Manchester meet ups

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
stan

Re: Manchester meet ups

Post by stan »

Hi
Im not a vegy im strictly a pie chips and pint man.
liverpool, Manchester,Leeds.
stan

Post by stan »

Hi Paula

What happened to love and peace, with share and share alike?and that includes chips.
ms.blue

Post by ms.blue »

Will ask my son if i am ever going to get some 'board money' as a special treat [for me that is!!!]
and will get you a small glass of beer!! ;-)
stan

Post by stan »

Ms Blue
If he is like my two lads you dont have a chance of getting it!!!
stan

Post by stan »

Ms Blue
Is the small glass of beer because i wont buy you a full bag of chips.
stan

Post by stan »

ms Blue
im going out for a walk,i will bell you through the week.

see ya mate
Pete

Post by Pete »

Paula wrote:Stan you had better get Ms Blue her own bag of chips. I do not share chips. They are the ambrosia of the Gods.
and the mushy pea fritter is the elixer of everlasting life :)
1974: Brighton Dome 1976: Birmingham Town Hall 1993: London RAH 2008: Manchester Opera House, London O2, Matlock Bandstand, Birmingham NEC 2009: Liverpool Echo Arena 2013 Birmingham
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

I was in Manchester today for the Palestine Solidarity Campaign's march around town and after our march we all made our way to Albert Square for the Palestine Lives 2008 party. Plenty of Palestinian food, music, dance,and poetry plus some wonderful speakers including the redoubtable Jenny Tong. Anyways I don't supose you want to know about that. Before I headed back to Liverpool I went to have a look at the Deansgate.

First of all I timed the walk from the Opera House to the Deansgate and it took me just 8 and half minutes, not bad considering the amounts of shakshoukeh and lentils I had been scoffing in Albert Square earlier.
As has been already mentioned the pub is at the end (dare I say 'the Liverpool end') of Deansgate. If you are approaching it along Deansgate from the Opera House you will soon see an old railway bridge painted white and the pub is just before the bridge. It is in fact right next door to the new Hilton hotel which nobody can miss.
Plenty of fizzy lagers available around the £3 plus mark. More importantly 4 handpumps of real ale but only 3 working today. Hyde's Bitter, Marston's Pedigree and Robinson's Unicorn. I tried the Hyde's bitter which was good but a tad expensive at £2:80 the same pint of Hyde's would cost you £2:10 in my local in Liverpool.
There is a 'happy hour' Monday- Thursdays 5pm-7pm. when the beer is £2 a pint. Hey ho.

The place has apparently been refurbished recently. There is an L-shaped main bar with a couple of rooms around the back. There is also a roof terrace but this was unfortunately full of smokers on my visit despite there being designated covered smoker's area on the ground floor.
The usual pub grub menu was available but only until 5pm.

I made myself known to the duty managress Michele and she told me that she could give us a room downstairs for the 4 afternoons and if we wanted she could keep the chef on longer so we could eat later. I explained that I didn't have any idea of numbers or times so I had to let that offer go. All in all not a bad ale house for Manchester. Obviously touting for the Hilton hotel trade.

I think if you want to eat there best to arrive between 4 and 5 o'clock. For those not staying over in Manchester there is a manned Euro Parks 24 hour pay and display car park right opposite the pub. You can't miss it because it's painted bright blue and yellow.

So if you are coming along to the Deansgate before any of the concerts post up some details and we shall look out for you.
For a start I shall be there for each of the four nights from about 4 or 5 onwards.

Ta Ken
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
Rodin

Post by Rodin »

Ken when it's £75+ a brief who's bothered about 70p on a pint.
:D
Misunderstood
subtle

Post by subtle »

Hi all, I'm now getting to Manchester early morning on Friday 20th so will be able to take in a bit of what the city has to offer. I'm usually more than happy just to wander and soak up the atmosphere but if anyone has any must dos or must sees please feel free to pass them on. Also where's a good place for lunch? See you in the Deansgate...
secretchord

Post by secretchord »

subtle wrote:Hi all, I'm now getting to Manchester early morning on Friday 20th so will be able to take in a bit of what the city has to offer. I'm usually more than happy just to wander and soak up the atmosphere but if anyone has any must dos or must sees please feel free to pass them on. Also where's a good place for lunch? See you in the Deansgate...

you could have a look at urbis, the exhibits are not up to much but the building is great and the cafe is very good for lunch

there's castelfield canal basin as well, very pleasant if the weather is good, plenty of lunch opportunities there as well
...that David played and it pleased the Lord...

http://www.myspace.com/morrinmusic
Paula

Post by Paula »

Ken I stand in "shock and awe" at your comings and goings. You must have the energy of a child. Everytime I read a post of yours you are either just going somewhere or just coming back. How do you do it. Are you on vitamins :lol:
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
Rob

Post by Rob »

Just one week today!
Rob
subtle

Post by subtle »

secretchord wrote:
you could have a look at urbis, the exhibits are not up to much but the building is great and the cafe is very good for lunch

there's castelfield canal basin as well, very pleasant if the weather is good, plenty of lunch opportunities there as well

Thanks for that I'll probably have a good old stroll around those parts and I'm sure the sun is going to shine on all of us over the next week in Dublin and Manchester.
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

subtle wrote:Hi all, I'm now getting to Manchester early morning on Friday 20th so will be able to take in a bit of what the city has to offer. I'm usually more than happy just to wander and soak up the atmosphere but if anyone has any must dos or must sees please feel free to pass them
Subtle

I'm afraid Manchester has nothing of interest whatsoever for the casual visitor. Once you have gazed upon the ugly glass white elephant that is called the Urbis and then had a ride on the ferris wheel that would be your lot. Manchester's claim to be the UK's second city is mainly based upon the fact that many of the UK major banks, insurance companies and other large financial organisations have their regional head offices in the city.
If you have the time jump on a train to Liverpool, only about a hours run, and come and enjoy the wonders of the European Capital Of Culture. There's enough here to see and do that could keep you busy for a week.

One other activity that is a hit with the Manchester locals, but maybe not suitable for some of our feline lovin' forum members, is to find a place near the canal and count the dead cats as they float by. I think I read somewhere that the record was 27 in one hour.

Seriously, and I know this sounds a bit naff, the Central Library has an exhibition celebrating a 100 years of Mills and Boon books. It's worth a look and it's free. The Manchester room in the Manchester art gallery is also very interesting as is the room with the two magnificent Adolphe Valette paintings of Manchester. There's a couple of half decent Stubbs and a lot of Pre-Raff tat.

Then after that you can look for a train to Liverpool.

Ta Ken
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”