CONCERT REPORT: Edinburgh (July 16)

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
brokenhill

Post by brokenhill »

Just two weeks to go. There was some great advice on places to go and things to do at the end of this thread here viewtopic.php?f=26&t=10388&start=75

But having never met anyone from this forum, is there some secret handshake or lapel-wear that allows us to spot each other on a bus, bar, or cobbled street?

p.s. I think we exhausted all the "Blue Raincoat/Rags of light" jokes in another thread, surely!
Still reliving every second of:1970 Isle of Wight, 1985 Birmingham, 2008 Manchester OH , Edinburgh, Cardiff, Bournemouth, Birmingham, 2009 Liverpool and ................ :o)
Jeremy

Edinburgh July 16th

Post by Jeremy »

Hi brokenhill - likewise looking forward (more than a little!) to this leg of the voyage, after being blown away in Manchester last month.

I do know Edinburgh pretty well, and we're staying in the Grassmarket which is both very close to the castle and populated with a great many bars and restaurants. I strongly suspect that brilliant though Manchester was as a venue (and it was), one thing that Edinburgh might improve on is the chance for a party atmosphere. The castle is in a very clearly defined and discrete location, and whereas the Opera House in Manc was a theatre on one of very many roads in the city centre, the hill in Edinburgh will have much more of a small village feel about it, and with luck the area will be rammed with people looking forward to the show.

I know I haven't answered your specific question (maybe a big boquet of cactus? :) ), but my hope is that we'll know each other when we're there.
the end

Re: Edinburgh July 16th

Post by the end »

I'm so excited about this gig, I've got a day to recover from T in the park and then I'm heading through to Edinburgh. Not been to a gig at the castle before so I'm quite curious to see what its like as a venue
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

I also will be there and guess what I will be wearing

--------------- A Boquet of freshly cut tears---------------

Dublin was G R E A T

E D I N B U R G H-----
can only get better
See you all there

G
Last edited by Gregor on Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is a crack in every thing thats how the light gets in
Crisfree

Post by Crisfree »

I'll be there too. My days are always a mess. I haven't yet a plane ticket but anyway I''ll be there for sure. Where can find a cheap hotel in Edinbourgh ? It takes a long time from London to Edimbourgh by train? It would be easier get a ticket to London. Thanks
the end

Post by the end »

Crisfree wrote:I'll be there too. My days are always a mess. I haven't yet a plane ticket but anyway I''ll be there for sure. Where can find a cheap hotel in Edinbourgh ? It takes a long time from London to Edimbourgh by train? It would be easier get a ticket to London. Thanks
If you check the cheap airlines you can probably get a flight for a lot less than the train would cost, it would also be a lot quicker. As for cheap hotel theres all the usual suspects like travel lodges etc, or if you want something cheaper theres lots of hostels in Edinburgh
str

Post by str »

I'll be there too.

Trains from Edinburgh to London take 4 1/2 hours, if you choose the right trains. To the centre of Edinburgh (from London King's Cross). That's the way I'm doing it --- flying is quicker, but then it's longer if you include getting to the airport, having to check in 30 mins before flying, getting from the other airport in to town, etc.

I can't wait. I've never seen Leonard live, though I have been an fan (no, addict) for many many years. I also love Edinburgh, lived there for many years. Should be a fantastic gig!

sarah/
racer76

Post by racer76 »

Hi, re Edinburgh Castle although great and atmospheric as the seats are kind of close if you are tall/longlegs it can be uncomfortable after 30 minutes or so, my advice after a couple of concerts there are keep standing for as long as possible till the start of the show oh and if it rains........
Situated at the top of the Royal Mile if this is enyones first trip to Auld Reekie can I suggest you take time and do the entire Royal Mile from the bottom at the Scottish Parliament to the top, even all this time I never tire of it.
HA HA Boyzone still have`nt sold out yet......no substitute for class.
brokenhill

Post by brokenhill »

Good tip Racer, and my favourite forecasting site reckons a "fair" afternoon and "partly cloudy" evening.

So bring your Sou'wester :lol:
Still reliving every second of:1970 Isle of Wight, 1985 Birmingham, 2008 Manchester OH , Edinburgh, Cardiff, Bournemouth, Birmingham, 2009 Liverpool and ................ :o)
Trish-Edinburgh

Edinburgh July 16

Post by Trish-Edinburgh »

Hi Folks,
Only a few days to go till I see the master in action.
Still cannot believe I am going to see him in concert feels like a dream.
I only live about 20 minutes from the castle how lucky is that.
Will probably go for a meal first then a few drinks after the concert to wind down.
Is anyone doing anything exciting before or after the concert.
Just hope it isnt raining as I do not think there is a roof where we are all sitting.
Getting really excited.
Trish.
rzappa

Re: Concert in Edinburgh 16th July 2008

Post by rzappa »

Hi Trish,

I know what you mean, it's hard to believe. I never thought I'd see Mr. Cohen live - or even if I did that it would be on mainland Europe rather than on my doorstep. :D
I live out beside the airport so not so far to travel either.
My wife & I have a babysitter booked and I'm taking the day off work so that we can head in early enough to go for a meal.
As you'll have noticed the weather hasn't been too great recently - I hope we at least get a dry night.
I haven't been to a concert at the castle before & I've been told it gets quite chilly even on a warm evening.
I've been a fan for around 35(ish) years (I have an older brother who played Leonard's records back in the days when there were still only 3 to chose from).
This is a dream come true - roll on Wednesday :)
alexw123

Re: Concert in Edinburgh 16th July 2008

Post by alexw123 »

I am working in Sheffield just now and will travel up on Wednesday. I saw the gig in Dublin and it was awesome. I am seated in block X so I think I have good seats. I know Edinburgh having lived there for about 4 years so I will wrap up well and have a waterproof with me. But I hope it is dry.
brokenhill

Post by brokenhill »

2000 word preview in the Sunday Herald is fairly comprehensive.

http://www.sundayherald.com/arts/arts/d ... 07.0.0.php
tommylen

Post by tommylen »

Just been browsing through the clips on Youtube and reading the reports on here
The people who run this site deserve a lot of credit for the superb effort they have made to get the tour out to the the fans. An absolute top class web site.

We are going to the Edinburgh Concert and while the reports from elsewhere confirm wonderful nights let me tell you that Edinburgh will be the daddy of the tour.

The castle venue is wonderful and the sound system will create a party time like no other.

Cant wait.Just cant wait.
ms.blue

Post by ms.blue »

Hi all... and i will be there wearing the biggest smile!!! along with my mac of course! to be fair it cannot be any worse than manchester was on wed 14th :roll: look forward to catching up with other fans tue to thur [jeremy i have just put your no in my phone] must try to get some sleep but i feel like a kid the night before christmas!!!! :lol: and of course i meant 18th!!! d'oh

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”