Canada Press article - Humour. playfulness abound

Everything about Leonard's 2006 book of poetry and Anjani's album
Anne

Canada Press article - Humour. playfulness abound

Post by Anne »

http://www.canada.com/topics/entertainm ... 5c&k=48331

Cassandra Szklarski, Canadian Press
Published: Tuesday, May 16, 2006

TORONTO (CP) - Leonard Cohen knows the end is near. And when it comes, it won't be pretty. "Most third acts are pretty grisly - for everybody," the 71-year-old Cohen announces, seated at the head of a conference table in his publisher's office. "They involve old age, sickness and death. You preside over the disintegration of your own career and your own body and your own life, and your friends go. "I'm just on the outer edge of the third act - assuming that they'll give me a few more years - so it hasn't really started to collapse yet, but one knows that it is going to, as it does for everybody." Yes, we've caught Cohen in an upbeat mood. But, despite the dour comments, he's got a glint in his eye. He's happy and productive and his financial troubles are behind him. Cohen says his emergence from potentially crippling money woes, in which his longtime manager allegedly bilked more than $5 million from his retirement savings, have left him nourished and refreshed. "You can go either way as you get older, you can get heavy and bitter and ponderous or you can get sort of playful," a relaxed Cohen says in his trademark velvet tone. "I have no complaints." Remarkable, considering that he expects to recoup none of the $9 million awarded earlier this year in a lawsuit against Kelley Lynch, his one-time lover and manager for nearly 17 years. He was reportedly left with about $150,000 to retire with. With the legal battle behind him, Cohen is turning his attention to a slew of new projects, including the breezy collection of poems and illustrations, Book of Longing. It was more than 20 years in the making, and cobbled together from scratchings etched in Montreal, Mumbai and at Los Angeles's Zen Center, where he was ordained as a Zen monk called Jikan. Cohen says the work shifted through various incarnations, including a surrealistic turn that for a time bore the name the Book of Blue Coffee. With more than two decades separating this volume from the last, one might be tempted to call his 12th publication the Book of Prolonging, Cohen admits. "I never felt there was any urgency to publish," he says. "I always scratch away and fortunately, these projects came to completion at a time when it was very helpful because I was able to recover, slightly, from a financial level . . . These things all happen at a really good time for me so that my fortunes are not exactly restored but things are very, very good." Aside from the book, Cohen is promoting a jazz CD by his paramour Anjani Thomas. He produced the record Blue Alert and co-wrote the songs. And then there's the documentary movie set to be released in June. Leonard Cohen: I'm Your Man, features interviews and concert footage. Currently, he's chipping away at a new CD and says he expects to tour upon its release. There's no slowing down into that final act, Cohen says. "It's a rigorous life, but it's a good life."
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Thanks, Anne. Nice insights from Leonard. It's up on http://www.bookoflonging.com.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Yes, thank you, Anne.

I wonder if/when they will cease using the word "allegedly" regarding Kelley's illegal activities with Leonard's funds. I keep seeing it... and with the course of legal events, it can now be dropped, even for the most conservative of thinkers and writers.

The word Blue plays rather prominently in Leonard's and Anjani's world. Book of Blue Coffee has interesting connotations, but having read what I have, I feel it's more appropriately titled now. Someone once accounted the comment "Book of Prolonging" to Adam, but I noticed another place that it was later accounted to "friends," and now seemingly to Leonard himself... or even to Leonard's acknowledgement of the writer's own comment. Interesting how these comments get passed around :wink: .

A very poignant and concise synopsis that Leonard has given of one's life at his age, approaching that "final act." Reality-based in terms of its limitations, losses, and conclusion, yet consistently upbeat for fully engaging in and enjoying what remains. I hope I will maintain that attitude, as well, in not that many years from now.

This was very satisfying reading.

~ Lizzy
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

I heard Adam talk about this joke on Radio-Canada. That they are joking with Leonard Cohen. Probably that friends and family did and many people told the same story. It is like for this one (more or less) "If I knew where the good songs stand (or are?) I would go there more often" - He told it on TV when he was receiving this prize, and I read he said it in interview too. Recycling is my moto. So. 8)

Yep! I think too : Book of Blue Coffee is a more beautiful title than Book of Longing, but Book of Longing is more suitable to the reality. Hum....

"his trademark velvet tone." Encore!
Simon

Post by Simon »

better than coffee
is blue coffee
which you drink
in your last bath
or sometimes waiting
for your shoes
to be dismantled

From BoL / page 11
(Sorry for the spoiler)

So it seem LC is in his blue period, like painters... Blue dominates on the cover of BoL.

Didn't we find out here earlier that Blue Alert is a caffeine pill?
Cohen is the koan
Why else would I still be stuck here
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

Blue period, I like this one.

Lately I noticed that I find very attractive men who are wearing black clothes all over. Black shirt or pull-over and black trousers. No matter how old they are, what shape they have. Maybe I am in my black period 8) But seriously I wondered how fact that he was wearing mostly dark clothes had to do with his reputation of being sexy.

Look at this link : http://www.the-java-cafe.com/Jamaican-B ... offee.html

It seems Cohenesque to me. What do you think?
Simon

Post by Simon »

Tchocolatl wrote:Maybe I am in my black period
Well, he did Miami Vice, maybe he'd do Men In Black for you.
Cohen is the koan
Simon

Post by Simon »

Tchocolatl wrote:Look at this link : http://www.the-java-cafe.com/Jamaican-B ... offee.html

It seems Cohenesque to me. What do you think?
Yes, Cohenesque indeed. I have always associated Cohen with coffee.

I don't recall trying the Blue Mountain. I usually stick to fare trade mexican bio. Les Deux Marie, on Saint-Denis, is my coffeine pusher. They are quite good with this dope, they'll probably have the Blue Mountain. I'll give it a try for sure.

BtW, Les Deux Marie carries Dolfin chocolats too. You're into that kind of dope I assume. Poivre rose (pink peppercorn) is quite unique.

Jamaica, in free association, always reminds me of that very funny episode of Fishing with John, where a very grumbling Tom Waits is the guest star going for snapper with John Lurie. LC should have been on that show...
Cohen is the koan
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

Les deux Marie! ça fait une éternité…

Post by Guest »

“Eternity is really long, especially near the end”
Woody Allen
Simon

Post by Simon »

I posted the above. Had not realised the system had logged me out.
Cohen is the koan
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

Certes, il est beau de rêver à l'éternité. Mais il suffit à l'honnête homme d'avoir passé, en faisant son oeuvre.

Emile Zola

Return to “Book of Longing”