Inner Peace & Harmony...

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Eve

Post by Eve »

no longer available
Last edited by Eve on Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

I always have trouble understanding what people mean when they say that Leonard is handsome. Esthetically speaking, he isn't. I mean, if a woman's features are not arranged in a specific way nobody goes around saying she is pretty or beautiful.

That said, I love the way Leonard looks! :D
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Moonlight ~

Boy, I sure do....both male and female. It's the off-center, the character beauty, that appeals to me most. There are many assymetrical things that I prefer. The aesthetics of anything remain largely a matter of one's personal taste. There are many examples, beginning with Meryl Streep in the female ranks; Leonard Coehn in the male. Those are the intrigueing faces, where you can look at, even "study" them and wonder exactly what it is that makes their face so appealing. I've also seen technically, and by-"all"-accounts, "homely"/"unattractive" people, whose faces ~ upon smiling and/or laughing ~ light up with such sparkling, radiance, and delightful character, that they are instantly transformed into beings of phenomenal beauty, so much rushes out from within. I love it when that happens.

With others, their way of contemplation and seriousness shows in their face and reveals the beauty beneath, imbuing the outwardly with exactly the same.

I'm glad to hear that Leonard's face still passes muster with you :wink: . I find him very handsome. Much comes from his eyes and soul.

~ Elizabeth
margaret

Post by margaret »

What attracts me more is intelligence, humour, a gift for words and language. Accents and voices play a part too. On looks alone Leonard has always been a bit too thin for my taste, but I think he looks better as he's gotten older. Sounds better too.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Yes, I agree with you on that, Margaret ~ for me, too. I was just responding to the strictly "physical features" aspect ~ and that even those can be "transformed" by what comes from inside.
tom.d.stiller

Post by tom.d.stiller »

Elizabeth, Margaret -

Maybe Leonard was thinking of you when he wrote:
You kept right on loving, I went on a fast,
Now I am too thin and your love is too vast.
But you're not so vain to think this song is about you... :D

Tom
Paula

Post by Paula »

I have always thought he was nice looking but I think faces and personalities blur and the person just becomes good looking from the inside. People I have known a long time I would not be able to tell you who wears glasses or who has a beard you just see the personality.
linmag

Post by linmag »

I have always found Leonard's person quite attractive, but his songs are positively hunky :wink:
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Well, I guess I really shoulda clarified and been more specific, as well.

With the physical appearance aspect, I really was approaching it more from the perspective of people unknown to me personally.....just their looks. I prefer character beauty over conventional beauty. Seeing someone who wouldn't be considered in the "beauty" category, anyway, being transformed by the things I've mentioned is a very delightful experience. It's like noticing roses and the wildflowers that show up in places unexpected.

As for thin, I love thin. For me, it's rather a matter of my first love and the "standard" set at that time via the relationship. As with other characteristics, wonderful memories are triggered by similarities and their associations. It's just a positive orientation for me.

In terms of people I actually come to know, everything merges and those outward, superficial delineations disappear.

~ Elizabeth
altinkum

Post by altinkum »

I was reading an article some time back on Cleopatra and an expert on the subject revealed that Cleopatra supposedly renown for her beauty was actually very ordinary it was her presence and personality that was captivating. I think this shows that it is not always the physical side that is uppermost but the essence of a person, I can think of a number of people who would not be considered beautiful/handsome who have this quality eg Jack Nicholson, Barbara streisand, Meryl Streep to name but a few.Many years ago when I first discovered Cohen I was so struck with his music I showed his album (songs of ) to someone I knew saying "of course this album is a good few years old now" she replied "well he does'nt look like that now then" I was dumb struck I could not have cared if he looked like Quasimodo it was is words and music that drew me in. I have never understood these people who judge on looks alone. Incidentely Al Pacino, Dustin Hoffman Yes I can see the similarity, actually Hoffman is one of my favourite actors, I'm beginning to wonder why now :) Sorry for going on for so long. Hey Lizzy people will think you have a rival :wink:
Altinkum

Return to “News”