?????

The Edmonton Event - before and after
Partisan

?????

Post by Partisan »

http://www.beautifullosers.org/viewtopi ... p=676#p676
There seems to be almost no discussion going on here, so I thought I'd give you a link.

p.
st theresa

Re: ?????

Post by st theresa »

I followed this link and found some very negative comments about Edmonton and the likelihood of success for the Edmonton event. Sadly, the rudest comments on Edmonton were by a fellow Canadian. I am originally from Winnipeg, and lived in the Maritimes for several years. The only city I would not like to live in of all the places I have visited happens to be Toronto. I have visited quite a few places, and when my husband was offered a job in Edmonton I was far from thrilled, imagining that it would be like another Alberta town that I had left some years earlier for the Maritimes. However, upon arriving in Edmonton in 1987, I must say that I was very pleasantly surprised. Granted, I am fortunate enough to live in an older area, well-treed with a ravine next door. But what surprised and pleased me was the availability and accessibility of year round events, such as the Birkie (sadly cancelled this year, due to extreme weather) -a 55 km cross country ski race that draws people from around the world on an annual basis, the festivals including, The Fringe, the Folk fest, Heritage days, theater year round, local musicians who rank among Canada's most talented, a school system that is rated one of the best in the world, a system of walking and biking trails that provides immediate escape from city sounds and in which I have seen deer, foxes, and other assorted wildlife. The last few years have put a bit of pressure on our infrastructure due to a booming economy and immigration from provinces with fewer jobs, I'll admit, but I am still not afraid to walk through my neighbourhood and enjoy city sky scapes or ravine paths during most times of day or night. I am not a shopping fan but for those who indulge, Edmonton has the mall . I have attended the Cohen night events held in Edmonton for the past two years and thoroughly enjoyed them. It is unlikely that other events had a Cohen song translated into Cree and sung by an award winning performer. Finally, the less than polite ad hominem comments about Edmonton's organizer, Dr. Kim., struck me as well frankly, just ignorant. Sadly, we Canadian Cohen fans had to wait until someone with an unusual mind, and a fearless outlook, moved to (Yes Edmonton) and took up Leonard's cause in a most courageous manner to celebrate, and honour one of our greatest Canadians. I did not see anyone else offering to host the 2008 venue anywhere, nor willing to put the amount of effort I have seen Dr. Kim expend. For those who have no desire or intention to visit Edmonton, it is your loss. For those who do, welcome and enjoy all that is offered here.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

I have had the pleasure to follow the development of Kim's Edmonton plans, and there is no doubt that this will be the biggest of our Events so far, and very professionally organized, too, thanks to the competent team Kim has put together. Contrary to the earlier Events, this time also lots of locals will attend the concerts.

I am receiving emails from our active members telling that they are waiting for Leonard's tour schedule before they want to register to Edmonton. This is very natural. On the other hand, Leonard's tour will give massive promotion not only to his songs and books, but also to the Edmonton Event!

The Edmonton team has signed a well-known headliner to the Event. The artist has set a date when his/her name can be announced. That's why Kim has had to wait a bit before the Event program is made public. The day is in the very near future.

This will be an exciting summer!

Jarkko
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Very eloquent and compelling response, St. Theresa. Good on you 8) .

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Partisan

Post by Partisan »

The tour was not announced until January 13th. Before that it was just rumour, like every other year there was going to be a tour. The January before every other event from Hydra2002 on had almost 200 signed up. I repeat, there seems to be something not quite right. I was genuinely concerned about the lack of signed up attendees, especially the Europeans who have been the backbone of every event. Kim seems remarkably calm about the whole thing and his comments to me in the chatroom lead me to one conclusion. However, even that might not be enough at this stage. There just does not seem to be much in the way of interest/excitement on the Forum. Aside from Kim's chatroom announcement, this is the only thread started this year.

p.
Paula

Post by Paula »

Well Partisan - it is the distance that is stopping me. I am a very new flyer and I could not go on a plane for that length of time yet.

How are you enjoying living over the pond?
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
lklassen

Post by lklassen »

I was terrified to fly to Berlin in 2006, and it definitely looks like a long time on paper (I arrived in Berlin precisely 24hrs after leaving Edmonton, according to the time). But what I forgot was the time shift! I had never taken a flight over 4 hours before and was worried about how long it looked on paper, but it was actually only about 8 hours trans-atlantic... More like a long bus or train trip than anything else. Totally non-frightening after all.

I think a lot of us are intimidated by trans atlantic flights, but honestly it's not anywhere near as bad as it seems. Unless you're hungover... I learned that lesson. :P
---

"Because I say so, that's why." -anon.
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

St. Theresa,

I understand well your love of the Canadian North and the wilds so many city people see only on the roadside or in 'zoos' - speaking of which - I wouldn't doubt that I was the Canadian with disparaging comments to make on Edmonton. The last time I was in Edmonton was .... about the time Leonard was, or shortly thereafter. My punishment, it seems, is that I might be there this year. I know Edmonton has grown, and the natural beauty is wonderful - esp. with Northern Lights. We all have our preferred cities for our own preferred reasons. Canada is massive and diverse. Join the throng, or hide from the RCMP - it's all there - we can all do both.

If not for a personal affair, I'd just as soon stay home. That's not disparaging, that's a preference. As is those who live in Toronto. Canada has a lot to offer to those who are used to this gigantic country of all terrain. You can certainly understand that there will be thems that do and thems that don't. Funny thing. I'd be going for personal reasons and would, of course, take in the Cohen Event in. But, surely, St. Theresa, you can forgive all for the varying opinions. And I don't mean the 'people', we're going thru a big freeze in Vancouver, and I personally think that's Edmonton's job. ;) You guys have done a fine job in the past. A big thanks there.

