Leonard Has Passed Away

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
rpan

Re: Leonard Has Passed Away

Post by rpan »

Cannot vouch for accuracy but Glen Hansard posted this on twitter..

"Leonard died in his sleep last Monday.. After an evening of writing new poems, It's a comfort to know that.."

I hope it is so, it distressed me to see his physical decline and I think he truly experienced the cruelty as well as the grace in his last months.

I freely admit to bouts of weeping over this weekend, I came late to Leonard Cohen and he certainly changed my whole outlook on life, others have said everything there is to say.

RIP. I love the item below posted on twitter by someone.
Attachments
IMG_0577.JPG
"We were broken then, but now we're borderline"
---------------------------------------------------------------------
2009: Dublin - Lisbon - Barcelona - San Jose
2010: Sligo - Florence - Marseille - Lille - Las Vegas
2012: Wembley - Kilmainham - Paris - Montreal
2013: London O2 - Lucca - Dublin
Olwen

Post by Olwen »

RTE Lyric FM Sunday November 13th at 8pm Irish time- a tribute to Leonard Cohen.

Closing time
Olwen
Olwen
Plymouth 1976, Kilmainham Dublin 2008, 02 Dublin 2009, Lissadel Sligo 2010,
Kilmainham, Dublin 2012, 02 Dublin 2013, Leonard Cohen Dublin Event 2014.
Florian

Post by Florian »

I don't find the right words to express my feelings right now, so i won't try.

But i'd like to take the chance to say my deep condolence to Leonard Cohens Family and to his friends.
Thank you Leonard Cohen for giving us all you got, 'till the very end.

Rest In Peace
boirina

Post by boirina »

I've had a hard time dealing with my feelings since I read about Leonard's death on Friday at 3 a.m.

I knew it was coming, but I guess that I was not the only one not wanting to acknowledge the fact. I remember thinking that in the last interview he looked too much like my father did at the end of his life, but I managed to dismiss that thought.

Leonard's music marked my transition into adulthood. Maybe some of you remember the story (if you don't, you can look it up, it's still here) of how his music happened in my ear when I had just turned nineteen. Since that day there has never been an important event in my life in which his music or his poetry wasn't there. He has helped me grief, celebrate, go through pain and grow. For that I will always be grateful.

I've felt many thing is this last few days. The sense of loss has been brutal. I had to realise that, whatever happens in my life from now on, I will have to make do with his old words because there will be no new words from him. I felt lost. And then I realised that if all he has written in his lifetime was enough for him (listening to his last album you get that feeling, that it was just enough, that there wasn't anything else he needed to say) then it must also be enough for me. And I felt grateful again.

And now I'm feeling guilty again, for all I haven't done in the past. But somehow losing Leonard has made me realize that I cannot afford "not doing" any longer. I used to write poetry, you know, a lifetime ago. Everything was OK when I was only sharing my poetry with close friends but it all started to feel really uncomfortable when I had to share with complete strangers. I now feel that I must go back to words, to my personal code, and to sharing, first with friends and then maybe with strangers too. And now that I've told you I feel like I'm about to jump off a cliff.

But, you see, that's how it works with Leonard. I feel like I'm still learning from him after his death. :)

And it's so good to know that we will all carry him in our hearts as long as we live...
* Palma 1988 * Lisboa 2008 * Lisboa 2009 *
* Palma 2009 * Lisboa 2010 * Lisboa 2012 *
Neil.S

Post by Neil.S »

No one else has made music with style, heart and soul like Leonard Cohen.

Irreplaceable. Iconic. Artistic genius.

Neil.
fan5373

Post by fan5373 »

Nooo.... :cry:
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Dear Leonard,
May you rest in peace, dear Leonard. I already miss you. It was always a comfort for me to know that somewhere, out there, in this big old world, there was you. And now I have been thinking - you will never be forgotten. You will live forever, for as long as ‘forever and ever’ exists. With all that you have left behind, you will surely live on. In the hearts and minds of all who knew you, and of all those who knew of you, and of all those who will now come to love and know all about you. We thank you.

I offer my sincere condolences to Leonard’s family and to all his friends.

Linda

The darker the night, the brighter the stars,
The deeper the grief, the closer is God!

~~ Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Z611x04

Post by Z611x04 »

I wanted to register before, but now i did, at last. As an life long admirer of Leonard Cohen, i feel sad of his passing away, but also greatfull for his songs and greatfull for his long and productive life, and that he died while he had good relations with his children and with himself. He has been the teacher of my teens and a great inspirator for writing and so much more, he touched my soul and was a wonderfull craftsman in songwriting and a beautifull man. I wish the family lots of strengh, and love.
Amsterdam 2010 and 2014.
msadurski

Post by msadurski »

Why?????
So sad!
You promised us to live till 110, didn't you?
I regret I didn't go to the last concerts in Poland. I regret I've never wrote 'Happy birthday, Leonard'
I thought I still had plenty of time to do that.
:-(
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

Seven days after the seven, a supermoon appears in the sky. A rare natural phenomenon. What a beautiful symbol.

