Leonard Cohen Awarded the Ninth Glenn Gould Prize

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
ladydi

Re: Leonard Cohen Awarded the Ninth Glenn Gould Prize

Post by ladydi »

Congratulations Leonard! And congratulations to the jury for its inspired decision!

"His poetry and music transcend national boundaries and cultures by touching our common humanity. His unique voice is nonetheless the common voice of people around the globe telling our stories, expressing our emotions, reaching deeply into our psyches."

We, his fans, have recognized this for years, as have generations of musicians who have been influenced by his words and music! So well-deserved!!

Thanks Marie for bringing this article, and yet another honour for Leonard, to our attention!
Anne

Post by Anne »

I just read about him winning this in the Globe and Mail, so I came here to make sure that you all knew!

I think it is another wonderful recognition to achieve. I also feel that an award named after Gould can only be a fantastic thing. He was an amazing artist.

Congratulations, Leonard!!!
honey604

Post by honey604 »

This is fabulous news. Leonard is most deserving of this honor and apparently the international panel making the choice thought so too. Unanimous! I know his devoted fans (I certainly am one) are thrilled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgJg-8C1 ... r_embedded
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Glory Be! (I am avoiding the "H" exclamatory word).

This is the second time in a few short months that LC's second hometown has recognized him in their prestigious LA Times newspaper.

I almost choked on my bagel when I turned the page in the Calendar section and saw this.
They actually assigned someone to write a blurb for our "eclectic" man. Other items had a direct atribution to a news service. :D

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

Glory Be! (I am avoiding the "H" exclamatory word).
Bless you!
This is the second time in a few short months that LC's second hometown has recognized him in their prestigious LA Times newspaper.

I almost choked on my bagel when I turned the page in the Calendar section and saw this.
They actually assigned someone to write a blurb for our "eclectic" man. Other items had a direct atribution to a news service.
Next step, paparazzi hiding in the bushes in front of Leonard's house in LA and popping out whenever the front door opens. On the upside, neighborhood dogs will have nice tasty chew toys.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
KatzieMtl

Post by KatzieMtl »

bridger15 wrote:Glory Be! (I am avoiding the "H" exclamatory word).

They actually assigned someone to write a blurb for our "eclectic" man. Other items had a direct atribution to a news service. :D

---Arlene
Well.. this is what Mr. Cohen's hometown paper had to say:

RSS Cohen awarded Gould prize for lifetime work
Postmedia News April 2, 2011 Singer, songwriter, poet and novelist Leonard Cohen has been awarded the ninth Glenn Gould Prize.

The international award is handed out every other year to a living artist who has made a unique lifetime contribution that has "enriched the human condition through the arts and manifests the values of innovation, inspiration and transformation,"reads a press release. "A tribute to (the late pianist) Glenn Gould's artistry and his multi-faceted contributions to culture, the prize promotes the vital connection between artistic excellence and the transformation of lives."

Cohen was chosen from international candidates and will receive a cash prize of $50,000. A young artist of his choosing will receive The city of Toronto's Glenn Gould Protegé Prize.

© Copyright (c) The Montreal Gazette

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/entertai ... z1IOznYnm8

Of course, we have an election coming..
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

@ MarieM... you are so funny, actually wicked.

@ KatzieMtl... about your Montreal gazette, all I can say is, for shame.
Oh, and remember, this award is Toronto based. We all know about the long standing Montreal-Toronto rivalry. :D
Even Adam Cohen entered the fray on that one recently.

---Arlene

Mollydog

Post by Mollydog »

Congratulations to Leonard. It is indeed an honour for him to receive this prize. Here's what our nation's capital is saying (there's a lovely picture in this report).

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/entertainm ... story.html
1972 London/1974 London/1985 Montreal/1993 Ottawa/2008 Montreal,London O2/2009 NYC Beacon,Kingston,Ottawa X 2,Barcelona,Las Vegas,San José/2010 Malmo,Las Vegas X 2/2012 Verona,Vancouver,Montreal X 2,Ottawa,Kingston/2013 NYC, Hamilton
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

A friend in Toronto alerted me about the anouncement in the National Post.
This article has some depth and a nice photo too.
http://arts.nationalpost.com/2011/04/01 ... uld-prize/
Leonard Cohen wins Glenn Gould Prize

Melissa Leong Apr 1, 2011

A prestigious jury of artists, including Canadian filmmaker Atom Egoyan and British actor Stephen Fry, met at Massey College Thursday to decide who out of more than 60 international candidates should receive the so-called “Nobel Prize of the arts.”

