Edmonton International Leonard Cohen Event 2008

The Edmonton Event - before and after
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Re: Edmonton International Leonard Cohen Event 2008

Post by Byron »

Perhaps special rooms with baths full of mud? People need not be naked. Simply turn up and jump in the bath. If enough people jump in, in several baths in several rooms, the floor will collapse and then we could have a foyer with several baths emptying mud around lots of people who could deny that they were ever near any mud baths and just happened to be passing at the time, looking for Kriss Whatsisname?

On the other hand.............I've got four fingers and a fumm.

These new tablets are terrific!!!!!
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
jke244

Post by jke244 »

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I was hoping to learn more about this event. I've found some information online about the International Leonard Cohen Event but I haven't really been able to find out exactly what it is. Will Leonard be performing at the event? Any information about the event would be greatly appreciated, I'm very curious. Thanks!!
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Kim Solez will announce more details in the very near future. The best source for information will be
http://www.leonardcohenevent.info
To get some idea what its is about, check the previous Events, like the Berlin one in 2006, at
http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/berlin-index.html
These Events are fan gatherings, and Leonard has not been present. However, his music is performed
by both amateur and professional artists. Join us next year - you will love it!
lazariuk

Post by lazariuk »

Is the following worth considering?

Flights to Edmonton are not cheap and the drive to there is not so interesting but I have a picture in my mind of a possibility that I thought I would share.

A North American Train Pass can be aquired for $999.00 which is good for 30 days of unlimited train travel in both Canada and the US. Edmonton being one of the stops and the train station being near the venue.

So it led to this picture in my mind of a multitude of people using the train to get to the gathering, different branches of the trunk lines meeting at specific locations with the LC Gathering bunch of people getting larger and larger as we get close to Edmonton. People with their smiles , songs and musical intruments taking over the train. Manna on the banjo, Joe on the guitar and the train whistle humming along as we wind our way over hills and through valleys picking up more friends along the way.

Oh what a sweet picture.
Info on train passes can be found at:
http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentSe ... 8&ssid=295

Hotels and motels are fine but what people may also be interested in is couch surfing both there and along the way. i am a little familiar with the organization and with enough notice I think that many can be accomodated this way with some advantages.

Info on that can be found at:
http://www.couchsurfing.com/
Everything being said to you is true; Imagine of what it is true.
Bob Parkins

Post by Bob Parkins »

Yes!!!!!

Jack, you've done it again. This would be way cool, as the kidz might say -- our own Festival Express, 38 years after the original. Well done man..
---

Parky

"In hindsight, the vandals regret having taken the handles."
lazariuk

Post by lazariuk »

Bob Parkins wrote:Yes!!!!!

Jack, you've done it again. This would be way cool, as the kidz might say -- our own Festival Express, 38 years after the original. Well done man..
For those who may not know
The Trans Continental Pop Festival, better known as Festival Express, was a 1970 tour by train across Canada by some of the world's biggest rock bands, including The Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin, and The Band.
Musician Kenny Gradney, who performed with Delaney and Bonnie, said "It was better than Woodstock, as great as Woodstock was."

A movie was made of it. The following is from a review
“Festival Express is musical nirvana! In fact, if you're into Janis Joplin, Jerry Garcia or The Band stop reading now and run to see this film. If it's not screening in your area Fly to it, Drive to it. Get to this film because Festival Express is by far the most incredible, awe-inspiring - surreal - footage to be "discovered" in decades – Blunt Review.
Everything being said to you is true; Imagine of what it is true.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Jack ~

Is it available on video or dvd?

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron »

lizzytysh wrote:Jack ~

~ Lizzy
It'll be available ON-Line 8)
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Oh, thanks Byron. It sounds very kewl.

[By the way, about 1/2 hour ago, I was telling someone all about the Lever Brothers's housing development built for their workers. He was impressed, too, and admitted that the first thing he imagined was tract housing that all looked the same.]

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
Bob Parkins

Post by Bob Parkins »

And yes, BTW -- Festival Express is avbl on DVD, with about an hour's worth of extra tunes and such beyond what played in theatres. Mind you, it's still best to see it on a really big screen from a really close seat, in a really relaxed frame of mind if'n ya catch my drift.
---

Parky

"In hindsight, the vandals regret having taken the handles."
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Mind you, it's still best to see it on a really big screen from a really close seat, in a really relaxed frame of mind if'n ya catch my drift.
... and now we can but punt.

Thanks for the dvd info, though 8) .

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
Byron

Post by Byron »

Byron wrote:
lizzytysh wrote:Jack ~

~ Lizzy
It'll be available ON-Line 8)

It'll be available ON-LINE(S)!!!!!

Honestly, when one has to draw the pictures and give a narrative outline as well, one begins to wonder if one is wasting one's valuable time allotted within one's mortal coil.
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl »

Is leonard cohen going to be there?
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
evelyn

Post by evelyn »

Jack,
That's a great idea!
I was thinking of flying to Vancouver and taking the train over the Rockies to Edmonton but I wouldn't mind startin from the East and traveling with an ever expanding group.
I know about Festival Express but never saw it - I plan to soon.
evelyn
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

friscogrl: Edmonton will be another big gathering of Leonard's fans, and Leonard is not going to be there.

Return to “The Leonard Cohen Event in Edmonton 2008”