CONCERT REPORTS: Montreal (June 23, 24, and 25)

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Mark J

Re: MONTREAL (JUNE 23-25)

Post by Mark J »

By far my favorite concert ever was seeing Cohen live in Toronto 2 weeks ago. Now there's another leader, by far. There's basically three words that will inspire rich jealousy in those who weren't there and have left those who were there with blabber-mouthed giddyness. I would've been happy with an off-key croon of the song (not that anything was off-key tonight), but he brought out Famous Blue Raincoat with smooth, practised precision. I'm still pinching myself and asking my wife if it really happened. It was debuted in Manchester on Friday, but I just read that now. As such, the first, unmistakable minor chords to Raincoat provoked a somewhat embarrasing scream of pleasure from me.
While Raincoat and Avalanche (the actual tour debut) were wholly captivating, this was actually the norm for the rest of the 3.5 hour set. He knew he was home, and he gave us something special tonight. As he does every night. Still, I can't help but wonder how he can possibly keep adding songs to his almost nightly, extended sets without his physiological system telling him, quite rightly, that he's 73 and he had us at "Bonjour." What a class act. None to compare. We saw history tonight, and we owe our thanks to Leonard.
Darling

Post by Darling »

VELOVERMONT

Post by VELOVERMONT »

Mark J wrote:What a class act. None to compare. We saw history tonight, and we owe our thanks to Leonard.
Mark says it right ! I Wholly agree with his appreciation.

A friend of mine,who is not especially tender,told me he wept during the rendition of If It Be Your Will.

At the end of the show ( 28 songs long !...still too short !),Leonard had a little delicacy for Montrealers.There is a folk song in Quebec called : A La Claire Fontaine whose refrain goes :" Il y a longtemps que je t'aime,jamais je ne t'oublierai"which in english makes : I have been loving you for a long time,you will never get out of my mind.So Leonard's last words were ( very softly sung) :

Il y a longtemps que je t'aime,jamais je ne t'oublierai
montreal 2008; montreal 2012x2
k-e-t

Post by k-e-t »

Darling wrote:Review from The Gazette with many pictures: Jazz Fest: Concert Review: Leonard Cohen at Place des Arts, June 23
Well, I have to disagree with his opening line, but it was a pretty good review (although a bit short, I thought).

Montreal is my hometown... I would have loved to have seen the show there. I'm not complaining, because the Moncton show was completely perfect, but something about seeing him in Montreal would be extra magical, I think.
VELOVERMONT

Post by VELOVERMONT »

k-e-t wrote:it was a pretty good review (although a bit short, I thought).
Tomorrow's review in La Presse will certaily be more substantial.Today is Quebec national Day and La Presse is not published.

To be followed...
montreal 2008; montreal 2012x2
Neophyte

Post by Neophyte »

VELOVERMONT wrote:
At the end of the show ( 28 songs long !...still too short !),Leonard had a little delicacy for Montrealers.There is a folk song in Quebec called : A La Claire Fontaine whose refrain goes :" Il y a longtemps que je t'aime,jamais je ne t'oublierai"which in english makes : I have been loving you for a long time,you will never get out of my mind.So Leonard's last words were ( very softly sung) :

That is so sweet! I'm so glad you reported this as I'm going to Wednesday's show and, if he repeats it, I'd have had no idea what he was saying. Even if he doesn't repeat it, I'll know what he's thinking... Appreciate all of the Montreal reports....good to know he's still SPECTACULAR!!!! :mrgreen:
Hallelujah!!!
commap

Montreal first show last night

Post by commap »

It was phenomenal! It was fantastic! The show lasted more than 3 hours.... Mr. Cohen was absolutely masterful. I had tears in my eyes for the whole first part of the show. It was so moving to see him again in Montreal, his hometown. The public gave him his first stand up ovation as soon as he appeared on stage, before he sang his first song. There is no word to describe the fabulous show my husband and I attended last night - a show we will remember all of our life. Two more shows, tonight and tomorrow night and then a special show in his honour at the Montreal International Jazz festival on June 26. Montreal loves Cohen and last night Montreal showed Cohen how much love it has for him. Cohen seemed moved by all this affection. It was great to see him and to listen to his voice, which was perfect (so were those of Robinson and the Webb sisters - the musicians were perfect as well). I would go back tonight if I could. An incredible evening! WOW!WOW!WOW!