The jury unanimously chose Canadian poet, novelist and singer-songwriter Leonard Cohen to be the ninth Glenn Gould Prize laureate.

“It is a great honour, sweetened by my love of the work of Glenn Gould, and our collective appreciation of his invigorating and enduring presence in the world of music and imagination,” Cohen, 76, said in a written statement.

The award is handed out every other year to a living artist who has made a unique lifetime contribution that has “enriched the human condition through the arts and manifests the values of innovation, inspiration and transformation,” a press release says.
The Montreal-born Cohen did not attend the Friday announcement but all of the jury members were present at the Royal Conservatory of Music, including Chinese singer and UN Goodwill Ambassador Dadawa and recording industry executive Costa Pilavachi.

“I’m quite bewildered. I thought we had agreed that Justin Bieber was getting it,” Fry quipped. “Seriously, I was 10 years old when Songs of Leonard Cohen came out … We all agreed that one of the most remarkable things about his extraordinary art is how it has become richer and deeper and more extraordinary every decade.”

Cohen is one of the most covered artists alive; Hallelujah has been covered by more than 150 artists including Willie Nelson and Bono. Cohen was inducted to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2008, the year that brought him back to the stage for the first time in 15 years. Before he began recording music in the late 1960s, he was recognized for his collections of poetry and his novels.

“We all felt very passionate about it,” Egoyan said of the jury’s decision. “He’s had a huge influence on my work.”
Egoyan used one of Cohen’s best-known songs, Everybody Knows, as the centerpiece of his 1994 film, Exotica. “When I was making that film, we didn’t have the budget. I remember contacting Universal and realizing that we couldn’t afford it. Thanks to the personal intervention of Mr. Cohen, we were able to use that song. It was really generous of him.”

Gary Graffman, celebrated pianist and author, told the 200 people assembled at the press conference that he is the only jury member who knew Gould. They spent some time together in Berlin in the 1950s. “I know he would’ve been delighted by this choice,” the 82-year-old said. “[Cohen] was uncompromising as Glenn Gould was.”

Cohen will receive $50,000 and will designate a young artist to receive the City of Toronto Glenn Gould Protege Prize of $15,000. Past laureates include cellist Yo-Yo Ma, jazz musician Oscar Peterson and Dr. Jose Antonio Abreu, founder of El Sistema, Venezuela’s free music education program for at-risk youth. A pilot project based on El Sistema is launching in Toronto this fall.

mutti

Post by mutti »

Great news. This is just perfect and such an incredible honour.
Loved reading all the newspaper articles.
It is truly fantastic and well deserved.
Congratulations Leonard!
Leslie 8)
Last edited by mutti on Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
Cate

Post by Cate »

Congratulations to Mr. Cohen!!!

I heard it announced yesterday on CBC, I can't think of a better choice.
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

I wonder what took them so long to recognize Leonard's many talents. He should have gotten this prize years ago.
Congratulations to Leonard. He well deserves it.
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Gary Graffman, celebrated pianist and author, told the 200 people assembled at the press conference that he is the only jury member who knew Gould. They spent some time together in Berlin in the 1950s. “I know he would’ve been delighted by this choice,” the 82-year-old said. “[Cohen] was uncompromising as Glenn Gould was.”
This comment has to be especially satisfying and rewarding for Leonard.
All those years, all those nights.
He held to who he is and is now getting affirmation after validation after affirmation after validation.
Good on you, Leonard.
Again... I am so happy that you are getting to see all of this for yourself.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Pope

Post by Pope »

I tuned to Radio Three BBC UK early Friday evening; an arts programme was on. They played and we listened to the whole of the Lark Ascending by Vaughn Williams. Afterwards the presenter told us that Mr Cohen had won the Glenn Gould Prize, following it with Suzanne. I listened, yes a song I'd heard a million times, but how lovely it is to hear it out of your radio, a surprise.
And then, guess what, they faded it after verse two.
Why?
Williams lengthy piece had been played to its full. I love Williams his cds sit alongside Mr Cohen's. But both are musicians and one is a poet as well, respected in the arts. Not pop. I don't understand.

Glyn.
http://glynpope.blogspot.com/ (new blog today)
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

That does seem unbalanced, Glyn, considering everything. It seems Williams used it as a segue rather than as part of the feature itself. Geez... he could have played Suzanne in its whole and then segued with another of Leonard's countless, excellent works. It still is a thrill for me, too, when one of Leonard's songs comes from my radio, even though the only station I listen to is the most likely to play them.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “News”