CONCERT REPORT: Nice (July 22)

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Bela

CONCERT REPORT: Nice (July 22)

Post by Bela »

This article was printed yesterday (22/07) in the main daily newspaper of the region:

And today there's also an article praising LC's performance last night with this photo:

London O2 Arena 17 July (with binoculars)
London RAH 17 November (without binoculars)
phillip

Nice, France (July 22)

Post by phillip »

Sorry if I am being impatient but where are the posts for this venue, I have read them all and yet there are none for last nights concert in Nice? anyone?????
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
MarieM

Re: Nice, France (July 22)

Post by MarieM »

Yes, anyone? Also, setlist please? We all would appreciate it very much.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
sandrine1

Post by sandrine1 »

The concert took place in a garden. According to the media, there was about 7.000 persons, including Bono and The EDge (U2). I didn't see them...We had no chairs, so you had the choice either to sit on the grass, either to stand... THat's what I did, and I had the chance to be in the front row.

The concert began at 21h, and lasted about 1:45, without break. The setlist was :

Dance me to the end of love
Ain't no cure for love
Bird on a wire
Everybody knows
So long Marianne
Who by fire
Tower of song
Suzanne
HAllelujah
DEmocracy
I'm your man
First we take Manhattan

Encore :
Closing time
Anthem

Forgive me if I forgot 1 or 2 songs...

Leonard was in great shape, very happy to be there. At the beginning of the show the sound was not perfect, but the problem has been quickly solved. At the end, Leonard said it was a great honour to play for his public. There was a woman and a child who were sitting on the scene, watching the show. THey joined the band at the end for the final.

I attended the show in Lyon, and this one was completely different. IT's hard to compare. The gig in Nice was shorter, but there was a warm feeling in the crowd, a lot of love for Leonard.

MAceo PArker played after Leonard. I don't know why 2 big artists have been planned the same night, Lyon was also a festival and Leonard was the only artist playing on the 9th July.

SO, it was a great night, but I felt frustrated and I 've bought this morning a ticket for one of the 3 Concerts at the Olympia !
phillip

Post by phillip »

Thanks

good to read a report on the venue at last! I saw him in Manchester UK and will be seeing him again in November at Birmingham can't wait, I posted a report on the Manchester show and will do the same for Birmingham! Leonard is the best well night night :D
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

sandrine1, yes, thank you so much for the complete report and the set list. Better job in getting in all the important details than most reporters. Much appreciated. Sounds like it was another wonderful night.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
a22catcher

Post by a22catcher »

Hi,

What a great night.
Thanks for the set list. A small correction - the last song was 'closing time', and 'anthem' and 'first we take Manhattan' were on encore.
I also stood in the front row, which was really great; I wonder if the people behind had a good view of the show.
I added a picture I took using my cell phone (the quality is not good). It would be great if someone posts some photos.

Cheers
Attachments
22-07-08_2135.jpg
22-07-08_2135.jpg (50.62 KiB) Viewed 18873 times
Bela

Post by Bela »

I posted a short article and two pics that were published in Nice-Matin - in the News section of this Forum. The concert was a great success; the French word for that is 'Un tabac'. LC a fait un tabac à Nice!
Leonardlover

Post by Leonardlover »

Here's the set list from Nice, July, 22nd.
(i'm not absolutely sure about the order of the songs, can someone confirm this list?)

1. Dance Me to the End of Love
2. The Future
3. Ain't No Cure for Love
4. Bird on a Wire
5. Everybody Knows
6. Who by Fire
7. So Long, Marianne
8. Tower of Song
9. Suzanne
10. Hallelujah
11. Democracy
12. I'm Your Man
13. Closing Time

Encore 1:
14. Anthem

Encore 2:
15. First We Take Manhattan
16. Whither Thou Goest

The concert was great, but I was a little disappointed by this short set; I suppose it was not because of Leonard, but because of the Nice Jazz Festival format (many artists the same night on 3 stages); anyway, LC was in great shape, running to the stage, laughing with the crew, and the songs were perfectly done. Ah, but I didn't hear Sharon singing Boogie Street .... :(
crystal

Post by crystal »

Hi everybody,
just back from Nice. The posted setlist sounds about right. I was prepared for the relativ short concert. Of course I would have liked to last it all night. I thought it was a very wonderful evening, the setting was just great. A warm summer night, a beautiful garden and the gift of hearing Leonard Cohen - I am very grateful for this night - and looking forward to the concert in Berlin in October.
Christel
Tommyk

Post by Tommyk »

I was at the gig also. The venue was nice but it was hard to see the stage from a distance. The sound could have been louder also. Leonard was great though as was the band. I saw him in Dublin recently and this gig seemed more subdued. Cant wait for the O2 gig in December.
jnradu

Post by jnradu »

Superbe concert, léonard était en forme, souriant , saluant mainte fois le public qui l'ovationnait, enlevant et remettant son fameux chapeau, visiblement heureux de l'accueil qui lui a été fait.
Il prit la précaution de présenter chaque chanson en francais.
Lorsqu'il cita ce passage de Tower of song (I was born like this, I had no choice
I was born with the gift of a golden voice) tout le monde applaudit , un moment très intense, inoubliable.

Jean Noel, Saint Raphael

Quelques images prises au concert :
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=YKDwZDh96uQ
Mes photos sont minables, allez voir celles de pirlouiiit qui a laissé un message sur ce forum :
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pirlouiiii ... 344693517/
Merci encore !

Great concert, léonard was in form, smiling, greeting many time the public which clapped hands, taking off and putting on again its famous hat, obviously happy of the welcome which was made to him. He took care to present each song in French . When he sang this passage of "Tower of song "(I was born like this, I had No choice I was born with the gift of a golden voice) everyone applauds, very intense, unforgettable moment.
Jean Christmas,
Saint Raphael
Some images taken during the concert
: http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=YKDwZDh96uQ

My photographs are poor, will see those of pirlouiiit which left a message on this forum: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pirlouiiii ... 344693517/
Cet article comporte de belles photos (nice pics here):http://www.nicerendezvous.com/FR/NICE-J ... -4152.html
confetti

Post by confetti »

i like your photos jnradu, they are very natural. They give a feeling of the event, i like them very much.
i
"I needed so much, to have nothing to touch - I've always been greedy that way"
Bela

Post by Bela »

Just heard from my friends in Nice that there have been lots of complaints about the fact that some people had brought chairs to stand on during the concert and others 'could only see Leonard's hat'. There have even been articles about it in Nice-Matin. Why are there always people who are determined to spoil things for others?!
dreja

Post by dreja »

Hi!
First of all- I really enjoyed Cohen concert in Cimiez. I waited for two hours to be close to the stage and it paid off.
I made a short film that you can see.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fApKAVRuxNw
best wishes,
andreja

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”