Re: Accommodations

Post by KimSolez »

Here is the weblink for booking rooms at the Westin directly:

http://www.starwoodmeeting.com/StarGrou ... &key=1969B

All the best. - Kim
Pawel Gorny

Post by Pawel Gorny »

I have found something called "The Bed & Breakfast Association of Greater Edmonton".

More informations: http://leonardcohenevent.info
lklassen

Post by lklassen »

There are also a couple of hostels in both the downtown and Whyte Ave areas. I personally prefer Hi Hostel (along Whyte Ave, near the university, and about a 10 minute bus ride from the main venues) http://www.hihostels.com/dba/hostel011010.en.htm But there is also a new hostel about 6 blocks from the Westin called Go! Backpackers Hostel (http://www.gohostels.ca/)

Go! is about $25/night and Hi (which is a much nicer, more european style hostel) is $22 for a bed or as much as $60 for a single room. (I wish it were so cheap in Banff, where I live - hostels are about $40/night here).
---

"Because I say so, that's why." -anon.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

WoW. Thanks for this excellent information, LKlassen! Is your avatar a parrot's eye?

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
lklassen

Post by lklassen »

lizzy - it is a painting of a green dragon :) I was on a green dragon thing that day... *shrugs*
---

lklassen

Post by lklassen »

To those considering staying at the university:
The university campus is a 5minute LRT ride or an hour's walk from the hospitality suite. However (as I just learned this week) it is only a $7.50CAD taxi ride! The university is also, as Kim stated, not an ideal place to hang out - so come spend the night partying with me at the Westin instead!

All the venues we have planned (and hotels suggested) will be within an absolute MAXIMUM hour's walk or $12 cab ride of the Westin... So no need to try stumbling back to your hotel at 4am because you can't afford a cab ride. We will also make sure people carpool when taking taxis --- it's not just cheaper, it's also more environmentally sound!
---

lklassen

Post by lklassen »

[lizzy] hahaa, thanks but I am only a photographer - this is a pilfered image. I wish I could paint that well!
---

linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Actually, Lizzy, I forgot to pluck my eyebrows before getting my av done. 8)
~ The smell of perfume in the air, bits of beauty everywhere ~ Leonard Cohen.
Bob Parkins

Post by Bob Parkins »

Anyone know if Lister Hall at University of Alberta has wireless Internet -- or even Internet cable ports? What about other locations?
---

Parky

"In hindsight, the vandals regret having taken the handles."
lklassen

Post by lklassen »

There are two locations close to the Westin with internet access - free 1 hour access at the library, and an internet cafe about 4 blocks away. There is wireless internet available at all the second cup locations downtown - there is one a block from the westin and another about two blocks away.
---

don

Post by don »

For those of us planning to stay for an extended time (Wednesday to Monday in my case) internet access is key. And the local i-cafe is not going to cut it -- I think Parky has a business he needs to run while we're at the event, as do I. Is it possible for someone in Edmonton to give us the low-down on internet availability at the various hotels?
d.
Don Cummer
Ottawa, Canada/Dublin, Ireland
KimSolez

Post by KimSolez »

All the hotels have wireless Internet, that is pretty standard these days. I just called to confirm that at the Westin and Holiday Inn Express but I am sure it is true at the others as well. Most have both wired and wireless options.

Best regards. - Kim
Bob Parkins

Post by Bob Parkins »

What about Lister specifically?
---

Parky

"In hindsight, the vandals regret having taken the handles."
don

Post by don »

Thanks, Kim. Has anyone been able to confirm whether there's internet access in the Lister Hall rooms?
d.
Don Cummer
Ottawa, Canada/Dublin, Ireland
KimSolez

Post by KimSolez »

To some extent you get what you pay for. The Lister Hall rooms are the cheapest place to stay, save for the hostels. The situation with Internet access there is as follows:

"Although we cannot provide high speed internet access in these rooms, all our guests have access to our computer rooms (there is a minimal per hour charge for access)."

So this is not as convenient as having Internet in your room, but still you will have access and the computers are usually of good quality and there are good support services. I use the University computer system all the time around the clock and their support people are phenomenal.

Hope this helps.

All the best. - Kim

Return to “The Leonard Cohen Event in Edmonton 2008”