guy an allongé” — a tall espresso. “So I wave him down, like, ‘Leonard, just come on.’”

When he was occupying his preferred stool at the counter, television, of all things, became a favorite topic for Mr. Cohen. (Brass nameplates honoring regulars line several booths at Bagel Etc.; Mr. Cohen’s stool marker was presumably swiped by a fan years ago.)

“He was always on his laptop. He was talking about Project Free TV, this website to get free TV shows,” Mr. Rosson recalled. “He says, ‘Brother’ — always ‘brother’ or ‘friend’ — ‘have you seen “John From Cincinnati”?’” (Mr. Cohen was referring to a short-lived HBO drama starring his onetime fiancée, Rebecca De Mornay.) Ms. De Mornay, he said, had called Mr. Cohen and asked his opinion of the show. Mr. Rosson then told him, “Give me her phone number, because I want to phone her and say, ‘What the heck’s going on in this show?’” (He used a bluer expression than “heck.”)

Farther south along the boulevard, Mr. Cohen (who was a vegetarian for a few years in the 1960s) indulged his love for Montreal’s acclaimed smoked meat, or viande fumée, a local specialty made from high-fat beef brisket that’s typically salted and cured for a week before being smoked, steamed and hand-sliced to order. “I like this place because it’s open all night,” he told the now-defunct Montreal Daily News in 1988, referring to Main Deli Steak House, a scruffy Jewish deli he famously frequented (a newspaper clipping is displayed near the door). “The smoked meat tastes great, too, especially after five months on the road.”

Indeed, the menu appears tailor-made for the ravenous, after-hours crowd; you can get a jumbo hot dog or a 20-ounce “jumbo rib steak,” as well as dauntingly hearty dishes like spaghetti with smoked meat. A traditional viande fumée sandwich served on mustard-soused slices of rye, however, makes for a decadent lunch on its own.

If Mr. Cohen felt a kinship with local proprietors based on common geography and ancestry, another quality they shared was an ability to self-reinvent. When J. Schreter opened in 1928, its customers included peddlers who resold their no-frills apparel to farmers and similar clientele. When Mr. Cohen posed for a photo with the family outside the store in 1986 — “Can I come into your picture?” Mr. Schreter recalls Mr. Cohen asking as he walked by — their sign still noted “Gros et Detail” (wholesale and retail) merchandise.

Today, J. Schreter’s attractive racks of clothing, shoes and accessories come from fashion-forward brands known for classic styling, like Ben Schwartz Oxford shirts, Tom’s shoes and Herschel backpacks.

Nearby, Quincaillerie Azores, where Mr. Cohen purchased items for small home repairs (many executed free by the Pereira family, which owns the business), tells a similar story. Gabriel Pereira arrived in 1956 from the Azores archipelago off the Portuguese coast. In 1968, he opened his hardware store and began serving the construction trade.

These days, under the management of Mr. Pereira’s five adult children, the store has become Quebec’s largest seller of roosters of Barcelos. Tour groups schedule stops at Azores to pick up the vibrantly hued, ornamental birds traditionally given in Portuguese culture as good-luck presents for weddings and housewarmings. “There used to be a lot of Portuguese families that lived here, but I would say toward the end of the ’80s, you would see less,” said Kevin Pereira, one of the second-generation owners. “The Plateau started to be pricey, more expensive. We adapted.” Housewares and gifts occupy the window displays, including fine examples of Portuguese clay pottery.

At 79-year-old Moishes Steak House, a well-known establishment where Mr. Cohen dined several nights a week, the modifications are more subtle. Graffitied canvases contrast with the sumptuous leather, velvet and brick textures of the interior, while an after-9 p.m. menu introduced about five years ago brings a younger demographic through the doors.

Moishes also boasts a back story that Mr. Cohen would have appreciated: After immigrating from Romania in the 1920s, Moishe Lighter worked at the restaurant, then called Saffrin’s, when he won it from Mr. Saffrin in a poker game in 1938.

Mr. Cohen would always arrive at Moishes with company and greet its current owner, Leonard, one of Moishe’s sons, with the same jovial if mysterious hello: “They’re never gonna get us, Leonard. They’re never gonna get us.” He would request lamb chops and a red Bordeaux. “He loved our lamb chops. He called them Silence of the Lamb chops. ‘I’ll have an order of the Silence of the Lamb chops.’ That was really his character,” Mr. Lighter said.

“We always have celebrities come in, people from everywhere; when they were in Montreal, they ended up here and still do. It was different with him. He was a Montrealer, and he was here. He lived in the neighborhood. He was just Leonard Cohen from Montreal.”

If You Go
What to read

Among several worthwhile Leonard Cohen biographies, the rock journalist Sylvie Simmons’s “I’m Your Man: The Life of Leonard Cohen” offers a thorough and rollicking account of the singer-songwriter’s geographic, romantic and artistic wanderings.

Mr. Cohen’s own bibliography includes two novels and a litany of poetry collections; “The Spice-Box of Earth” was written during his 20s in Montreal and solidified his status on the Canadian poetry scene.
What to do

J. Schreter, 4358 Boulevard St-Laurent; 514-845-4231; schreter.com.

Les Anges Gourmets, 4247 Boulevard St-Laurent; 514-281-6947; facebook.com/pages/Les-Anges-Gourmets/224055850938160.

