Upcoming books in 2015

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
jarkko
Site Admin

Upcoming books in 2015

Post by jarkko »

More books about Leonard Cohen under way next year.
We have heard of these:

BOOK 1

De Demonen van Leonard Cohen (in Dutch) by Francis Mus
Ca. 256 pages, hard cover, full color illustrations
February 2015; the cover art may still change
The Demons of Leonard Cohen - précis
‘Leonard Cohen, who are you?’ – that is the opening question of The Demons of Leonard Cohen, an essay on the work of Canada’s most famous songwriter, musician, poet, novelist and visual artist.

Every artistic expression is connected to the life of its maker, be it really experienced or dreamed. Based on this insight, seven themes are lifted from Cohen’s work: public persona, artistic practice, alienation, desire and loss, religion, power, and encounter. These seven approaches offer an answer to the question who Leonard Cohen is and how he puts himself on the line in his work: the battle with the merciless gaze of the other, the artist in search of himself, his fundamental loneliness, the priest and believer within Cohen, impotence and the drive for power, etc.

Time and again, Cohen tries to mend or come to terms with the brokenness he finds within himself and in the world around him. This is a tall order, and in doing so he involves everyone: himself, his audience, his loved ones, God. In these interactions something of who he is becomes visible. Cohen does not so much advance in his lifelong quest as dig deeper into his obsessions.

The Demons of Leonard Cohen is neither yet another biography nor a sterile analysis but a thorough interpretation based on the artist’s musical, literary and graphic work, complemented by unpublished documents as well as interviews with musicians, collaborators and other privileged witnesses.

Francis Mus (1983) works as a research assistant at the Department of Literature of the University of Leuven, Belgium.
BOOK 2
Leonard Cohen: Still the Man by Hugh Fielder (May 2015)
Hardcover: 128 pages
Publisher: Flame Tree Publishing; New edition e (15 May 2015)
ISBN-13: 978-1783613779
Product Dimensions: 20.3 x 1.6 x 23.1 cm
Pre-order at Amazon UK £9,99.
One of the most fascinating and respected singer/songwriters of all time, Leonard Cohen has built an audience across fifty years of music-making. Second only to Bob Dylan (and perhaps Paul Simon), he commands the attention of critics and younger musicians more firmly than any other musical figure from the '60s still working in the 21st century. This new book guides the reader from his first taste of success in his early thirties, to a position where classic tracks such as Hallelujah are covered by the top stars of every successive generation

Thanks to Dominique Boile (book 2) and Francis Mus (book 1) for the information.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Cheshire gal

Re: Upcoming books in 2015

Post by Cheshire gal »

I wonder if anyone has had so many books written about them in such a short period of time? I need a bigger bookshelf myself. :D :D
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
regensburg

Post by regensburg »

Me too. I have every book, every Album he made.
Donata

Post by Donata »

Me too! :D

Return to “News”