Accommodations

The Edmonton Event - before and after
KimSolez

Accommodations

Post by KimSolez »

The most convenient place to stay will be the Westin Edmonton which is where the registration and hospitality suite is and just across the street from the Winspear Concert Hall where the main events will be. The most exciting place to stay will be the Fairmont Hotel Macdonald where many of the artists will be staying. I will get back to you later about the details of these two options and our meeting-specific prices.

There are two other lower cost options you may want to act on now:

Days Inn Downtown - $99/109 single/double with an open room block (no contract, first come first serve, subject to availability) The hotel has 67 rooms, we can potentially have them all, or none if we procrastinate or somewhere in between.
Days Inn - Edmonton,10041-106 Street, Jasper Avenue & 106th Street, Edmonton, AB, T5J 1G3 CA
http://www.daysinn.com/DaysInn/control/ ... andInfo=DI
contact: Freida Valji number: 780-423-1925 email: daysinn@compusmart.ab.ca

Holiday Inn Express Downtown - $110 single/double for 40 rooms per night.
Holiday Inn Express Edmonton Downtown, 10010-104 St., Edmonton, Alberta T5J 0Z1
http://www.hiexdowntown.com/
contact: Diane Fehr number: 780-701-3315 email: sales@hiexedmonton.com

All the best. - Kim
KimSolez

Re: Accommodations

Post by KimSolez »

Here are the details of the event-specific rates and procedures at the Westin Edmonton, the hotel at which registration and the round-the-clock hospitality suite will be. It is close to the Winspear Concert Hall, our main venue for the larger performances Friday and Saturday night.

If reservations are to be made by individuals, they must identify themselves as booking with “Edmonton 2008 International Leonard Cohen Event” group and the room must be guaranteed for late arrival by either credit card or first nights payment.

Here is the number to call for reservations:

24 HOUR WESTIN TOLLFREE RESERVATIONS: 1-800-WESTIN1 (937-8461)

Please be aware of the reservation cut off date:

CUT-OFF DATE
The “cut-off date” for accepting reservations into room block is June 24, 2008. Reservation requests received after 5:00 p.m. local time at the Hotel on the cut-off date will be accepted at Hotel’s prevailing rate, based on availability. The rooms are likely to go quickly and we strongly advise booking by April 15th.

These guest room rates will also be offered by the hotel 2 days prior and 2 days after the meeting dates, subject to availability of rooms at the time of reservation.
don

Post by don »

Kim, these will be very convenient accommodations for many of us. But I'm concerned that the price of even the cheapest hotels listed here might be prohibitive to our friends who will have to spend a lot on air fare to come to Edmonton.

Is it possible to book a block of very cheap rooms off-site? I'm thinking of the Lister Hall residences at the University of Alberta, for example. While they are across the river from the main events, they might provide an alternative for who might not otherwise be able to afford to come to Edmonton.
Don Cummer
Ottawa, Canada/Dublin, Ireland
KimSolez

Post by KimSolez »

Yes I would be happy to do that, Don. Those rooms would then be from $39 a night. They would have the characteristics of student dormitory housing with all the good and bad things you might associate with that!

http://www.uofaweb.ualberta.ca/conferen ... av01=23453

We are visiting Days Inn to look at their $99 rooms next week so will have more to report on that soon.

All the best. - Kim
dar

Post by dar »

I am also going to be in the category of "budget accommodations" and was happy to see Don suggest the dorms. Are they quite a distance from the venue? Is it fairly easy to get to the Westin from the dorms? Should we book a dorm room at the University asap or wait to hear what you've arranged Kim? Of course I'm still going to check other accommodations via hotels.com and other search engines. But it's good to know the dorms will be a choice for those of us budgeting for the tour!
don

Post by don »

I used to live in those dorms when I was an undergraduate at the University of Alberta. They are certainly not within easy walking distance of the venues -- unless you have time for a wonderful stroll along the river valley and across the magnificent High Level Bridge. I'm not sure about how the public transit operates these days, but the distance is not that far by taxi.

Think of it in terms of Berlin, where many of us took the bus to the events.

The neighbourhoods near the university are very funky and fun -- Whyte Avenue has become quite a social centre. I suspect if there's a critical mass of people who opt for accommodations that give three nights on campus for the price of one night downtown, there may be satellite gatherings south of the river, as well as in the main events in the downtown core.
Don Cummer
KimSolez

Post by KimSolez »

There is the LRT light rail transit which goes almost directly from Lister Hall to the Westin and Winspear, maybe a block's walking each end. and takes about 5 minutes. Plus Leonard has significant history on the University campus and that is where the bus tour will go etc. so all in all not an unsatisfactory place to stay at all! Just thin walls, shared bath etc. the usual dormitory stuff.

All the best. - Kim
Last edited by KimSolez on Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dar

Post by dar »

Thanks for the info. Perhaps I'll have kicked my nicotine addiction by then and will have no problems. Let's hope so. (And don't forget LC had the habit for years. I don't think he quit until he was in his 60's? - Just trying to put off the lectures from all you healthy people!) ha
don

Post by don »

Kim, if it turns out that a lot of us are willing to renew our neurotic affiliations by returning to university dorms, is there any possibility of holding some events at the Student Union Building? I recall that there was quite a good theatre there. Also a good theatre with the Fine Arts Faculty. It's been many years since I was on campus, but it strikes me that there are some great venues.
d.
Don Cummer
KimSolez

Post by KimSolez »

Yes we are already planning to use that Students' Union Building theatre, now called the Myer Horowitz Theatre, for some events. It is where we had our very successful Leonard Cohen NIght(s) this year. You can see images at:

http://homepage.mac.com/evocative1/LCN2 ... um237.html

All the best. - Kim
don

Post by don »

That's very good news, Kim. It might entice more people to come to the Event if they know there is very cheap accommodation within a block or two of this venue.

I'm very tempted to stay among the artists at the Macdonald hotel, with its terrific view of the valley of the North Saskatchewan. The Westin also tempts me with its all-night venue for passing the guitar and sharing songs. But if I can stay a week at the university residences for the same price as a couple of nights at the downtown hotels -- and still be within walking distance or an easy commute of all the events -- I may opt for more spartan quarters, and washroom facilities that I share with fellow Cohenistas from around the world.
d.
Don Cummer
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I'm with you on that, Don :D . I've been watching this thread and noting the prices :shock: . At such a price 8) , the dorms [particularly with something already slated to be held in that locale] seem more than serviceable to me... and, hopefully, would be a motivator for more from afar to attend.

If that's not enough, I can also attest to your ability to generate a high-energy, good-willed level of fun in group singalongs... including when you and your co-commuters have the good fortune of becoming lost 8) . With Don and guitar, a missed connection can result in an even better connection of another kind 8) .

~ Lizzy
Last edited by lizzytysh on Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
KimSolez

Post by KimSolez »

Yes I have booked 40 rooms at Lister Hall, will have more details for all of you soon on this.

All the best. - Kim
Gypsy_Wife

Post by Gypsy_Wife »

This sounds great, I like Dar, was looking for something more budget minded. Not really knowing the layout of Edmonton I was checking online maps. Then I was looking at Hotels.com and hostels. I have stayed in the dorms the two times we had that option and found them to be comfortable, while not 4 diamonds in the AAA guide.
Here's to the few
who forgive what you do
and the fewer who don't even care
dar

Post by dar »

Good to see you Val. And happy to see that Kim is looking out for we "little people" with some reasonable accommodations. ha Although I do plan on taking a shift at the hospitality suite at the Westin...stop by and we'll raid the minibar!

Return to “The Leonard Cohen Event in Edmonton 2008”