Bagel Etc., 4320 Boulevard St-Laurent; 514-845-9462; facebook.com/pages/Bagel-etc/132966133418240.

Main Deli Steak House, 3864 Boulevard St-Laurent; 514-843-8126; maindelisteakhouse.com.

Quincaillerie Azores, 4299 Boulevard St-Laurent; 514-845-3543; hhazores.ca.

Moishes Steakhouse, 3961 Boulevard St-Laurent; 514-845-3509; moishes.ca.
What to see

Nearby Mount Royal Park (the mountain gave the city its name) was designed by Frederick Law Olmsted and serves as a year-round recreation space for hikers, cross-country skiers and more. A sweeping view of downtown awaits those who make it to the top.

Mr. Cohen was buried at his family plot in the Congregation Shaar Hashomayim Cemetery along the base of the mountain.
vickiwoodyard

Post by vickiwoodyard »

One of my favorite articles about the Man. Thank you so much for posting it. I thought I recognized those slippers in a photo of his.
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Thank you, Linda for posting this. In addition to interesting reading, we plan to visit Montreal soon and it will be very helpful!

Joe & Anne
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

vickiwoodyard wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:51 am One of my favorite articles about the Man. Thank you so much for posting it. I thought I recognized those slippers in a photo of his.
Foamtread Slippers sold by Schreter's :)

http://schreter.com/men/shoes/slippers.html

FOAMTREADS MEN'S REGAL

True to FOAMTREAD tradition of laid-back comfort, the REGAL is the icon of men slippers. Famous for its supple feel and cozy features, the REGAL comes with built in comfort from its dual density rubber outsole.

Construction:
Upper Material: FT Velour / Chip Velour
Lining Material: Nylex (Polyester Blend) / GroGrain
Sole Material: True Rubber
Midsole Material: True Rubber
Insole component: 3mm EVA
Insole Lining Material: Nylex / GroGrain
Washable

If you do not see the size or colour you want. Or you have any questions or concerns about this product, please contact us. 1-514-845-4231 or Email us: info@schreter.com
http://schreter.com/men/shoes/slippers/ ... black.html
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

This is a not so recent article, published shortly after Leonard's death by a journalist cousin of his, Andrew Cohen:

http://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/column ... real-roots#

Apologies if it's already been posted here on the Forum - I did do a search, but could only find an article by Andrew Cohen published in Dec 2012. However, I note that some portions of that earlier article have been repeated in this one.

Cheers,
Andrew :)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
B4real

Post by B4real »

Tribute to Leonard Cohen this Friday in Goulburn, New South Wales, Australia

http://www.goulburnpost.com.au/story/45 ... e-to-icon/
David Cole
@davecole66
23 Mar 2017, 10:13 a.m
He was a poet, a songwriter and a novelist.

Along with Bob Dylan, he changed popular music by writing lyrics that were actually more like poetry than pop song melodies.

He reinvented himself many times during his long career and survived with his integrity and his vision intact. He is of course – Leonard Cohen.

The Music Place - Goulburn (the Goulburn Regional Conservatorium) is bringing together musicians from Goulburn and surrounds for a one-off gala concert in memory of this great singer-songwriter – to be held in the Old Ceramics Room on Friday, March 24.

The concert will feature a number of local groups and soloists, including the Goulburn Concert Band, Taralga Ukulele Group, Broken Arrow, Contabilé Choir, Ed Suttle, Ursula Stephens, The Goulburn Regional Ukulele Band, Paul Scott-Williams, Amber Cameron, Re:Zone8 Vocal Youth, Alfresco Jubilo, Goulburn Community Choir, GRC Recorder Ensemble, Ukeful @ Heart and more.

“Leonard Cohen was, without doubt, one of the outstanding songwriters/poets of our time,”  President of the Goulburn Regional Conservatorium Ursula Stephens said.

“For over 50 years, he inspired audiences and writers with his insightful, haunting lyrics appealing to fans from early 'beat generation' musicians to contemporary artists like Nick Cave, K.d.Lang and Rufus Wainwright.

Come along to an entertaining, soulful rendering of some of Cohen's well loved songs and join in a final Halleluiah! for the great man.“

The night starts at 7pm and tickets will be available at the door, though bookings are appreciated. Book by calling the GRC on 4821 8833. It is in the Old Ceramics Room, The Music Place - Goulburn, 160 Bourke Street.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Mollydog

Post by Mollydog »

Feist will be performing during the ceremony, paying homage to one of Canada's greatest and most missed musicians.

Feist will perform a tribute to Leonard Cohen, debuting what has only been described as "a moving arrangement of one of Cohen's classic songs."
http://exclaim.ca/music/article/feist_t ... _the_junos
1972 London/1974 London/1985 Montreal/1993 Ottawa/2008 Montreal,London O2/2009 NYC Beacon,Kingston,Ottawa X 2,Barcelona,Las Vegas,San José/2010 Malmo,Las Vegas X 2/2012 Verona,Vancouver,Montreal X 2,Ottawa,Kingston/2013 NYC, Hamilton
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

A 20 story tribute to come.

Let say of the street.

Crescent Street.
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers

Return to “News”