Leonard Cohen To Attend PEN NE Award, Ceremony To Be Webcast

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Conny

Re: Leonard Cohen To Attend PEN NE Award, Ceremony To Be Web

Post by Conny »

IrishAL wrote:This is a link to a video of Leonard Receiving the award.Albert
Instead of working, I followed you link... ;-)
Thanks a lot, Albert, your videos are most appreciated :!: :!: :!:

Conny
1976&79: Frankfurt| 2008: Lörrach/Berlin/Frankf./Hamburg/Oberhausen| 2009: Cologne/Berlin/Colmar/Barcelona/Vegas/S.José| 2010: Salzburg/Berlin/Wiesbaden/Strasbourg/Marseille/Hannover/Dortmund/Stuttgart/Warsaw/Vegas
2012: Gent/Amsterdam/Berlin/London/Dublin/Verona/Toulon/Paris/Barcelona/Madrid
2013: Paris/Antwerp/Mannheim/Brussels/Rome/Lucca/Berlin/Lodz/Prague/Vienna/Pula/Odense/Manchester/Leeds/London/Rotterdam/Amsterdam
majmunka

Post by majmunka »

Watching the award ceremony in my hotel room in Italy (my small netbook + hotel wifi :D) apparently triggered the most wonderful dream in ages for me :) Didn't want to wake up. Ever. *dreamysighs* <3
Eva
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Hi,
Here's the full video screen capture of the ceremony:
http://youtu.be/Z6ONdgB-EpE

Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
BEATRIZ SALLES

Post by BEATRIZ SALLES »

Tank you Maarten.
It's such a plesure listening to him again!
2008 Paris. 2009 Barcelona. 2010 Marseille. 2012 Ghent. Verona. Barcelona. Lisbon. 2013 Antwerpen, Berlin, Pula.
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Thank you Maarten. Great job!

Watching the entire webcam a second time, I realize why I really didn't like it the first time live.
It wasn't Keith's day, Elvis' day, Dylan's day...
It was a day to honor and spotlight the two award winners.
After LC received his award and made his wonderful speech, I felt he was ignored the rest of the time.

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
merton

Post by merton »

HI,

Thanks for the link. I like Leonard's salute to Chuck Berry. More than a hint of humility and humour. Speaking of humour the following comments from Bob Dylan on the ceremony are clever and funny:

http://www.examiner.com/bob-dylan-in-na ... is-regards

Roll on Kilmainham!!!

All the best,
Merton
holydove

Post by holydove »

Thank you to Al & Goldin for posting the videos, & to Roy for posting the photos. It was really a joy to be able to see Leonard's beautiful smiles, & to hear his beautiful, gracious, brilliant speech!
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... s-20120227
Chuck Berry, Leonard Cohen Get First PEN Songwriting Awards
Keith Richards, Elvis Costello, Paul Simon pay tribute at JFK Library

By James Sullivan
February 27, 2012 1:00 PM ET

Midway through Paul Simon's praise of Chuck Berry, who was honored alongside Leonard Cohen as the first two recipients of PEN New England's Song Lyrics of Literary Excellence Award Sunday at the John F. Kennedy Library in Boston, Berry beckoned Simon to lean over so he could whisper in his ear.

The presenter returned to the microphone laughing. Berry, he said, told him he had a bad ear and couldn't hear a word he was saying.

Yet fans of Berry and Cohen, unquestionably two of the most original writers the rock & roll era has produced, have been listening very closely from the beginning. Addressing a tony crowd of writers and rock fans, Salman Rushdie presented Cohen's award, and Elvis Costello and surprise guest Keith Richards (introduced as "the best-selling author in this room") performed in tribute to Berry.

Given the intent of the Song Lyrics award, the event was peppered with references to great writers. In an email read by organizer Bill Flanagan, Bob Dylan called Berry "the Shakespeare of rock & roll" and Cohen "the Kafka of the blues." Cohen, accepting his award, compared Berry's "Roll Over Beethoven" to Walt Whitman's joyful noise – his "barbaric yawp."

