CONCERT REPORT: Athens (July 30)

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Sophia

CONCERT REPORT: Athens (July 30)

Post by Sophia »

Ok, just a few hours left! :D
I'm so happy to meet some forum friends again in a few hours and have some days together on Hydra after concert! :D
It's finally true, Leonard in Athens - I can't wait!
lc.jpg
lc.jpg (44.47 KiB) Viewed 20329 times
Sophia
serpico11

Re: Athens (July 30)

Post by serpico11 »

An Amazing Concert
Everything was great. Leonard was absolutely fantastic!He gave an amazing performance.

And yes...He ended the concert by singing Famous Blue Raincoat!
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Well, Leonard's done it again: excelled in yet another awesome concert here in Athens! :D A small group of us Forum friends hung out together and mingled with local Cohenites as well. Sophia or Laura will probably post the setlist here soon, but Famous Blue Raincaoat was a fabulous inclusion towards the end of the show. What really touched me and my wonderful Greek friends was Leonard's addressing the crowd in reportedly faultless Greek at the beginning and his later reference to this concert feeling like "coming home" for him! :D I'm sure Sophia will have something more to say about this.

The other thing I have to say is that, after the disappointment of no Lycabettus Theatre gig, Terra Vibe was far nicer and more enjoyable than I ever imagined it would be! :D It is set in a scenic hilly and wooded area with other pleasant aspects associated with such a countryside setting. The temperature on the night was just perfect and there was not even a hint of rain to dampen proceedings. 8)

All we Cohenites here have to hope for now, is that Leonard decides to revisit Hydra in the next day ot two (to renew "less neurotic affiliations") and we just happen to bump into him on the island! ;-)

Cheers :)
Andrew (Darby)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
loukia

Post by loukia »

I am still "high" from last night. The performance brought tears to my eyes on at least 3 occasions. It was utterly amazing and I can finally say a dream has come true. I too was touched when he opened by addressing the crowd in Greek. As for the location, it is a lovely backdrop and the weather was perfect, but I still think that Lycavittos would have been more "suitable" for this event. Does anyone know if there will be a write-up in English of the Athens show? Maybe the Athens News tomorrow? I hope so, as I would really like to have such a feature and would also love to send it to my non-Greek speaking friends back home. I did read (slowly :) the article in K magazine a couple of weeks ago, which was very well done. One more note: I loved the design on the tickets and was really hoping that they would have world tour tees with that design--not sure why they didn't.
traveller

Post by traveller »

It was really fantastic last night in Athens. L.C. was wonderful and he offered us a night of passion, politeness and magic. All the musicians of the band were also very good. I think L.C. also enjoyed the concert, the reactions of the audience (who didn't stop to applaud and sing the songs) and he really meant these words he said to the audience : "I 'll never forget you". Most of us were lucky because we had the chance to stand very close to the stage and watch clearly all this magic. I think that L.C. added "the famous blue raincoat" at the end of the concert, because he knew how much his greek funs love this song.
glaux

Post by glaux »

from the fantastic concert in Athens...
Attachments
Athens 300708 1.jpg
Athens 300708 1.jpg (71.81 KiB) Viewed 19402 times
glaux

Post by glaux »

..and another picture I would like to share...
Attachments
Athens 300708 2.jpg
Athens 300708 2.jpg (66.61 KiB) Viewed 19357 times
glaux

Post by glaux »

and finally, Leonard while playing "Sisters of Mercy".
Attachments
Athens 300708 3.jpg
Athens 300708 3.jpg (51.67 KiB) Viewed 19283 times
loukia

Post by loukia »

Thank you so much for sharing those wonderful photos!
yoeri

Post by yoeri »

nothing in the newspapers? i checked a bit online but couldn't find anything... surely I must have looked wrong.
2008: Athens
2009: Madrid
2010: Gent, Lille
2012: Gent, Berlin, Madrid
2013: Antwerp, Brussels, Pula, Amsterdam
loukia

Post by loukia »

That is a shame, if that's the case. I guess there was nothing yesterday in the Greek papers. I plan to check Athens News today.
hollgerson

Post by hollgerson »

I just couldn't believe that all around there were people sceaming poems :razz:
Leonard Cohen was something like a prophet on stage
He never seazed to show his pride & affection for his "impeccable" crew and that made him even more, if possible, admirable.
To me he always had the quality of a spiritual father ang the only sad point was his absence afterwards
So using this great forum I only want to thank him for his blessed existence
orlevnir

Post by orlevnir »

Just few more pics from this great show...

I still can't believe he finished with Famous blue raincoat...
Attachments
IMG_5773.jpg
IMG_5773.jpg (137.57 KiB) Viewed 18663 times
IMG_5772.jpg
IMG_5772.jpg (124.45 KiB) Viewed 18613 times
IMG_5695.jpg
IMG_5695.jpg (129.53 KiB) Viewed 18596 times
Sophia

Post by Sophia »

Everything was perfect. Leonard and his band, the setting, the weather, the happy faces.
Our man and his "Greek muse" were "back home" to unfold their lovely story.
It wasn't Lycabettus this time, but Terra Vibe was lovely and the audience was so warm and enthusiastic (with many many young people), singing all the time.Leonard was really happy and touched by the warm welcome and his opening in excellent Greek was so moving, thanking us for coming all the way there for the concert, not exactly in Athens:-) His voice was pure magic and I still can't forget his smile and his cute movements leaving the stage for the intermission.
What can I say about the band; Sharon Robinson and the Webb Sisters were absolutely superb (I have no words for "If It Be Your Will",it blew me away). The musicians were magnificent, we really enjoyed Javier Mas with his warm, familiar sounds and the masterful playing.
And then it was "Famous Blue Raincoat", the favourite for many Greeks. I can't describe the feeling, but we were all one hug, one voice. I left ecstatic with a big smile for a dream that has come true.

Thank you so much Leonard.

Sophia
TerraVibe.jpg
TerraVibe.jpg (44.34 KiB) Viewed 18563 times

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ant1/27174 ... 455695370/

confetti

Post by confetti »

brilliant photos everybody, it sounds like a really great night. Lucky you. :D
"I needed so much, to have nothing to touch - I've always been greedy that way"

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”