London, 02 Arena, July 17 tickets

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
missbrodie04

Re: London, 02 Arena, July 17

Post by missbrodie04 »

Well said, Annie. I've never been to the O2 before, so have no idea how good/ bad/ indifferent a venue it actually is - but I find it hard to believe that 20,000 Leonard Cohen fans won't be able to create a pretty special atmosphere, no matter where they put us!
'Are we downhearted? No!'
Bela

Post by Bela »

I agree with both of you. Even the atmosphere at the Barbican last year was amazing (and the concert hall sits, what, 1500 people?). The wave of 'love' that engulfed the place when LC appeared brought tears to my eyes, just from the sheer 'noise' of the clapping and cheering. I can't begin to imagine what it feels like when 20,000 people clap and cheer at the same time. (Note to self: bring a box of tissues.)
London O2 Arena 17 July (with binoculars)
London RAH 17 November (without binoculars)
Paula

Post by Paula »

Bela you are confused the O2 is in England, it is a Leonard Cohen concert. No one should be clapping and cheering just a polite clap occasionally otherwise total silence. Thats the way it goes!
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
Bela

Post by Bela »

Paula wrote:Bela you are confused the O2 is in England, it is a Leonard Cohen concert. No one should be clapping and cheering just a polite clap occasionally otherwise total silence. Thats the way it goes!
You obviously weren't at the Barbican (London, England) last year. :lol:
Mackay1

Post by Mackay1 »

missbrodie04 wrote:Well said, Annie. I've never been to the O2 before, so have no idea how good/ bad/ indifferent a venue it actually is - but I find it hard to believe that 20,000 Leonard Cohen fans won't be able to create a pretty special atmosphere, no matter where they put us!
Believe me, the whole atmosphere at the O2 is horrible no matter who is playing there. It's just a huge space surrounded by a really tacky shopping mall. There is just no vibe or atmosphere there at all. Yes, the Barbican is also very big but it was built to appreciate music in and you can create a good feeling there which I just don't think would ever happen in the O2.
Bela

Post by Bela »

PBI, the Barbican is tiny in comparison with the O2 Arena, but I'm afraid you will not succeed in dampening my enthusiasm and anticipation. I firmly believe it will be AMAZING! We will make it so, regardless of the size of the auditorium. Have a little faith! :-)
A.Sukitu

Post by A.Sukitu »

Bela - I am with you on this. The 02 is grotesque yet we can make it amazing ... LC will be playing to us, and we shall be in the audience (I have decided to take binoculars). We can overcome the venue and stay in the moment. It is the only chance ... I feel that we have to transform the experience, else we shall be stuck in the mud ...
"You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. ... You gave the injury a tongue to heal itself."
Leonard Cohen in Book of Mercy (1984) Ch. 19.
honeyrose

Post by honeyrose »

Interesting that the o2 for 17 July is now totally sold out - and Ticketmaster released some seats there at level 106 yesterday as well (this is tier 1 - sited at around 6 o'clock related to the stage if the stage is 12 o'clock.) This means all the seats in Tier 4 have now sold out. They are a LONG WAY from the stage and you are advised to have a head for heights if you plan to sit there. I imagine it is like the top stands in Twickenham stadium, where I have sat and not enjoyed the experience.

More to the point most of these top tier seats only sold out this week and then in the last 48 hours. It makes me wonder if they are being bought by scalpers and touts who have seen how popular the shows are, rather than by diehard Leonard fans. Still if they do shift them it will be a good crowd for Leonard.

I am going to Manchester as I prefer a smaller more intimate venue anyway. Plus it is the first night in the UK and he will be fresh I hope.

Honeyrose
Bela

Post by Bela »

They actually released those tickets in BK 106 the day before yesterday and I got a couple of them. I had bought seats in Tier 4 on Friday morning, before I'd realised how high up they were (never been to O2). I was getting nightmares about it so I decided to see if I could get seats lower down, and I got lucky on Monday. I will try and get rid of the other tickets when I actually have them in my hands.

Thank you for posting that link in the other thread, honeyrose: it was a great help. :-)

I can't travel elsewhere, so London is my only option. I'm very happy. Obviously, not about the way Ticketmaster functions, etc., but things that can't be helped have to be accepted, I think.
linmag

Post by linmag »

Just the thought of 20,000 Leonard Cohen fans together in one place is enough to send shivers down my spine. I thought I was the only one left for so many years before I found this place that I still have to pinch myself sometimes, even after meeting so many lovely people at the various meet-ups. I was lucky enough to get seats on row F (A2), so all I have to worry about now is coping with the emotion of having Leonard and the band performing on stage a few metres away from me. I'm going to need one BIG box of tissues!
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
bean

Post by bean »

Never been to the 02 before.

I think I might get the rive bus down the Thames fom Embankment to the O2.

I see there is a Sushi bar at the 02 (Wasabi); might eat there. :D
Paula

Post by Paula »

Bean a lady at work went to see Take That at the O2 and then got the river boat back. Take That were walking down the walkway to the river it was obviously their way of getting out of the area. She was so excited she got to meet and talk with them down by the river. There were no other fans there.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
Padma

Post by Padma »

Bela wrote:They actually released those tickets in BK 106 the day before yesterday and I got a couple of them. I had bought seats in Tier 4 on Friday morning, before I'd realised how high up they were (never been to O2). I was getting nightmares about it so I decided to see if I could get seats lower down, and I got lucky on Monday. I will try and get rid of the other tickets when I actually have them in my hands.

If you can't sell the tickets on Tier 4, see if ticketmaster will give you a refund - I managed to get a refund on similar tickets but it was on the same day that I bought them. I explained to them that I didn't realise they were so high up and I have a fear of heights!!! I think Paula may have done the same.....
Last edited by Tim on Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed quote
Paula

Post by Paula »

Yeah I did Padma. I booked them over the phone and there was no mention of height when I bought them. If you buy on-line it does say something but not on the phone. Anyway they gave me a refund no problem.

Apparently it is not just very high it is also sheer
Bela

Post by Bela »

Oh, I never thought Ticketmaster might give refunds on anything, since they are so greedy. It's been a week now since I bought them and it's probably too late, but I might give it a try. They can only say no.

I don't think I'll have a problem selling those tickets nearer the time, anyway.

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”