"If Beethoven hadn't rolled over," he said, "there'd be no room for any of us."

After quoting key lines from Cohen's "Bird on the Wire" – "Like a bird on the wire/ Like a drunk in a midnight choir/ I have tried, in my way, to be free" – the author Rushdie, a former president of PEN American Center, said, "Put simply, if I could write like that, I would."

Last year the New England chapter of the world's oldest literary and human rights organization convened a panel to select the first recipients of the new songwriters' award. The panel included Costello, Simon, Rushdie, Bono, Rosanne Cash, Smokey Robinson and poet Paul Muldoon. After opening remarks from Caroline Kennedy, who spoke of her father's conviction that "the artist has a special responsibility in our democracy," PEN New England Chairman Richard Hoffman explained the symbolism of the oversize image of a lyre projected above the stage. It was a reminder, he said, that through most of history, "literature was sung."

After Shawn Colvin sang Cohen's "Come Healing" from his new album Old Ideas, Costello took the stage to pay tribute to Berry. "This is one of the more intimidating things you'll do," he joked – "play a Chuck Berry song in front of Chuck Berry, without a band." But his characteristically tweaked version of "No Particular Place to Go" drew smiles and finger-points from the master, who, at 85, looked the same as ever in his sailor's cap and string tie.

Rather than take the microphone to make an acceptance speech, Berry surprised the event organizers by indicating he'd just as soon take Costello's hollow-body guitar off his hands. After fumbling with some feedback, he played a muted version of "Johnny B. Goode."

"That's the way rock & roll is," he said when he finished. "It's funky. Is that too bad a word to say?"

For the event's final surprise, Richards, who famously squabbled with his guitar hero during the filming of Hail! Hail! Rock 'n' Roll, stepped out of the front row and onto the stage, where he took Costello's guitar and joined him – Costello grabbing an acoustic – on an unrehearsed romp through Berry's cross-country yarn "Promised Land."

"We have a Mount Rushmore thing going on here," as Flanagan noted earlier in the program. The guests of honor were, of course, united in rock.
Roy

Post by Roy »

Behind The Scenes at the PEN New England Awards
Chuck Berry and Leonard Cohen were honored with the PEN New England Awards for Song Lyrics of Literary Excellence at the John F. Kennedy Library in Boston on February 26th, 2012. Here, Keith Richards hangs backstage with Chuck Berry and Leonard Cohen to show his support.

http://www.rollingstone.com/random-note ... ds-0606753

ImageImage
LEONARD COHEN | HALLS OF FAME
The Official Halls of Fame Biographies of Leonard Cohen
http://www.leonardcohenhallsoffame.blogspot.com
Roy

Post by Roy »

Any scans yet of all the pages of the program that was distributed at the ceremony, if any?
Roy

Post by Roy »

sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Roy wrote: ...
The ceremony was at The John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Hmmm... I wonder if this means Leonard will be getting the Kennedy Center Honors in Washington DC this December. :D

Thanks for all the great pictures and links and info Roy!
Sorry - don't know anything about that program. :lol:
But - would like to see it.

Well - Caroline Kennedy was there yesterday. And Caroline hosts the Kennedy Center Honors - and I would bet she could easily play a role or have influence in the selection process - who is to be honored each year.

And a good thing - Chuck Berry has already been an Honoree. Would be wonderful to see Leonard Cohen sitting up there in that box next year!! 8)
Roy

Post by Roy »

Sorry, the ceremony was in Boston, Massachusetts! :oops: :oops: :oops:
Roy

Post by Roy »

sturgess66 wrote:Would be wonderful to see Leonard Cohen sitting up there in that box next year!! 8)
Not next year... This December.
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

@Roy. I posted a photo above that looks like the program cover. Maybe this can help as a start.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=31517&start=15#p298176

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com

Return to “News”