Chor Leoni men's choir celebrates Leonard Cohen on new album

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Mollydog

Chor Leoni men's choir celebrates Leonard Cohen on new album

Post by Mollydog »

Here's a recent CBC Music article I've been meaning to post:
When you think of choral music, Leonard Cohen is not the first name that comes to mind. Chor Leoni, the celebrated Vancouver men's choir, is set to change that perception with its latest album, Wandering Heart, due out Nov. 1.

The album includes five world premiere recordings, including the title track, a work by Latvian composer Ēriks Ešenvalds based on texts by Cohen. It's the first composition to result from Chor Leoni's commissioning fund named in honour of its founding director, the late Diane Loomer.

"I knew I wanted to commission Ēriks Ešenvalds for the first commission from this fund but I did not go into this project with a clear sense of what text we would use," explained Chor Leoni's artistic director, Erick Lichte, via email. "I thought to myself, 'Who is the most beloved Canadian poet?' and my answer was Leonard Cohen. So I bought all of Mr. Cohen's books of poetry and read all of it twice — it was a wonderful assignment!"

Lichte selected a dozen Cohen poems that he felt would benefit from a setting for his men's choir, keeping Ešenvalds' compositional voice in his mind's ear. From these, Ešenvalds chose three, one for each of the work's movements. Next, they had to obtain Cohen's permission.

"I know of only one other commission using Cohen's texts, a piece by Philip Glass, so I didn't know if we would be sucessful," reflected Lichte. "I wrote to his agent and, after a number of emails, he agreed to allow the text to be used. It has been a huge honour, not just because Cohen is so famous, but also because the texts we get to sing are so emotionally rich and honest. There is a spirituality to his texts that, I think, has found a wonderful new voice in the music of Ešenvalds and the singing of Chor Leoni."

'Complete package'

Lichte describes Ešenvalds as the "complete package" as a composer: "He can write in the most avant-garde methods, but at the core of his writing is a lyrical and melodic gift that few composers have. He also writes in a directly emotional way, which is never sentimental or cheap. There is always real compositional technique in his writing but also a unique depth of soul. I knew he would create a work which would challenge Chor Leoni, but also offer the choir a vehicle for the emotional expressivity we always strive to bring to our audiences."

After performing the music in concert, Lichte and Chor Leoni decided to record it. The sessions took place at Vancouver's Chan Centre in May 2015 and 2016.

"Recording is really, really hard work," he confided. "As I tell the choir, when you make a recording, you are turning the temporal art of music into a 'thing' that will then last forever. Performances that work well in concert do not often stand up to the scrutiny of the microphone and to repeated listening, so we have to work hard to make sure the technical aspects of our music-making get out of the way so that the emotional quality of the music shines through."
CBC Radio 2's Choral Concert played The Road is Too Long this morning. It's very beautiful. Hopefully this link works for everyone:
https://soundcloud.com/chor-leoni-mens- ... mple-clips
1972 London/1974 London/1985 Montreal/1993 Ottawa/2008 Montreal,London O2/2009 NYC Beacon,Kingston,Ottawa X 2,Barcelona,Las Vegas,San José/2010 Malmo,Las Vegas X 2/2012 Verona,Vancouver,Montreal X 2,Ottawa,Kingston/2013 NYC, Hamilton

Return to “News”