The Tough Guy in His Star Trek Uniform...

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
jarkko
Site Admin

The Tough Guy in His Star Trek Uniform...

Post by jarkko »

...is leaving everything behind.
Check Leonard's Father's Day drawing at The LC Files
(use Recent Updates link on the front page at
http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com

Jarkko
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

O.k. Now I'm getting seriously worried about Leonard.
Paula

Post by Paula »

I hope the bit about not coming back is false.

Otherwise on the basis of his self protrait he doesn't get the job at the police station as a complier of photofits.

He still is a better drawer than me.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

:lol: Paula re: the job at the police department. I've looked at it, I've read and re-read it. I haven't concluded anything yet. His drawings are intentionally distorted when it comes to himself. Any doubts as to his true drawing abilities can be easily resolved through looking at his computer drawings [very precise] and his drawing [who knows now where I saw it] of the nude woman from the back, appearing that she had stood up out of bed, with Leonard leaning up on his forearm and looking at her, eye level. The message attached to the self-portrait here, drawn in February, I haven't figured out either one just yet. It's the first one that seems to look angry somehow [self-directed, feeling frustration with his writing process at the moment?]......I just don't know yet, but will keep looking at both, trying to get a "hit" on it.

Happy Father's Day, at any rate, Leonard.

~ Elizabeth
Coco

Post by Coco »

Hi Lizzy,

I think he looks disgruntled. Like maybe the waiter at the hotel wasn't fast enough with his drink. :?
Coco

Post by Coco »

But a disgruntled Leonard is better to be around than most "happy" people. Yes? :)
George Gordon

Post by George Gordon »

Nice recovery Coco. LOL
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Right, Coco :) ~ I saw perhaps angry or frustrated, but disgruntled I think may be the better word. As for the waiter :wink: , I'm not so sure he would take note of such things as lateness, as he'd be too busy filling his notebook or placemat with words, lines, and phrases, and would just consider the waiter's delay as part of his meal. It somehow seems to relate to discontent with his poetry and writing [to me], but I could sure be convinced otherwise :wink: . LOL ~ you got that right regarding a disgruntled Leonard topping out over many of the "happy" folk :D .
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Coco ~

Just so you know ~ I knew you were teasing re: the waiter. However, there's got to be something behind this wry drawing and wry remarks. What do you think?

~ Lizzytysh
Coco

Post by Coco »

Hi Lizzy,

Looking back, I am appalled by what I wrote. About Leonard, the waiter and the late drink. It was my first impression of the self-portrait. I agree that Leonard would not be disgruntled over that. And we have all read many instances of his good, kind, and courteous behavior to everyone, no matter their station in life. Perhaps it was transference on my part. Because sometimes I am disgruntled. :oops:

But it is an interesting series of self-portraits. Did you notice that the second one submitted to us (or I should say, submitted to Jarkko) is the only one with color in it. Yellow. ALthough I believe "No Middleman" had color as well. But it was computer art was it not?

Of the three remaining self-portraits this third one is the most intricately drawn. The first one is a very simple line drawing, almost childlike in its appeal. In "Father Theresa" a very clean yet more complicated form has evolved. The third "Tough Guy" self-portrait seems just that. More foreboding. More disquieting. More of "You don't really know me!" Somehow dangerous!
Partisan

Post by Partisan »

I suspect you people are not seeing the forest for the trees. The master just told you something very important.

p.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Quit just alluding to your own brilliance, Partisan, and share it! We've already figured out that it's important.
Einat

Post by Einat »

Last edited by Einat on Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Those are the thoughts I'm in denial about, Einat.....wondering the impact India is having on him, and whether his anticipated upcoming book of poetry and new album, are to be his last [he's preparing us now?] or are to not appear at all? I much prefer to believe this relates to current angst re: his current efforts with regard to the poetry. We already know how he struggles with his words.
Partisan

Post by Partisan »

It would not be polite to say it. The best i can do is to say i think Einat is half right as it were. But i may be wrong.

p.

Return to “News”