Leonard Has Passed Away

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
vickiwoodyard

Re: Leonard Has Passed Away

Postby vickiwoodyard » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:55 pm

What a lovely sentiment!
Janne

Postby Janne » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:02 am

Fare you well my nightingale

It's the first time I dare to tell: Last year at the middle of november I was sitting on our garden bench in Germany near Munich next to a pakistani friend of my family who helped doing some late garden work before winter.

He came as a refugee to Germany one year before and so we mostly still were talking in English.

Suddenly we discovered 2 strange looking birds next to us behind the wire-mesh fence in the neighbour's Garden.

In November there are only black crows and very few small oscine birds left in the gardens.

These 2 birds were neither of them. One was as tall as a crow but beautifully black and white. The other one was smaller and less beautiful, simply brown.

They were sitting between 2 bushes close to us, looking at each other for such a long time, doing nothing special, that we thought this was really strange.

Somehow tame and very different looking as if not birds of the same species I thought they looked like string puppets of a puppet theatre.

My friend who has studied biology before his escape to Europe said the beautiful bird was a crow.

"And the other one his inconsiderable wife?" I asked.

"No," he answered and checked the english translation for the species he was thinking of at his mobile: "The other one is a nightingale."

I really got frozen because I never ever before saw a nightingale. In November? Here?
But my friend was sure whether this made the bird's behaviour completely strange or not!

Unbelievable!

And then I felt happy.
loska

Postby loska » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:52 am

I am so grateful for this forum, now when I hear LC songs, and I still do it frequently, usually sort of a binge listening for a week or so, it feels good to come here and read all the older posts, here I am among friends who loved him just as much.
2009 New York, 2009 Tampa, 2012 New York, 2013 Tampa
greyfeathers

Postby greyfeathers » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:13 pm

I MISS HIM.
Patrycja

Postby Patrycja » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:58 am

I miss Leonard, even though with time the acceptance has come that it was his time to go. I had two dreams about him, one on the first Saturday just after his passing on, the other six months to the day, and these visits were great gifts in softening the sharpness that such a finality brings.

Today I was reading a bit from the book "Leonard Cohen on Leonard Cohen". Leonard was tuning his guitar for the third time in Nashville's Exit-In. A drunk guy quipped, "Good enough for folk music!" Leonard finished tuning and responded, "Yeah, but not good enough for eternity." It is now. All of it.

That's one of my essential impressions of Leonard: the dignity in the effort, of always fine tuning for eternity in all its facets.
Will... If It Be Your Will

Return to “News”