Manchester meet ups

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Rodin

Re: Manchester meet ups

Post by Rodin »

A metrolink ride to Old Trafford provides two experiences Liverpool cannot offer. An efficient rapid transport system and some recent football trophies.
Misunderstood
Judy

Post by Judy »

Can anyone tell me how to get to the Lowry Gallery from the Deansgate area, please ? Is it possible to go on foot ?
subtle

Post by subtle »

liverpoolken wrote:
subtle wrote:Hi all, I'm now getting to Manchester early morning on Friday 20th so will be able to take in a bit of what the city has to offer. I'm usually more than happy just to wander and soak up the atmosphere but if anyone has any must dos or must sees please feel free to pass them
Subtle

I'm afraid Manchester has nothing of interest whatsoever for the casual visitor. Once you have gazed upon the ugly glass white elephant that is called the Urbis and then had a ride on the ferris wheel that would be your lot. Manchester's claim to be the UK's second city is mainly based upon the fact that many of the UK major banks, insurance companies and other large financial organisations have their regional head offices in the city.
If you have the time jump on a train to Liverpool, only about a hours run, and come and enjoy the wonders of the European Capital Of Culture. There's enough here to see and do that could keep you busy for a week.

Ta Ken

Hey Ken, thanks for the advice but as an exiled Geordie the fact that Newcastle lost out to Liverpool in the City of Culture competition still hurts - not to mention those 4-3 defeats in the '90s - so visiting Liverpool would open too many old wounds.

It must pain you that Great Man is playing in Manchester rather than Liverpool?

That aside thinking about it as a Brit (although settled in Galway) I am rather shamed to say that I have only been to Liverpool once and never been to Manchester - yet I've been to Paris a dozen times - I must try harder to visit the strange exotic lands of the North West especially that Manchester is one of the few places you can actually fly to from Galway.

Still enough of that - any more recommendations for places to eat - I believe Manchester is the curry capital of the UK is it worth the effort ... or indeed the risk before a 3 hour gig!
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

Judy

The Lowry is not within walking distance from the city centre.
It's a rather soulless place but I know you want to go so here you go

Ta Ken

Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
Judy

Post by Judy »

Ken, that really is very kind of you. What a help !! Thank you so much.
Looking forward to seeing next week !!!
Judy
jondi

Post by jondi »

Hi Subtle, Given the numbers wanting me to eat humble pie plesae feel free to ignore this but Evuna on Deansgate is cool and hot and fairly close to The Opera House as is El Rincon (which may be a little footballish) please let me know if you want more
subtle

Post by subtle »

jondi wrote:Hi Subtle, Given the numbers wanting me to eat humble pie plesae feel free to ignore this but Evuna on Deansgate is cool and hot and fairly close to The Opera House as is El Rincon (which may be a little footballish) please let me know if you want more
Jondi - thanks for them - I'm partial to Spanish food or are they Mexican? - doesnt matter I'm partial to most good food, I''ll google them. Being close to the venue helps! Cheers
Judy

Post by Judy »

Thank you for the information ... all depends on how much time we have. We visited Utah Beach + the war museum there, earlier this year and a very "subduing" experience it was, too.
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

Judy

I've taken the liberty of showing a detail from Steve's beautiful photo that shows the view back into the city with the Beeton Tower, apparently the tallest building in Manchester. You can't quite see the the Deansgate pub but I assure you in right next door to the tower:-)

Ta Ken

Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
Judy

Post by Judy »

Thanks for the lovely picture and enlargement thereof ... can't possibly get lost now !! See you all soon !!!
Rodin

Post by Rodin »

You may do...it's the Beetham Tower.
The Cloud Bar in there has great views but outrageous prices
Misunderstood
roubiliac

Post by roubiliac »

Liverpoolken talks of Liverpool and culture in the same sentence. Is he having a laugh?
Johnthebrief

Post by Johnthebrief »

Cloud 23 also makes great cocktails to sip as you contemplate the amazing views.

Sadly the prices are indeed outrageous
linmag

Post by linmag »

John and I will be driving up from Gloucester on Tuesday afternoon for that evening's concert, so will head for the Deansgate as soon as we get there. Looking forward to seeing you all.
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
ninasspacechild

Post by ninasspacechild »

Hi.

I've only just managed to get tickets for Leonard's Tuesday concert. Would love to meet for a chat and drink / food before the concert and am happy to meet anywhere.
The sea refuses no river

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”