CONCERT REPORT: Fredericton, NB (May 11)

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
fisherinbelfast

Re: Fredericton (May 11) - the first concert of the tour

Post by fisherinbelfast »

wow what a set list and it should be even better by the time the tour rolls into dublin . can,t wait. william you still acting the fool on here ? just thought i,d mention that sinn fein president gerry adams is a huge fan of leonard and should be at the dublin show.
loulou

Post by loulou »

thanks so much for the clips - even the wonky clip of hallelujah made my heart want to burst with joy :D :D :D
desire the horse
depression the cart
Tri-me

Post by Tri-me »

I have my original Tri-me back. It was suprising to see there was no merchandise hopefully when some is available we can order it online. I would love a poster. Still no news about filming eh?
Cheers & DLight
Tri-me (tree-mite) Sheldrön
"Doorhinge rhymes with orange" Leonard Cohen
William

Post by William »

My goodness,
Rabbit, Mollydog (lovely name - seriously), upsofloating - you really do lack a sense of humour don't you? I've often thought irony was lost on Americans, it seems I may have been correct.
As for fisherinbelfast - the fact that your President is a fan of Leonard's has long been known to me. Indeed, I have sat with the man at table in New York and discussed the poet's work.
As to your reference to my acting the fool - my original point was that the taping, filming and distribution of material illegally is robbing the performer of his dues - a point with which, surely, you (and Gerry) would agree?
In spite of my little bit of fun, the substantive point remains. Thievery is thievery and no matter how people dress it up, Leonard Cohen and Sharon Robinson are being robbed of what is rightfully theirs.
God bless,
William
upsofloating

Post by upsofloating »

William wrote:My goodness,
Rabbit, Mollydog (lovely name - seriously), upsofloating - you really do lack a sense of humour don't you? I've often thought irony was lost on Americans, it seems I may have been correct.
As for fisherinbelfast - the fact that your President is a fan of Leonard's has long been known to me. Indeed, I have sat with the man at table in New York and discussed the poet's work.
As to your reference to my acting the fool - my original point was that the taping, filming and distribution of material illegally is robbing the performer of his dues - a point with which, surely, you (and Gerry) would agree?
In spite of my little bit of fun, the substantive point remains. Thievery is thievery and no matter how people dress it up, Leonard Cohen and Sharon Robinson are being robbed of what is rightfully theirs.
God bless,
William
I'm not sure if you've noticed, but irony and sarcasm do not translate well into messageboard or little 30 word paragraphs. If Swift simply said, "we should eat children", 'A Modest Proposal' would not be consider irony, it would be considered useless. Anyway, no harm, no foul.
"Dear child, I only did to you what the sparrow
did to you; I am old when it is fashionable to be
young; I cry when it is fashionable to laugh."

---Charles Bukowski
William

Post by William »

"A Modest Proposal" ironic?
First I heard of it! ;-)
God bless,
William
zintman61

Post by zintman61 »

Tom Sakic wrote:I am listening to Hallellujah right now. It's mesmerizing. He sings FIRST VERSION plus then new (1988/1993)verses!!! I have to compare it to Cale/Buckley full version yet, but he's finally doing it! Unfortunately the clip stops before the end.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZWCgwzQ_4g
Just got around to watching this.

jesus...that was stunning!
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

". . . and the band is really happening . . ." – what’s going down up on stage
Steve Wilcox introduces us the band members at http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/tour2008-5.html

--- Thanks to Steve for his outstanding article!!!
Rabbit

Post by Rabbit »

William wrote:My goodness,
I'm not American. Never been near the place. Or was this some other form of irony that I've missed?
Dem

Post by Dem »

Does the omission of new
songs from the upcoming album
mean that there will be another
promo tour after it is released?