Linda.
~ The smell of perfume in the air, bits of beauty everywhere ~ Leonard Cohen.
st theresa

Post by st theresa »

Hi Linda
:cry: I am sorry I will not be here to greet you as I am going to be in Portugal the week of the event here in Edmonton. My son, however, has decided to take me up on my offer of tickets for his Grade 12 grad present.
That together with his other gift ( a camera) will provide me with my connection to the event. Oh and of course wearing my Edmonton event button ( they just arrived today) while attending the concert in Lisbon. :lol:
I know I know--I came down rather hard on what I perceived as Edmonton bashing. For a non-native Edmontonian, I have come to love this place. And I know how hard Kim and the board have worked--It looks like a fantastic lineup. I have two brothers and one brother in law in Vancouver. I love to visit, and would have flown there with no qualms, had Leonard chosen it as a site for one of his concerts. I love the sea wall, the flowers, all things having to do with the West Coast of Canada. I can certainly forgive you for not choosing Edmonton as a vacation spot if you live in Vancouver. But if you want to attend a great folk fest, a wonderful fringe theater event, or an awesome Leonard Cohen Event, this is the place to be in the summer.
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Thank you, St. Theresa - you live up to your name quite nicely :D - I've lived in 'rural, rural' parts of Canada, and it's both tremendously beautiful, and 'Culture Shock' for a city dweller, at the same time. I know that Edmonton has a lot more to offer than the 'rural, rural' part, and there is likely far more going on in the arts dept. than there was when I was there, a young girl (or thereabouts). That's the great thing about Canada, we have it all.

Have a good time in Lisbon! By coincidence, a friend from another forum is from Lisbon, and he will be at the Lisbon show. You might notice him...he'll be the one with the bells on. ;)

A great and wonderful summer to all,

Linda.
st theresa

Post by st theresa »

Hi Linda
I wish you could see Edmonton in May--it is like time lapse photography to watch spring literally spring upon us here. I have lived further south, but this far north, when spring arrives it is like a celebration over a very short, (three weeK) period. I think about it all year long. There is something to be said for a bit of deprivation, I guess.

I will be the one in Portugal with the International Leonard Cohen Night Edmonton 2008 button on my blouse. They just arrived this week and the art is fantastic. Heh heh.

The arts community in Edmonton surprised me when I arrived here--I live next door to famous poets and award winning authors. The singers and song writers in our community never cease to amaze me. I recently attended a show with Harry Manx and Yeshe. I am looking forward to Kd's concert in June. I know these artists live elsewhere, but the fact that we can attract them to Edmonton, speaks volumes--now if Leonard would come here, just one more time, my delight would be complete. I work with young people and there is a group in Edmonton that was founded by an artist, Wallis Kendall, who reaches out to street youth, and involves them in the arts in various ways. They have come a long way and this year are hosting a fashion show, (which I attended last year), they have put on plays , art shows and more. Wallis is really like the Mother teresa of Edmonton street youth, in my opinion. But it is the art scene to which these young people are attracted, and which provides the medium, through which they are often able to find their way. The name of this group is i-human.
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

First, 'jealous on the shirt' :mrgreen: But, good on you.

It's a funny thing. When I think of old school pals and how I might react if I suddenly ran into them, I envision them as being the age they were when I knew them last (even though I know different :roll: ) - and my impressions of Edmonton are along the same lines. Even Vancouver is barely recognizable after a 15 year absence, and it's my home city.

My cousin is from Thunder Bay but is returning to Edmonton for a visit after having lived there a number of years, and her partner is from there. Both are very artsy and likely know some of the same people you do as my cousin, at least, was very much into the arts community. But, maybe she's been gone too long. I don't know if anyone told you, but the years seem to fly once we reach some arbitrary year. :D - I have so many travel opportunities this summer and spring, it's being tied down by $ that's making things complicated. I know there's always a way around it, but which way??? That's the kind of thinking that makes couch potatoes, so I guess I should just pick a way and go there. Edmonton is on the list, but I'm not sure when. And yes, my cousin is a singer/songwriter and she wrote a song about Edmonton that was on some Canada Council funded recording. Or maybe Provincially funded, not sure, and it was about the turning of the seasons. Anyway, the point is, I guess I'm selling Edmonton short without 'really' knowing Edmonton. In my head it remains the Edmonton of my earlier years, and I can't imagine how it might be now - flatter??? :lol: No, I understand what you're saying. In Vancouver, the prediction for the entire year is rain. But I have to tell you, all that rain sure produces some nice flora. Much of it year-round.

I'll keep my ears open re: i-human - and who knows? The way I go may lead me straight to a little club where they might be playing - one just never knows - until they get there. Wear that shirt with pride! I don't need to tell you, as I'm pretty sure you know.

Take care,
Linda.
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

I had to come back and recheck your post re i-human, as I at first thought i-human was a group as in musical group - but I guess they're the 'group' that draws kids into the arts. That sounds like it might be closer to what you might be involved in. I just wanted to get that fact down straight as my cousin and her partner will be spending some time there, and I know they'll want to connect with 'someone' or 'something'. I'll make mention of it to her if I don't wind up going myself, as that is really her niche. Tks for the info, and don't lose that button - I always get a bit of a kick out of seeing Leonard's name connected with 'Canada' - and for you, Edmonton is a plus. It's strange, as I don't really put a lot of sentimental value on 'items' - I can blow perfectly good money on something useless, but all my Cohen collectibles are very special to me. Myself, if I were to travel that far,I would take The Future insert and have the design transferred onto a T-shirt. It's a nice clean design - very wearable.

Happy trails.

Return to “The Leonard Cohen Event in Edmonton 2008”