p.s. See this link for a review, in French, of last night show and a video extract of the show.
http://www.radio-canada.ca/arts-spectac ... oncert.asp
imaginary friend

Post by imaginary friend »

" Il y a longtemps que je t'aime,jamais je ne t'oublierai"which in english makes : I have been loving you for a long time,you will never get out of my mind.So Leonard's last words were ( very softly sung) :

Thank you for the translation Velovermont – would have missed that sweet little detail without it.

It seems inadequate to describe last night's concert as magical, it was more than that. For 3 1/2 hours, we all got to live in a better world. Leonard's intimacy with both audience and band members, the power of his voice and the generosity of his great heart were amazing – I'm not embarrassed to say I felt awe.
I absolutely loved it ALL, but highlights (for me) were:

- 'Hallelujah' (of course)
- Boogie Street with Sharon Robinson
- The Webbs very pure 'If it be Your Will'
- Anthem
- Recitation of 'A Thousand kisses Deep' to a completely still audience
- the best delivery of 'Marianne' ever
- 'Famous Blue Raincoat'
- Meeting Jack, Lizzy, Manna, Dick, Eva, Cate etc. for a lovely dinner at Jack's before the show.

Thank you Leonard, the band, the organizers, the audience – all Leonard's children here, in our rags of light – for a night to treasure.
username

Post by username »

I had a wonderful time. I never expected the concert to be 3.5 hours!! What a treat! I'm a yong guy, 26 years old, and even my eyes got a little watery on a few occasions. i was so happy to see Leonard play Avalanche on his own like he used to do. I wasn't expecting it, and it was certainly a treat. I knew going in that this was probably going to be the one and only chance I get to see him perform, so I tried to take as much in as possible and cherish the experience.
commap

Attended Montreal show last night - comment

Post by commap »

It was phenomenal! It was fantastic! The show lasted more than 3 hours.... Mr. Cohen was absolutely masterful. I had tears in my eyes for the whole first part of the show. It was so moving to see him again in Montreal, his hometown. The public gave him his first stand up ovation as soon as he appeared on stage, before he sang his first song. There is no word to describe the fabulous show my husband and I attended last night - a show we will remember all of our life. Two more shows, tonight and tomorrow night and then a special show in his honour at the Montreal International Jazz festival on June 26. Montreal loves Cohen and last night Montreal showed Cohen how much love it has for him. Cohen seemed moved by all this affection. It was great to see him and to listen to his voice, which was perfect (so were those of Robinson and the Webb sisters - the musicians were perfect as well). I would go back tonight if I could. An incredible evening! WOW!WOW!WOW!

p.s. See this link for a review, in French, of last night show and a video extract of the show.
http://www.radio-canada.ca/arts-spectac ... oncert.asp
Darkness

June 23/08 Leonard Cohen Enthralls Home Town Audience

Post by Darkness »

http://pinotblack.livejournal.com/

Check back later, photos from the opening night in Montreal to come.
neo

Post by neo »

Pictures from June 23, at Salle Wilfrid-Pelletier of Place des Arts:

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/a ... 3Cohen&g=0
manonsansoucy

Post by manonsansoucy »

Here's link to some photos published in the Montreal Gazette newspaper

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/a ... 3Cohen&g=0

When I walked over to the stage last night with a bouquet of daisies for Leonard my heart was pounding and then, then he looked straight into my eyes and he greeted me with a charming smile and said "Thank you, thank you".

... jamais je ne t'oublierai.

Manon
Steve Wilcox

Post by Steve Wilcox »

And So Long Marianne was returned to its original arrangement and beat with Metzger and Mas strumming out the 1-2-3, 1-2-3 rhythm on their acoustic guitars. This show was almost beyond words.

Gotta go get ready for Tuesday night
Darling

Post by Darling »

Any cameras filming the whole show? I'm thinking DVD...

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”