LEONARD COHEN NET WORTH

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
godnose

Re: LEONARD COHEN NET WORTH

Post by godnose »

This puts Leonard into the top 1% wealthiest people in the USA - a group which itself has vast inequality within it; there are of course billionaires in there at the very top. Leonard Cohen is probably one of the few that has bettered the human condition for the a huge number of people.

I still support a wealth tax on the super rich to discourage greed and allow money to be spread throughout society more equally and education and healthcare to be free, and something tells me Leonard would agree.
lightasabreeze

Post by lightasabreeze »

At least Leonard earned his money entertaining people and making them very happy. We WANTED him and still do.

Which is more than too many greedy millionaires, who were never elected, to sit in the House of Lords - sorry Frauds who do no good at all and rope in more money just for turning up - then falling asleep.
Somebody must have died for you
A Thousand Kisses Deep

London 02 x 3..... Radio city New York... Wet Weybridge..... Wembley Arena... Brighton..
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

Blimey, best put a little more water with it..Rather too serious,House of lords and Leonard Cohen, if there's a connection there, then you have broke the theory that you can't compare apples with oranges.

Leonard, if it's not too dear make the cushions water proof, thanks.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

I find it sort of interesting to look at Leonard's conditions. He lives in a duplex in LA in a not particularly good part of the the town. Yes, he has a home in Montreal and Hydra, but both are quite modest and lately he never goes to Hydra.

He did enjoy very good wine for a time, but apparently he found that to be problematic.

His wealth is only numbers on paper. I think he truly does have good judgment about the things that matter in life. I know he isn't perfect, saint, etc., but he's working a lot longer than most of us intend to to do.

I'm glad that the result of the theft from him created a situation that, in an O. Henry way, not only enriched him literally, but enriched us and himself in another sense of the word "enrich" in an endeavor that created lasting joy and a record of a wonderful thought process that will endure for many years.

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
AlexandraLaughing

Post by AlexandraLaughing »

These wealth reports are not all they seem. They are estimates from what is known of a person's earnings. No-one knows how much people give to charity or give away. JK Rowling, the Harry Potter author, is a good example of someone who is on paper one of the world's richest, but has actually given huge amounts away. That in itself becomes a full-time job- to evaluate worthy causes which won't just make things worse for people instead of better.

My guess is LC will leave most of it unspent and dispose of it in his will, because paying a lot of attention to it would rob him of too many precious writing and friendship hours.
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

I thought everyone who knows of JK Rowling would be well aware of what she does in the name of charity.
My guess is LC will leave most of it unspent and dispose of it in his will, because paying a lot of attention to it would rob him of too many precious writing and friendship hours.
As for LC, as you say, you are guessing. Precious writing and friendship hours, what in heavens name does that mean? You appear to think that all LC does is write and be friendly all day. He is human he is like any of us, maybe the one difference is that he writes songs but he has a life outside of his music and I very much doubt that writing songs has ever taken up that much of his time.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
Neil from The Young Ones
AlexandraLaughing

Post by AlexandraLaughing »

One thing I don't think LC does all day is sit on a mountain of gold rubbing his hands together.

Maybe he's changed since the days of supposedly letting Kelley Lynch dispose of his millions as she chose, but unless you have a lavish lifestyle, spending lots of money takes time, effort and thought.
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

Quite bizarre,no one has accused LC of counting his money all day, so goodness knows what that was about,nor of him not having the time to spend it, after all, he had it once and his earnings since have more than compensated for the loss, Lynch never took long to get rid of it, not hard to do if you have the want. Seems to me like LC does prefer to sit on his fortune and not spend it too "freely", so I doubt he will supply comfy cushions to the sea.

Where does the "supposedly"letting Lynch dispose of his millions come from? She was found guilty and it was never a case of anything "supposedly". He was awarded $9million by the court but to my knowledge she has never paid it to Cohen.
Neil from The Young Ones
regensburg

Post by regensburg »

I sure like what you said Joe about Leonard. Yes, he does live very humble - far away from the Hollywood crowd- also he drives a very old SUV, which he could drive a more modern Car, but that is our Leonard.
Thank God that we had a chance to see him for the last five years and he brought us so much happiness.
Thank you again for your kind words.
PS. Leonard deserves every penny he made, can you find another Entertainer on the road in his age, 3 hours on Stage and touring for 5 years? I don't.
casterbridgecohen

Post by casterbridgecohen »

Plenty of very wealthy people drive older cars and live in modest homes. Trust me I know.

It is usually those who want to impress that flash their cash - whether it is newly acquired or inherited.

Leonard is deserving of our adulation because of his music but living in a modest home is neither one thing or another.

I am a fan of Neil Young and his music but don't hold it against him for living on a ranch!

As mentioned earlier in the thread - Leonard is a regular guy with strengths and weaknesses just like most of us.

The rushing to defend him at any assumed criticism does get a bit tiresome - and is somewhat sad.

He is not a God who cannot be criticised (Remember a concert in Cambodia?) but he is one of the truly outstanding songwriters and performers of the last century.
1970 IOW 2008 Dublin - Manchester - Glastonbury - Berlin - Cardiff - Bournemouth 2009 Vancouver - Victoria - Koln - Nimes - Bratislava - Budapest - Barcelona - L Vegas - San Jose 2010 Salzburg - Basel - Strasbourg - Lille - Victoria - Vancouver - L Vegas(2) 2012 Montreal - Quebec - NYC 2013 London - Amsterdam

Return to “News”