Leonard Has Passed Away

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
anny

Re: Leonard Hais Passed Away

Post by anny »

seadove wrote:Hello
Idon't know if anyone will remember me from back then but I used to practically live here.

When I heard the news I was in deep shock, and II held my the no ears back just to understand life without Leonard. I scooped out a disc and heard hia "anthum" song and finally my the no ears ears came out.

His music will live for ever. That's for sure.

See yyou guys

Hi Seadove, I do remember you and your jokes ! miss you around here and I hope you're oke...wish you all the best in this new year...keep safe !!!
LOVE PEACE HAPPINESS
anny
alb123

Re: Leonard Has Passed Away

Post by alb123 »

davidrichards wrote:Am I in a minority finding the "Optional final verse" both inappropriate and offensive?
My feelings are the same as yours. I am so sick and tired of every single web forum I visit, that have absolutely nothing to do with politics, will always have at least one politically charged posting. I came to visit this thread because I have been absent from leonardcohenforum.com since Leonard's passing...and then I have to see that nonsense. :roll:

I knew that Mr. Cohen wouldn't live forever. Heck, when I got into Leonard's work (1992) he was already 58 years old! :shock: I was definitely sad when I heard the news of his passing, but it's not like I lost a family member. I came here to post my condolences, probably in this very thread and I haven't been back until today.

Does anyone else find themselves in a state where you can't even listen to his songs anymore? Obviously, I was in denial when I first heard that he passed away because I find myself randomly zoning out and just thinking about Leonard and how I will never hear a new song of his, never read a new poem of his, never see a new photo of Lenny. Why is it eating me up like this? If I even think about starting a Leonard Cohen record I practically want to cry. I hate this feeling. It needs to go away soon because I can't take it anymore.

I miss you, Leonard. May you be somewhere peaceful.
Waterbury, CT - May 14, 2009
Las Vegas, NV - Dec 11, 2010 (Final Show of Leonard's 3 year World Tour) INCREDIBLE!
Boston, MA - Dec 15, 2012 (Best L.C. concert I've been to!)
bigdee

Post by bigdee »

alb123 wrote:
davidrichards wrote:Am I in a minority finding the "Optional final verse" both inappropriate and offensive?
My feelings are the same as yours. I am so sick and tired of every single web forum I visit, that have absolutely nothing to do with politics, will always have at least one politically charged posting. I came to visit this thread because I have been absent from leonardcohenforum.com since Leonard's passing...and then I have to see that nonsense. :roll:

I knew that Mr. Cohen wouldn't live forever. Heck, when I got into Leonard's work (1992) he was already 58 years old! :shock: I was definitely sad when I heard the news of his passing, but it's not like I lost a family member. I came here to post my condolences, probably in this very thread and I haven't been back until today.

Does anyone else find themselves in a state where you can't even listen to his songs anymore? Obviously, I was in denial when I first heard that he passed away because I find myself randomly zoning out and just thinking about Leonard and how I will never hear a new song of his, never read a new poem of his, never see a new photo of Lenny. Why is it eating me up like this? If I even think about starting a Leonard Cohen record I practically want to cry. I hate this feeling. It needs to go away soon because I can't take it anymore.

I know what you mean, but I took a different approach to addressing my grief. At first I found I didn't want to play the new album any more (which at the time of his death was probably on about it's 10th play on my car stereo). Then I found myself wondering what would make the clouds part whenever I think about LC. So I made it a point to force myself to revisit all of the albums (both studio and live) and listen to them in the order they were released from "Songs of" right up to "You Want it Darker". I admit it was tough listening to the first few albums, but, as time passed and I got deeper into the catalog, I found myself thinking less and less about the fact that he was gone and more about my own memories of discovering LC, when was the first time I heard each album and what was going on in my life at those times. I'm not sure if it would help you to try doing something like that but it certainly did help me.

