Ticket Allocation

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Partisan

Ticket Allocation

Post by Partisan »

It does strike me that the proposed method for advanced booking is not going to benefit anyone it was intended to. Jarkko, perhaps you should consider a more closed, less arbitrary approach. I would suggest only emailing the password to those who have attended one of the events (1998 onwards) That should pretty much cut out the ticket touts. Do not underestimate the touts ability to hoover up all the special allocation before any real fan here has even logged on.

p.

p.s. another thought - how about allocating tickets in inverse proportion to the number of posts on here?(and only to members who joined before Jan1 2008)
cricketandbaloo

Re: Ticket Allocation

Post by cricketandbaloo »

It's great that that a pre-booking facility is going to be available to the big time fans who visit this site but i don't think people need to panic about tickets. C'mon guys, lets face it- a lot of people love LC and his music but to most casual music lovers he's a bit off the radar these days and not very high profile don't you think? getting tickets ain't gonna be like the Led Zepp show at the O2 now is it.
Paula

Post by Paula »

Cricket he is certainly not mainstream and not as high profile as Led Zepplin BUT he is an iconic figure to a lot of people who would love to have a chance to see him perform live. I think you are right I think tickets will be available but what Leonard has offered us as a mark of generosity for our support of him is the chance to get a block of good seats together.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
phillip

Post by phillip »

Ive been a fan for 20 years and will defiantely be there:) saw him in London UK in may 1993 he is great, I need 5 tickets as my family are fans too!
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
mogwai

Post by mogwai »

Unfortunately, I'm too young too have liked LC for as long as some of you here, so I suppose I don't deserve to get a chance of seeing him live. :roll:

Perhaps what Jarkko should do is only send the details to people who haven't seen him before :lol:
Also if someone's posts here are more than, say, 10, then they are off the list too!

Give up your seats Grandads! We do it on the bus for you guys!
Verite

Post by Verite »

Here in the US the fear of the whoremongers who are allowed to scalp tickets illegally by our cowardly congress is a legit concern. I was able to purchase tickets to see LC in 1988 and 1993 fairly late in the game, but there was no internet, and to only a few was LC considered a living legend...times have changed, and I fear the bastards with their troll armies buying up all the good tix so as to resell them to true fans at outrageously inflated prices, and hope steps can be taken to prevent that...but...
What I truly find disturbing is the desire on your part to treat those of us who have visited this site on and off since its incarnation without signing up to babble about what devoted fans we are as pariahs unworthy of being kept in the loop as "true fans" -- perhaps we're not pure idolators, my dear partisan, but LC's music has been part of my life since 1970, when as a wee lad of 11 my sister played his first album for me (later that summer a friend of hers recited the lyrics to Suzanne at her wedding). Over the years I've come here often to read LC's poetry, view his drawings, follow links, peruse the interesting and informative postings, etc., sometimes solely for personal edification and entertainment, but always to enjoy seeing that I'm far from alone in my appreciation of this man and his art...but for me the computer is a mere tool for obtaining information I cannot find on my bookshelves or record collection, when it comes to engaging life, well that is what bodies I can see and touch are for...and while I applaud those who can use the computer as a means to share community with people they only know from staring at the screen I'm typing this on...this will never be for me, sorry, but I'm too carnal.
Now, for this egregious sin you would bar me from joining this forum's queue to purchase concert tickets?? Say it ain't so, Joe!
Paula

Post by Paula »

Hi Verite you do sound like a genuine fan the problem is we have been literally swamped by psuedo fans after tickets and genuine fans it is very hard to tell the difference apart from the fact that people like you give a little background and have not just registered never posted or posted once and then pissed off. This site has been around about 6 years and this sudden influx is very overpowering.

If it is ticket touts who get the tickets I will be spitting feathers
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Verite ~

You do sound like a true fan, though you don't particularly sound like someone who has visited here so often:
but for me the computer is a mere tool for obtaining information I cannot find on my bookshelves or record collection, when it comes to engaging life, well that is what bodies I can see and touch are for...and while I applaud those who can use the computer as a means to share community with people they only know from staring at the screen I'm typing this on...this will never be for me, sorry, but I'm too carnal.
When you get a chance, have a look around the site ;-) .