Dem
zintman61

Post by zintman61 »

I didn't notice a link to this youtube clip of I'm Your Man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGHrk83UBeI
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

Noticed this May 11 video of Who By Fire was uploaded yesterday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRnzGmUTwWI
Previous version on YouTube was audio only, I believe.
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by DebS »

Amazingly, buzz continues in Fredericton since the concert. One of the reasons is that I think we are all trying to determine what it was exactly that made the night so magical - beyond the obvious! It's been widely discussed throughout the city - those of us who were there and can't stop talking about it - and those who are desolate in that they couldn't get tickets! I think part of it was that Leonard and the band made us feel like we were in fact all 'friends' - every one of the 700 odd souls that were in the Playhouse. It was a shared experience in that you felt that everyone there was experiencing the same emotions - and those emotions were a good place to be.

Although I wasn't at Woodstock (my parents wouldn't let me go :o) ), I think it was the same feeling that took over the thousands who were there (the original Woodstock). Euphoria! It's the same feeling you get on a sunny day when you can hang out on the deck with a friend and a glass of good wine and you don't have to be anywhere else - and life just feels good! No wonder that many people feel that it was the best concert that they had every attended. I hope that everyone in the band also feels the magic that they're creating and that the afterglow lasts a long, long time. I also hope that one of the concerts on the tour is recorded and that it's offered for sale. We would all dearly like to recapture some of the magic of that night. What Leonard creates is what this sad world needs more of. Let the light in everywhere!
zintman61

Post by zintman61 »

There's a book called Woodstock: The Summer Of Our Lives by Jack Curry.

Each chapter is a point of view from several people who were involved in organizing and filming,as well as people who were there as fans.

Apparantly it wasn't all that euphoric being stuck in the middle of a muddy field with cold damp clothes,no place to go to the washroom,nowhere to sleep.No shelter from the elements.No place to buy food because the "capitalist" hamburger stands were burned to the ground.
Liberation and freedom wasn't all that rampant,a gay couple couldn't walk through the crowd holding hands.

The festival is lavishly preserved on celluloid (thank god) but the reality of being stuck there for three days was apparantly quite dire.
The "euphoria" had worn off by the time Hendrix took the stage...about 30,000 people remained.THOSE were the true hippies...everyone else went back to work (or home to get heck from Mom and Dad).

Fascinating book for anyone interested in Woodstock.
Dem

Post by Dem »

Fredericton DJ serving up a menu for Cohen

CBC News
http://www.cbc.ca/arts/story/2008/05/22 ... cater.html

A Fredericton restaurateur has spun his way into catering for Leonard Cohen and his crew while the singer-songwriter tours the Maritimes.

Naz Ali travels North America spinning records in clubs and concert halls when he isn't operating his restaurant, Caribbean Flavas, in Fredericton.

Also known at DJ Nasty Naz, Ali's job in the music industry has led him to rub elbows in L.A. and Miami with some big stars.

"The light bulb went off in my head and I thought, I can cater and chef and DJ at the same time, so that is what I would do," Ali said. "I would DJ during the concert and as soon as the concert is done, I would throw back on my jacket and start cooking up a storm for these artists."

Ali started catering for the stars about three years ago and his clients have included Snoop Dogg, Akon and the Pussycat Dolls, as well as Canadians the Trews, Hedley and Bedouin Soundclash.

Ali was recently asked to make lunch one day while Cohen and his crew were performing in Fredericton.

The musician liked the food, and a single meal led to several others, Ali said.

"By the third day he is in love with the food, his entire crew loves the food and he makes a joke to … his tour manager, 'We should take Naz and his family on tour with us,'" Ali said.

The request was no joke, and on Monday, Ali packed up his dishes, cutlery and Cohen's favourite ingredients to travel to Moncton with the crew.

Cohen, a Montreal-born singer, songwriter, poet and novelist, was inducted into the U.S. Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in March, and the day after the New York gala announced he would be embarking on a tour, including major stops such as three days prior to the Montreal International Jazz Festival (June 23-25), four dates in Toronto (June 6-9) and a headline slot at Glastonbury Festival in the United Kingdom (June 29).

It is Cohen's first string of concert dates in 15 years, and includes many smaller, more intimate performance dates in Atlantic Canada, Ontario and Quebec.

Ali said he hasn't yet been asked to stay on tour with the musician but he's prepared to serve as Cohen's personal chef for as long as he's needed.

For now, he's adding a photograph of Cohen and an autographed menu to his restaurant's walls, which are already plastered with images of celebrities.

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”