Also you should never say never when it comes to new material coming out. While there will never be another "current" new song or poem, you should remember that LC was always working and writing and certainly didn't release everything he ever committed to paper or tape recorder. So there is still more material that will be new to us whenever any of it is eventually released. See this thread viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37221&p=364192#p364192
1993: Philadelphia July 15 2008: Montreal June 23,24,25 2009: NYC Feb 19/ Columbia May 11/ Philadelphia May 12/ Waterbury May 14/ NYC May 16,17/ Boston May 29,30/ Philadelphia Oct 22/ NYC Oct 23/ Cleveland Oct 25 2010: Vegas Dec 10,11 2012: Boston Dec 15,16/ NYC Dec 18,20 2013: NYC Apr 6,7
abby

Post by abby »

I think I remember that there was an archive of work that wasn't to be released until after Leonard's death but I can't remember any details. Does anyone recall? Thank you to anyone who responds.
bigdee

Post by bigdee »

abby wrote:I think I remember that there was an archive of work that wasn't to be released until after Leonard's death but I can't remember any details. Does anyone recall? Thank you to anyone who responds.
That would be part of the 140 boxes of stuff he donated to the University of Toronto's Thomas Fisher Rare Book Library. Some of the boxes were not to be opened until after he passed away. I also believe I read somewhere that the contents of those "Do Not Open" boxes are not to be made public until after the other parties involved have also all passed away. That leads me to believe that those boxes probably contain love letters and personal poems to whoever may have been his muse at the time they were written. Anyway here's a link to a story about the stuff.

http://torontolife.com/culture/music/lo ... um=twitter
1993: Philadelphia July 15 2008: Montreal June 23,24,25 2009: NYC Feb 19/ Columbia May 11/ Philadelphia May 12/ Waterbury May 14/ NYC May 16,17/ Boston May 29,30/ Philadelphia Oct 22/ NYC Oct 23/ Cleveland Oct 25 2010: Vegas Dec 10,11 2012: Boston Dec 15,16/ NYC Dec 18,20 2013: NYC Apr 6,7
Diane

Post by Diane »

Just came across this from Shinzen Young, posted back in December: http://www.shinzen.org/remembering-leonard-cohen/
the world recently lost Leonard Cohen, poet extraordinaire and old dharma bud of mine.
He includes the video of Stina Dabrowski's 1997 interview with Leonard at Mount Baldy. I had only read the transcript before - great to see this.
leonesa

Post by leonesa »

thanks a lot!!
anne alexander

Post by anne alexander »

alb123 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:24 pm

I was like that for a long time and as the other person said I just made myself listen and now I can and although I'm still sad it's better. it won't ever be the same though. love him and grateful always.
Henning

Post by Henning »

One last look at the pretty moon
And then he went down like a stone
We knew that it would happen soon
For all his flesh fell from the bone

Half a year without the man
No word, no tune, no blessing
We try to smile as best we can
It's darker since his passing
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
vickiwoodyard

Post by vickiwoodyard »

I am always happy to see that those who love and miss him have written something in his honor. And these are lovely words. I listen to him nightly.

Thank you.
anny

Post by anny »

Thank you Henning, your lyricks are beautiful...I listen to our Leonard every night too
Roy

Post by Roy »

The In Memoriam video at the 2017 Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame induction ceremony started with Leonard Cohen and ended with Prince. Leonard Cohen's Boogie Street played throughout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaBMOTLCnMM

3 hours and 30 minutes in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaBMOTLCnMM&t=12623s
LEONARD COHEN | HALLS OF FAME
The Official Halls of Fame Biographies of Leonard Cohen
http://www.leonardcohenhallsoffame.blogspot.com
malbus

Post by malbus »

My condolence to his family.
I was just doing looking for his upcoming tour show. Damn! Too early.
May you rest in peace.
Thank you Leonard
I love you forever
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I agree that your lyrics are beautiful, Henning, and I especially agree with their content. I hope you and everyone else who goes have an uplifting way of processing his loss together. This remains a very sad time.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
rmorgan

Post by rmorgan »

I feel that, every time a human heart comes to Love, and abandons Hate
with the humility that befits a refugee
dressed in rags of Light,
Leonard lives again and his spirit moves among us all.

Return to “News”