Time to Say Thank You

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
IrishAL

Re: Time to Say Thank You

Postby IrishAL » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:45 pm

Marie,
well done with the group card idea. They look very good indeed. The mix of handwriting styles, typefaces and photos really does convey as sense that the card was passed around the "office" for all to sign personally. I am sure they will be very well received.
A.
2008: Dublin x2 London Helsinki London RAH M'chester
2009:
New York Weybridge Dublin x2 Belfast Lisbon Bratislava, B'celona Chicago L' Vegas, San Jose
2010: Zagreb Sligo x2 Berlin Gent x2 Florence Marseille Katowice Bratislava L' Vegasx2
2012 Gent x2 Amsterdam X2 Dublin x4 Verona Paris x2,Boston
2013NewYork,Brussels,Prague,Vienna,Zurich,Manchester,Birmingham,Dublinx2,London,Rotterdam,Amsterdam
MaryB

Postby MaryB » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:10 pm

Hi Bartelby,

I had already signed the card - was just wanting to see the final product, so your link is greatly appreciated. Thank You!

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Jari

Postby Jari » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:29 pm

Yep, this is a great idea. Thanks! :D
jeremek

Postby jeremek » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:28 am

Hi !

In what version will the card for Leonard ?
Poster card ? Wall poster ? or Flip book ?

best, Beata
1985/2008/2010/2013/Always
st theresa

Postby st theresa » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:17 am

Thanks from me too Marie--interestingly my initial motivation in joining this forum (some years ago now) was to find a way to thank Leonard (even before we thought there would be a tour) for all he had given me through his work. I was delighted to find that I was not alone in these sentiments and this card actually provided a real opportunity to bring some closure to my dream of thanking Leonard. Namaste!
kwills

Postby kwills » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:06 am

Hear,hear st Theresa
Manchester 19th June/Cardiff 8th Nov
MarieM

Postby MarieM » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:51 am

Dear Friends,

I wanted to report the status of the cards and answer a couple of questions that have been posed to me.

First, the printing of the cards for the band members went off without a hitch. Printing Leonard's card was another matter. Groupcards.com advertises that they handle cards with thousands of pages. Leonard's card was about 250 pages. The program crashed on me at least three times while I was moving posts. I know I lost one post and on two other posts the text was preserved but the attached photos were lost. I am sorry about that. I didn't catch the name of the person whose post disappeared before it was gone.

When it came time to print Leonard's card, it was a nightmare. The program would not respond properly and after about four days and at least 25 attempts at trying to produce the pdf file for printing, we had only successfully printed about the last 30 pages of the card and the first 220 pages were lost to us. Repeated attempts to contact customer service were met only with instructions to try Firefox instead, which we did, to no avail. We also went to various other locations and other people to attempt to find a better internet connection and nothing worked. As a last resort, I was going to let groupcards print up the card in hopes that once they weren't able to do it, they would take our requests for help seriously. So I put up the additional monies and suddenly we got their attention. Shame on them for holding our card hostage for more money.

Now that's the bad news, the wonderful news is this -- Thanks to Grace (Misty Marie), we have beautifully printed cards for the band members and Leonard. Though we were four days past the deadline when Grace thought she could get it done, once we had the pdf file she put her entire life on hold and worked tirelessly to get Leonard's card printed. All thanks for the success of this project goes to her. She did an amazing job and her designs and ideas have made these thank you cards works of art.

All the cards are printed on buff-colored parchment paper. The pages were bound into a book format using black ribbon. The cards/booklets are 8 x 8 with wide margins so they have the look and feel of a high quality handmade book from another century.

Grace designed amazing covers for the cards. For the band she searched through hundreds of photos to find just the right one of each person. She printed the photo on heavier stock buff-colored paper. Then over the top of that she placed a sheet of clear vellum with a design of musical notes that appear to be moving in a circle. When the vellum is over the cover, the band member's photo shows through the circle of notes. These covers are just gorgeous.

For Leonard's card, Grace printed a beatiful photo of him on the buff-colored heavier stock paper. She placed a vellum sheet over that with an exquisite line design in gold, grays and black thereby framing Leonard's face when the vellum is over the photo. It is just stunning. And thanks to all of you, Leonard's card is nearly an inch thick!