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Verite

Post by Verite »

Hi Paula,
I've been visiting LCFiles since I first went online in 1997...I'm a pen and paper man, and it took that long a time to drag my luddite bones to a store to buy my first PC.

I guess I have been what the online communities call a "lurker"...such an odd appellation, shades of men in long rain coats...but after cruising around some of the other tour posts here at the forum, and seeing what can only be described as ill will from the long term posters to those who, like them, are delighted that LC is finally going to tour again and have come forward to join in the opportunity to get a better shot at tix -- with some posters even going so far as to discuss the "rule of law" and "purity"...well, it's like we've all just stumbled into a bizarro world of on-line aesthetes waving their nazi daggers...or in this case pointedly pressing their mousie's right clicker...I just don't get it, where's the love??

Which isn't to say I don't understand the distaste for the pigs working for the ticket scalpers...they are a real problem, and I hope it's one that can be dealt with in some fashion that actually defeats the programs they apparently have designed to suck up good tickets before a real human even finishes typing in his/her credit card number. But that's not all that's being said here...and it saddens me, makes me want to put on a Leonard Cohen album and channel some good old fashioned mock disdain and despair for lost causes, lost loves, lost socks and other matters of great societal import.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Mogwai ~

I like your humour and even understand your point :lol: . However, we're not suggesting that you not be able to see Leonard, not at all. We're talking strictly about this particular block of tickets where people who have established relationships 'here' ~ in various ways ~ and have undeniably been in 'Leonard's online/offline world' in a number of ways can be assured a good seat, sit together, and enjoy the show. It's a wonderful gesture made by a fine man and his management.

Back to you for a second, Verite... I guess marriage isn't sharing "community" enough, eh? A bit more goes on off-screen than you might imagine at first blush.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Verite ~

Please don't misinterpret as ill will, the various attempts to describe how this onslaught, as a result of the offer, is causing people to feel and our interpretation of it. What we're really trying to do is enjoy the goodwilled gesture in the manner we have reason to believe it was intended. It was fairly specifically spoken... and even though some other aspects of involvement that count weren't included, it definitely didn't say for all future members of the Files and Forum between now and March 11. The rapport and caring that have developed over the years didn't happen in a day or with a singular incident.

Promotions are certainly done to GET people to join things... get a bank account, a credit card, a store account, or whatever, by awarding a gift. This wasn't intended to be a promotion to get people involved, but rather the reverse, to gift those who already have been; the gift isn't even free tickets, but just the opportunity to purchase theirs early, some better ones that are in a block.

"It does strike me that the proposed method for advanced booking is not going to benefit anyone it was intended to" says it pretty well. This wasn't intended to be simply a matter of starting ticket sales early. At this rate, though, the whole idea could end up cancelled. Not so sure on that, but it certainly comes to mind as a possibility. We have five days to go and at the current, exponential rate, the site could clog up with 9,000 faithful fans trying to sign in for a shot at these very limited, early-release bookings for tickets.

Best wishes to you. I was a long time coming to the computer, too.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
Ewan

Post by Ewan »

I can see both sides of the coin here - obviously a big influx of new members is likely to dilute this offer, but in truth I find myself in a similar position to Verite, being a long-time lurker on this site, who has never registered until now. I just tend to stay quiet on forums, although I have greatly appreciated the news of new records, and of the Book of Longing concert last year in Cardiff.

But of course there are active members to whom the offer is actually aimed, who should really benefit, and I hope it all still works out for everyone who deserves it.