For a rare human phenomenon.

Condolences to the family, particularly to Lorca and Adam. (Adam what a beautiful work you did with the last album!)

And for a rare artistic phenomenon.

Condolences to all his fans, great and small.

You know how I feel.

How Lucky were we.

Love!
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
Gentle Reader

Post by Gentle Reader »

Jean Fournell wrote:So knowing and mourning are holding hands once again,
time having taken its inevitable toll.

Those he leaves behind are orphans now, all of us and we inherit a rare treasure.

Let me bow to both truths, the awful one and the grateful one,
and let sadness do what it must.

My condolences to his family, and my loving respect to himself.

Farewell, Leonard Cohen.
Gassho

Thank you for your beautiful sentiments.
ScottM

Post by ScottM »

Johnny Walker,s sound of the 70s on BBC radio 2 today featured Bird on the wire and So long Marianne. As well as extracts from previous interviews with Leonard. Johnny also read out a few anecdotes about listeners experiences related to Leonard. The show also features tracks from dozens of other great artists including The Velvet Underground, Paul Simon and Led Zeppelin and an interview with Joan Armatrading. The programme will be a available to listeners in the UK on the BBC website on the radio 2 page. Usually the programmes are available for about a week.
2008: Dublin/London (O2)-Jul 17/London (O2)-Nov 13/London (RAH)/Brighton
2009: Liverpool/Madrid/Barcelona
2010: Sligo x2/Lille/Las Vegas x2
2012: Ghent/Amsterdam/London x2/Dublin Sep 11&12/Paris Sep 28
2013: London (O2) Jun 21/Brighton/Manchester/Cardiff/Birmingham/Amsterdam
ScottM

Post by ScottM »

Tom Robinson on BBC 6 music is playing 2 hours of listeners suggestions to mark Leonard's passing. The programme started at 6.00 pm UK time and includes versions of his songs by other artists. So far including Martha Wainright and Nina Simone..again I believe the programme will probably be available to UK listeners on the BBC iPlayer.
2008: Dublin/London (O2)-Jul 17/London (O2)-Nov 13/London (RAH)/Brighton
2009: Liverpool/Madrid/Barcelona
2010: Sligo x2/Lille/Las Vegas x2
2012: Ghent/Amsterdam/London x2/Dublin Sep 11&12/Paris Sep 28
2013: London (O2) Jun 21/Brighton/Manchester/Cardiff/Birmingham/Amsterdam
POZEST

Post by POZEST »

I can’t say I knew this day was coming… I expected my friend, Leonard Cohen, to continue to play/tour like the maestro Ennio Morricone is doing in his late 80s.

Leonard told us he was ready to go home in his Old Ideas Album… and again he stated it when he said was leaving the table in the You Want it Darker Album… I was still processing the song when I awoke this morning to a text message from my good friend offering his condolences to me over Leonard.

After seeing Mr. Cohen for my first time in Los Angeles in 2009, I became hooked on his live concert experience and as a result am thankful for I was able to visit Chicago, Austin, San Jose (2x), Oakland (back to back), and Portland (2x) for the sole purpose of seeing him in concert. In Chicago, we were able to meet the band beforehand in the theater lobby.

I generated my tears the next morning as I read the news from bed and my comfort was lying beside me; a 16 month old baby princess; my sleeping daughter. I must take my Black fedora I haven’t worn in years that I purchased after my friend Leonard Cohen and wear it again.

Thank you for the music; thank you for the shows, thank you for the new found friends and friends to be made over you in the future, and thank you for showing me how to live with wit, humor, and grace.
scorp

Post by scorp »

By later in June, 2008, Leonard had started a tour and had arrived in the UK. The venues, before he turned up at Glastonbury Festival that month, ranged from the modest to medium size. But Glastonbury was different. It was huge. How would the crowd respond? Would it respond at all? Would many, or anybody, turn up at the main stage - the Pyramid Stage, to see King Cohen? He had plenty of competition from acts on many other stages at the same time. But - he drew a huge and highly appreciative crowd. Some of you will remember that he didn't permit the BBC to film his session, to the disappointment of many at home and abroad. A few of us in the crowd, however, unknown to each other, used our cameras to do some filming, unaware of the BBC ban. Here is "Hallelujah", by our beloved Leonard Cohen. After Glastonbury, the tour was extended. Some of you will remember this clip - you were so relieved to see clips appearing on youtube, such as this one by me did. Love you, Len, and thanks for everything. x

Friends - enjoy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-N67RjFFKs
Last edited by scorp on Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “News”