Now if this were not enough, Grace designed special gifts boxes to put our thank you cards in for presentation. They are black boxes with a lovely black bow and white ribbon and a little notecard. Grace took some great pictures to give you a better idea of how the cards look and also to see the sentiments and special touches that she added. All Hail Grace!

As for the presentation, details are still to be worked out. However, I did speak with Robert Kory a couple of weekends ago and he indicated that Vegas is going to be especially hectic for everyone. There will be lots of family members there and security is going to be extra tight. So, we will hold our breath and hope for the best. At the very least, I know we can get this card into Robert Kory's hands and Robert will see to it that Leonard gets it after he is back in LA with more time to read each and every entry.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart to Grace who is amazingly talented, patient, diligent, calm and giving. Thank you to dear Leslie (mutti), who corrected everyone's typos. Thank you to all those who offered a kind word of support about this idea, most especially Avi and Sam. And a big thank you to all those who signed the card and told Leonard how much you love him and his work. You are the thank you gift to Leonard.

BAND CARD
photo underneath vellum:
inside cover pages of band card:
the messages:
back cover:

LEONARD'S CARD
photo underneath vellum:
inside cover pages:
the messages:
inside back cover:
back cover without vellum:
back cover with vellum cover:
card in presentation box:
Marie
Speaking Cohen

http://www.speakingcohen.com
mutti

Postby mutti » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:02 am

Wow! I don't know what to say....those are absolutely beautiful.
I had no idea what the cards would look like and am just in awe of your talents Grace and Marie.
The vision that you had really manifested into something really really beautiful.
The drawings, the paper, I love the photo of Leonard, the quotes, the binding, the box...
what can I say...
I am proud to be part of this gift and it truly is special.
Our thank you's are the gift....I totally 100% agree...
Thank you!
Leslie/Mutti ;-)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
MaryB

Postby MaryB » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:05 am

Oh my gosh Marie -

These are stunningly beautiful. I am sorry you had to go through so much tribulation to get this completed, but they are so worth it. A BIG thank you to you, Grace, and Leslie for giving us the opportunity to sign them and then putting this together!!!

Warmest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
B4real

Postby B4real » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:00 pm

Hi Marie,

Many thanks to yourself and Grace for all your efforts and for your explanation about what a task it was to produce. I'm so glad you could do this against the odds.

I have just noticed that most of my message is shown here and the typewriter font I originally used has been changed to the generic one. I'm assuming that was a casuality of the difficulty of production. Also MY DRAWING of Leonard that I gave him for his birthday this year appears on the back cover of the card. I am very flattered but I had no idea that it was being used. What a surprise! Thanks for acknowledging my small part in this venture!

Bev
Be for real. Free yourself to find the real Self ~~ Me
Happiness is like learning the violin, the more you practice it the more it comes to you ~~ Me
Without the heart, there can be no understanding between the hand and the mind ~~ Gore Vidal
remote1

Postby remote1 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:32 pm

What a lovely surprise for you Bev! :D :D :D
"We are so lightly here"
friscogrl

Postby friscogrl » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:28 pm

These cards are outstanding! Everyone who worked on them deserves a big thanks. I am very impressed, especially with Leonard's. I think he will be very touched!

Thank you Maire for coming up with this wonderful way to thank Leonard and the band.

Marsha
Last edited by friscogrl on Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
Mabeanie1

Postby Mabeanie1 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:13 pm

For various reasons - largely related to my travels & lack of computer access - this whole process largely passed me by but I am totally blown away by the result. Congratulations to all involved. I only wish I could have taken a more active part in it all.

Wendy
TineDoes

Postby TineDoes » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:40 pm

Marie and Grace,
Absolutely wonderful :D :D :D !!!
Sorry to hear that you had so much trouble with the finishing of the project. But this is done to perfection.
Thank you so very very much. Bev. a wonderful drawing!
Tineke
"There’s no forsaking what you love ...."

Rotterdam 2008; Antwerpen, Dublin 2009; Gent 2x, Lille , Las Vegas 2x 2010, Gent, Amsterdam, Dublin 2x 2012, Antwerp, Berlin, Rotterdam 2013
jeanne

Postby jeanne » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:56 pm

Marie and Grace and all involved:

Thank you...

I have no words,,,only the tears that overflowed...

Jeanne
"there is a crack in everything.that's how the light gets in " Florence 2010 - las vegas 2010....hope for Hydra......Hydra no longer a hope......now a reality..
"when the gods want to punish you, they answer your prayers"

Return to “News”