LEONARD'S TOUR BAND

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
jarkko
Site Admin

LEONARD'S TOUR BAND

Post by jarkko »

Leonard gave us the names of the musicians in his new tour band. Singer(s) to be announced later.
I will have more information about the band on The Files tonight.

Roscoe Beck - bass & vocal (Musical Director)
Neil Larsen - keyboard, accordion, brass instruments
Bob Metzger - guitar, steel guitar & vocal
Javier Mas - acous. guitar, oud & misc string instruments
Christine Wu - violin, viola, cello & keyboard
Rafael Gayol - drums & percussion
Dino Soldo - keyboard, saxophone, wind instruments &vocal
Henning

Re: LEONARD'S TOUR BAND

Post by Henning »

Christina Wu ? Are you sure Jarkko ?

http://www.christinawu.net/

--- Her official site is at http://christine-wu.com/ :razz: / Jarkko
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
Henning

Post by Henning »

or is it her:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZoZpUrk ... re=related

I watched her a couple of times now. She is fantastic. The tension is rising.

IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
oblivion

Post by oblivion »

oh, it will be quite exciting to see christina wu in a wedding dress

performing dance me to the end of love

the violine player is gorgeous and should be the right one
frankfurt+munic 1976; nuremberg 1988; lörrach, berlin, frankfurt+london 2008;
new york, cologne, venice, istanbul, prague + barcelona 2009
sligo, berlin, ghent, wiesbaden, strasbourg, marseille, hannover, dortmund, warsaw, las vegas 2010
ghent, helsinki, berlin, dublin, verona, paris...2012
oberhausen, mannheim, bruxelles, lucca, hamburg, odense, amsterdam...2013
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

I made a quick presentation of the band members and posted it at
http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/band2008.html

will change the stuff when we get better photos and
better summaries of the musicians! -- ANy help in this
will be appreciated!

Looks like we have a very exciting combination of
fine musicians here!

Jarkko
Anne

Post by Anne »

This is an incredibly exciting thing to read. They all seem like great musicians. It should be an amazing tour.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Looks like we have a very exciting combination of
fine musicians here!
An understatement of magnificent proportion!

I also love Leonard's selection of the world mixture of people.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
dreamermusic

Post by dreamermusic »

Hi to everybody!
It seems it´s going to be a good band. I was at the Spanish concert "Acoords amb Leonard Cohen" and I can say that Javier Mas is an excellent musician (not because he´s Spanish as me, but just because he is :D ). I´m sure we all will miss Mr. Furgo, Mr. Ostermayer and Mr. Bilezikjian among others but sure the new ones will do their best. We´ll wait to know the female singers. Who bets? Anjani and Julie Christensen? Anjani and Perla Batalla? Perla and Julie? or maybe two new women on stage?
Best regards,
Daniel
-Madrid 1993 (standing up face to face to Leonard, leaning my arms upon the stage (no cams, no security line), my hands touched Cohen's feet!) (talked to Cohen for 20 minutes after concert!!!)
-Lisbon 2009 (1st row!!)
-Madrid 2012 (1st row centred facing Leonard!!)
-FOREVER
Justus

Post by Justus »

Or Perla Batalla
magdasto

Post by magdasto »

WOW!!! I just can't believe the news: what a BAND! It's gonna be a FANTASTIC tour! I can't wait to hear them playing live with Leonard...
Beyond the myths and the masks the soul remains alone...
Paula

Post by Paula »

It feels like it might happen now. Great band
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
kaczor47

Post by kaczor47 »

Fantastic band!
Last edited by kaczor47 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Halifax 12.05.2008, 13.05.2008; Wellington 20.01.2009; Wellington 31.10.2010
bigdee

Post by bigdee »

Looks like this has the makings to easily become his best touring band EVER! Glad to see Roscoe Beck back on bass, he was(is) the best bass player Cohen has worked with. I'm a bass player myself and Roscoe is one of my favorites, I even own a Roscoe Beck model Fender Bass. Of course we all know how good Bob is from the 88 and 93 tours.
All the new players look like they will certainly be able to put a new and improved sound to the songs in a live setting given the range of instruments involved. I always wished Cohen had toured with a cellist in the fold as many of his songs are well suited for a cello part in the arrangements. Now my wish will come true. I can't wait to hear the marriage of the cello with Roscoe's fretless bass lines. Especially on "The Faith" which I think is a shoe in to be put on the setlist given the choice of musicians. I also hope other songs from the "Recent Songs" sessions make the cut. "The Guests", "Gypsy Wife", and "Traitor Song" would be my other top picks to include from that album.
As for the yet to be announced singers, I would have almost bet Anjani would be one of them and have been the keyboard player but with Neil, Christine, and Dino all listed as keyboard players in their resume' I don't think she would have much to do. Given her solo work and also their "Blue Alert" album I think she will have her own band with her and will be the opening act for the tour. Of the others he has worked with I would like to see Jennifer Warnes, Perla, and Julie handle the backing vocals as a team. But I think we'll be seeing new singers this time around which he probably is still trying to find and why we don't know who they are yet. Who ever he picks I'm sure they will be the best choices for the sound he is going for. Can't wait for the debut of the band on March 10 at the R&R Hall induction. Come on March!!
1993: Philadelphia July 15 2008: Montreal June 23,24,25 2009: NYC Feb 19/ Columbia May 11/ Philadelphia May 12/ Waterbury May 14/ NYC May 16,17/ Boston May 29,30/ Philadelphia Oct 22/ NYC Oct 23/ Cleveland Oct 25 2010: Vegas Dec 10,11 2012: Boston Dec 15,16/ NYC Dec 18,20 2013: NYC Apr 6,7
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I was wondering whether or not the band/portions of it would be part of his Hall of Fame performances. In one sense, it seems a given... in another, the practice time seems fairly limited... so, who knows. I'm thinking it may not be full-scale, just an abbreviated group... but will be thrilled to see it be otherwise.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
kokenpere

Post by kokenpere »

Definitely All-Stars

Thank you Leonard! Thank you Jarkko!

Incredible!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

michael

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”