H.M. in Book of Longing?

Everything about Leonard's 2006 book of poetry and Anjani's album
jim

Post by jim »

thanks for posting these beautiful poems tom. i look forward to getting my hands on more of moscovitch's work. it's hard to believe he isn't better known.
tomsakic

Re: H.M. in Book of Longing?

Post by tomsakic »

Small tribute page to Henry Moscovitch is now opened @
http://www.leonardcohencroatia.com/book ... /index.htm
jim

Post by jim »

hi tom,

how did you get a hold of new poems? i've been looking through the internet booksellers and no one seems to have it.

jim
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Few copies were offered thru abebooks.com, but I bought one, and another went to a visitor of our site who also asked how to get it. I see there's no copies offered anymore. Anyhow, I finally have the scanner and I promised to scan it for somebody here, so I could send you pdf also, when I do it, if that's OK instead of the actual book.
jim

Post by jim »

that would be great, tom. Thanks! when you do it, please send to rushton.jim@gmail.com

btw, here's a poem i wrote about my anticipation to read moscovitch

Maybe you’ll get your hands
on the poems of Henry Moscovitch,
and maybe they’ll force you
to change your life.

I went into the lobby
of the Waverly Inn
to see if they knew
about Milton Acorn.

The guy at the counter had never heard of him.
“He spent the last years of his life here.”
“We’ve got a few elderly people
on the second floor.”

I’ve been to Lorca’s room in Granada
and Hemmingway’s in Havana
but I’m still looking
for the address-less abode of the poets.
jim

Post by jim »

dear tom,

do you think you will get around to scanning new poems soon?
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Thanks for reminding me - I am off work this week so I'll catch the time finally (along with pile of other stuff waiting to be scanned :)

Tom
jim

Post by jim »

hi Tom,

one more reminder. when you get a chance please scan HM's book.

all the best,

Jim
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

1/3 done. The problem is the file is getting to big (more than 10 GB). Trying to find the new way to make it smaller.
jim

Post by jim »

that is big. thanks for your time. where do you live again? maybe i will just fly there and find a photocopier. happy chinese new year!
margaret

Post by margaret »

Tom,
I used http://www.yousendit.com a few times to condense some audio discs, which are then emailed through yousendit. The person receiving the mail can then enlarge the file to normal size. Worth a look?
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Yes, but how to condense PDF scan? I am doing something wrong, as some PDFs I got (from designer; some magazine I am editing) is few MBs while my PDFs are more than 2 GB.... I am just a beginner with scanning and everything...
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

An email from Henry Moscovitch's Website visitor reminded me on this undone promise. In between, it happened that I do not own the scanner anymore (although I plan to buy a new one these days), and also, that 1/3 PDF of the book burned (probably) along with all other data when my laptop was struck by a electricity in June 2008 :lol: [Yeah, it's funny *now*, but wasn't funny to me *then*...]

If somebody is still interested and has a scanner, maybe I can do a xerox copy (that's done in a day) and send it through usual mail, and then that person can scan the xerox copy; I could upload it to my server, or we can share it through Rapidshare or something.

Tom

ps. The best way to get the book is to follow AbeBooks.com
There's again one copy right now, http://www.abebooks.com - 16.22 US dollars, from a bookstore in Oakville. Another copy for 54 dollars, bookshop in Montreal (to expensive, I'd say).
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Also, Simon from Montreal was doing some scans for me there at McGill Library, among them Moscovitch's signature and Serpent Ink (his first book) cover for the website.
Alas, I can't recall that Simon sent me the scan of whole book (Serpent Ink), I recall that he offered New Poems but I declined as I had the original book. I didn't hear from him recently, but maybe we could ask him for the first book also...
tomsakic

"Lost Poem" by Henry Moscovitch

Post by tomsakic »

This is the final page of an early version of DEATH OF A LADIES' MAN [Not "lady's"!], as published in Exile, a literary quarterly, Volume 5, Number 1 & 2, 1977. Editor and publisher: Barry Callaghan.

[The prose piece above is the continuation of "I saw Roshi this morning" from the previous page.]

All previous interpretation of this poem were that this is re-writing of the famous MARITA / PLEASE FIND ME / I AM ALMOST 30 (from Selected Poems), the game with two voices (as the book itself is the game with many voices and narrator, most of them ridiculing the "poet", "Leonard Cohen"). Now, the "reality" is that it's another poet (Henry Moscovitch) who is "almost 90" and he still sees Leonard hobbling with his love. Alas, looking at this world tour at 75 years of age, he was so right.
Attachments
Last poem in early version of Death of a Lady's Man, here credited to Henry Moscovitch [mispeled as Moskowitz]
Last poem in early version of Death of a Lady's Man, here credited to Henry Moscovitch [mispeled as Moskowitz]
Final Examination (Early).jpg (314.82 KiB) Viewed 10931 times

Return to “Book of Longing”