CONCERT REPORTS: Montreal (June 23, 24, and 25)

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
VELOVERMONT

CONCERT REPORTS: Montreal (June 23, 24, and 25)

Post by VELOVERMONT »

Every Leonard Cohen's performance up to now,according to this site's posts, has generated fans enthousiasm if not outright adulation.

Accordingly,there will certainly be something very special and unique in the air when Leonard enters the scene at Place des Arts on june 23rd and is greeted in the city he was born in and where he grew up.

I can hardly wait for that magic moment when 3000 fans will raise in unisson and welcome their favorite son coming back home !

It has been announced that at the end of Montreal's Jazz Festival, a tribute evening dedicated to Leonard Cohen will be held on an outside stage, many well known performers singing Leonard's song.These outside performances, on a nice evening, can gather up to 50,000 persons.Seemingly Leonard will not be present, but he will appear on a giant screen singing three songs OFFICIALLY RECORDED during his june 23rd show.

I just hope that not only three songs,but the whole show will have been recorded,eventually to be released as a DVD.
montreal 2008; montreal 2012x2
Gregor

Re: MONTREAL (JUNE 23-25)

Post by Gregor »

VELOVERMONT wrote:Every Leonard Cohen's performance up to now,according to this site's posts, has generated fans enthousiasm if not outright adulation.

Accordingly,there will certainly be something very special and unique in the air when Leonard enters the scene at Place des Arts on june 23rd and is greeted in the city he was born in and where he grew up.

I can hardly wait for that magic moment when 3000 fans will raise in unisson and welcome their favorite son coming back home !

It has been announced that at the end of Montreal's Jazz Festival, a tribute evening dedicated to Leonard Cohen will be held on an outside stage, many well known performers singing Leonard's song.These outside performances, on a nice evening, can gather up to 50,000 persons.Seemingly Leonard will not be present, but he will appear on a giant screen singing three songs OFFICIALLY RECORDED during his june 23rd show.

I just hope that not only three songs,but the whole show will have been recorded,eventually to be released as a DVD.
This somthing to look foward to and will be cherished by All
G
There is a crack in every thing thats how the light gets in
Judy

Post by Judy »

Gregor wrote:
VELOVERMONT wrote: It has been announced that at the end of Montreal's Jazz Festival, a tribute evening dedicated to Leonard Cohen will be held on an outside stage, many well known performers singing Leonard's song.These outside performances, on a nice evening, can gather up to 50,000 persons.Seemingly Leonard will not be present, but he will appear on a giant screen singing three songs OFFICIALLY RECORDED during his june 23rd show.
G
This is going to be shown on French TV the "Arte" channel, July 14th at 10.40 pm (French time :D)
VELOVERMONT

Post by VELOVERMONT »

Judy wrote:
Gregor wrote:
VELOVERMONT wrote: It has been announced that at the end of Montreal's Jazz Festival, a tribute evening dedicated to Leonard Cohen will be held on an outside stage, many well known performers singing Leonard's song.These outside performances, on a nice evening, can gather up to 50,000 persons.Seemingly Leonard will not be present, but he will appear on a giant screen singing three songs OFFICIALLY RECORDED during his june 23rd show.
G
This is going to be shown on French TV the "Arte" channel, July 14th at 10.40 pm (French time :D)
Nice preview for the Nice Cohen's performance !
ang

Post by ang »

just a correction . . while the jazz fest continues until july 6, the leonard cohen tribute will be held on june 26:

http://www.montrealjazzfest.com/Fijm200 ... showId=588

also, 50,000 people is probably an understatement, i think at the paul simon tribute 2 years ago the crowd was
estimated to be twice that. make sure to get there early!
Darling

Post by Darling »

There's a thread for the tribute show:

http://leonardcohenforum.com/viewtopic. ... 2d51a18ec7

Although a lot of it is Tchocolatelt and me fooling around, there is also some information...
dick

Post by dick »

Hi Guys

Hope you have seen the meetup info in the pretour thread

After concerts mon, tues, wed, and thurs, see us at the Holiday Inn Midtown

Look forward very much to sharing some time with you!

Dick
VELOVERMONT

Post by VELOVERMONT »

In an interview published in Montreal's La Presse newspaper on june 14th, Leonard has good words for Jarkko.
See my post in :News," Leonard Cohen pays tribute to Jarkko."
VELOVERMONT

Post by VELOVERMONT »

LEONARD COHEN FRONT PAGE STAR
Click the following URL to see today's front page of Montreal newspaper Le Devoir.
The URL may not be valid anymore on Monday

http://www.ledevoir.com/

Once on the site,click : " La une"
Mark J

Post by Mark J »

As much as we've heard about the similarity between shows, I can't help but feel that the hometown crowd is going to mean something special for Mr. Cohen. The venue itself is a ten minute walk from "our lady of the harbour" and about 15 minutes from his current Montreal residence.

6 years ago, when I had to choose a city for grad school, Leonard Cohen had a lot to do with me coming to Montreal. I never thought I'd see him performing downtown. I'll give a predictably awe-struck review tomorrow evening.
jdhayes

Post by jdhayes »

Went to see Leonard twice in Dublin. I can only say that you have a real treat in store.He has improved with age. Any volunteer to show an Irish fan around the Leonard sites of Montreal if I visit?
2xDublin 2008, 2xDublin 2009, Berlin, Beacon Theatre 2009, Cardiff, Birmingham, 2xSligo 2010, 3 x Dublin 2012
"You held on to me like I was a crucifix, as we went kneeling through the dark"
lilyrose

Post by lilyrose »

How I've longed for him all these years and now he finally came back home, to sing for me too. I will see/hear him tomorrow.

"My heart is <not> like ice." I love you, Leonard. (blush)
VELOVERMONT

Post by VELOVERMONT »

I am borrowing Rod Stewart's words : "TONIGHT IS THE NIGHT" when Leonard and Montreal reunite !
A homecoming surely to be remembered.
stfa

Post by stfa »

Well?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Hamilton Place April 1993, O'Keefe Toronto July 1993, Center in the Square Kitchener June 2nd 2008, Hamilton Place June 3rd 2008, Copps Coliseum, Hamilton May 19th 2009, Labatt's London May 24th 2009, ACC Toronto December 4th & 5th 2012, Labatts London Dec 11th 2012 Copps Coliseum Hamilton April 9 2013 Tower of Song, Centre Bell November 6th 2017
dick

Post by dick »

Oh My God!

It should not be possible to continue just getting better and better, but that's my take on the lovefest in Montreal last night.

This time the concert stretched to nearly 3-1/2 hours --- Avalance, Sisters of Mercy, Famous Blue Raincoat, Whither Thou Goest, plus the full setlist for the tour, before a packed house of adoring fans. Leonard and band performed to perfection.

A previous poster noted that a benefit would be the rest of your life recalling and being able to state ... "I was there." I believe that to be totally true.

Jack,Tish, and Manna fed us to perfection to start -- and many were able to share snacks and drinks after, but it was the Show that will live forever in my mind.

Sincere thank you's to the entire enterprise that made tonight possible.

dick

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”