I just also personally hope that I finally get the chance that I've been waiting years for, to see Leonard live. :shock:
bigdee

Post by bigdee »

Hi All,
Just wondering if anyone can tell me if the pre-sale tickets are going to be being sold starting 00.01 AM Euro Time Tuesday morning or is that just when we will be getting the offical info on it?? I wouldn't ask but Monday night at 8PM Eastern Time USA I have tickets to be at an Elton John show in Deleware and don't want to miss the chance to get Cohen tickets. I don't want to miss out and I also don't want to spend the whole night at the Elton show worrying about it if there is no need to. Any little tidbit of info to put my mind at ease so I can enjoy the Elton show would be greatly appreciated!!
Also does anyone know what time 00.01 European Time falls in the USA anyway? If I recall I think USA east coast time plus 5 hours equals Euro Time but I'm not sure. To complicate things more (a friendly reminder to the USA visitors) this Saturday night/Sunday morning we will be putting our clocks ahead 1 hour for daylight savings. Yes my fellow Americans this year is the year they are changing the start of this to March. I know not all parts of the world do this and those that do don't always do it the same time we do, so that may change the time conversion.
By the way, those in other parts of the world planning to view the Rock and Roll Hall show live on the net Monday night should take note of the time change here in the USA and remember to take into account for it when you switch on your computers. Otherwise you may tune in an hour late and miss the first part of the show. :shock:
1993: Philadelphia July 15 2008: Montreal June 23,24,25 2009: NYC Feb 19/ Columbia May 11/ Philadelphia May 12/ Waterbury May 14/ NYC May 16,17/ Boston May 29,30/ Philadelphia Oct 22/ NYC Oct 23/ Cleveland Oct 25 2010: Vegas Dec 10,11 2012: Boston Dec 15,16/ NYC Dec 18,20 2013: NYC Apr 6,7
Verite

Post by Verite »

Hi Lizzy,
I'm sorry, but I beg to differ on the "not going to benefit anyone it was intended to"...I'm assuming that the decision to do this was that of the man in the blue raincoat and his management...but as to their intentions...I'm only guessing, and it wouldn't be the first thing I've lost my touch on, but I'd say the intended "benefit" of this offer is that of a respectful bow and token of thanks and appreciation to the Great Jarkko.

As noted above, I've been visiting the LCFiles since I first came online 11 years ago, and experimented with what would then have been the dreaded AOL's search engine to see what if anything was going on with LC, and lo and behold this wonderful fella in Finland had created a site that not only pulled together current news on Cohen, but was busy gathering all there is to know and all ye need to know...(for a while there it even played an LC song when the page opened up, does anyone know what happened to that? I believe that was back in the late 90's, and when it stopped playing I thought it was my old computer blocking it out).

Anyway, the site proved to be so true to the Intent of the Artist under review, that said Artist himself joined in and offered to the site's creator to share with its visitors some of the many wonders that have come our way through the LCFiles...the drawings, the reproduction of lyrics, and new songs and poems...some still in draft form! (A few of which I have somewhere in my library as I printed them up when they were first posted only to discover that Leonard had changed them months later.)

Soooo, hoping that they can and do pull off this generous offer of early ticket sales through this Forum, the intended benefit will in my humbled in love opinion have been fully honored, namely...thanks for the site, Mr. Arjatsalo.

Sweet dreams to all.

(and best wishes to the ghost of jack elam for my avatar)
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Verite ~

[Just when I thought I was done, but it will be brief.] Yes, I take your point that you're making regarding Jarkko. We're all ~ alongside Leonard ~ incredibly grateful to Jarkko. As you can see, we tend to thank him alongside Leonard. None of this would likely be happening, were it not for Jarkko. It is certainly a result of their good friendship, and the site that Jarkko's and Rauli's hard work has manifested that has us here today wondering so much about these tickets, and who will benefit as to, and in, receiving such a great gift as the privilege to order early and sit in good seats with a group of people known to each other.

With regard to the quote I 'seconded,' in the context it was meant, Jarkko is already set for tickets [once they appear], so those various people remaining are the ones being referred to... and, hopefully, they will benefit. Even so, if only those who were here prior to the confirmed announcement of the tour, were trying to secure the said tickets, the truth is that, even then, everyone wouldn't get one.

Sweet dreams to you, too, Verite.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”