The sublime Webb sisters

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Henning

The sublime Webb sisters

Post by Henning »

There have been discussions about Leonard's habit to name the musicians so often. When we were discussing it at the Amsterdam meetup it was almost common sense that it is really disturbing when he does it during the songs. Also I think that the musicians themselves can't bear to hear their name several times during the show. I know that Dino Soldo has asked Leonard to leave him out because he wanted to change his name anyways. Into what ? December. Dino December ? No, December Soldo.

I have seen 4 shows now. You forget about this and that but you won't forget the sublime Webb Sisters. The words are on my mind when I fall asleep and they are the first that come to my mind when I wake up. "The sublime Webb Sisters". Have they ever been without that attribute "sublime" before. And also I want to know among us fans, do we have our favorite sublime Webb sister ? Sublime blonde or sublime dark ? Before the tour started I didn't even know about the existance of the word sublime. I never used it. Now I am in danger to order that sublime Webb Schnitzel at the butchers. Can't wait to see them again in Loerrach - the sublime Webb Sisters.
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
ispellit

Re: The sublime Webb sisters

Post by ispellit »

Henning wrote: Before the tour started I didn't even know about the existance of the word sublime. I never used it.
Naaaah, I'm sure you knew the word before:
And every drinker every dancer
lifts a happy face to thank her
the fiddler fiddles something so sublime...
;-)
Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?
Matthew 7,3
Henning

Post by Henning »

I am drunk at closing time. So no wonder i missed it.
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Henning,
Here are some of my pics of Amsterdam... Which one do you prefer? And I don't mean which picture, but which female background vocal...
Hattie Webb
Hattie Webb
P1020506.jpg (35.09 KiB) Viewed 26037 times
Charley Webb
Charley Webb
P1020499.jpg (34.83 KiB) Viewed 30736 times
Or...
Sharon Robinson...
Sharon Robinson...
P1020480.jpg (52.14 KiB) Viewed 25844 times

I think I have to go for "the Blonde", she seems a bit more natural and stood there very cosy on stage in Amsterdam, with her hands in her pockets, very casual and relaxed...

Gr,
Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
daveeliver

Post by daveeliver »

Vague memories of this being mentioned before but I'm looking forward to the last performance on the tour of the aforementioned Closing Time
it's CLOSING TIME

Yeah the women tear their blouses off
Look after yourself and (each)others. All the best Dave ♫♫♫
stan

Post by stan »

I was in Manchester on the wednesday and i saw the Webb sisters and the sublime Lenard Cohen and the impecable Sharon R.
It will never be closing time now that i have seen Lenard!PS did i mention the sublime Jondi who got me my ticket
liverpool, Manchester,Leeds.
erika80

Post by erika80 »

yes, we do have a favourite sublime Webb sister...
mine is Charlie, the dark one...
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I'm going to throw my vote into this ring. Hands down... Sharon Robinson... my favourite.
Earth Mother and Goddess in one.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
ispellit

Post by ispellit »

lizzytysh wrote:I'm going to throw my vote into this ring. Hands down... Sharon Robinson... my favourite.
Earth Mother and Goddess in one.
Well said, Lizzy! I strongly second that!

As for the Webb Sisters, they're both lovely and very talented singers. Wouldn't want/ can't to chose a favourite.

Kerstin
Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?
Matthew 7,3
mutti

Post by mutti »

I vote for Sharon Robinson as well...
All 3 women are beautiful and talented...
I just find her deep and soulful.
Maybe this thread should have a new title?
Mutti 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
seadove

Post by seadove »

How was it decided that the Webb sisters be called "sublime"?
remote1

Post by remote1 »

That's the way LC chose to introduce them, especially on the Live in London DVD. And I personally agree with the description... :D
I think Sharon Robinson was introduced as the "incomparable Sharon Robinson"... They all had an adjective but I can't remember the others right now 'cause I'm knackered and my memory has packed up for the day...

PS: Not quite sure whether this answers your question.
"We are so lightly here"

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”