info needed about a new edition of Book of Longing

Everything about Leonard's 2006 book of poetry and Anjani's album
jarkko
Site Admin

info needed about a new edition of Book of Longing

Post by jarkko »

One of my contributors to The LC Files, Roman Gavrilin, sent me a link to this photo (it has been posted at Flickr), This seems to be a previously unknown edition of Book of Longing. The photo has come from a person in Taiwan, but to me the letters look more Korean than Chinese. Is anyone here able to confirm the language (and other details would be appreciated, too). We need to add this edition to the Gallery of Books at http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/boflg.html!
bol2.jpg
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
bridger15

Re: info needed about a new edition of Book of Longing

Post by bridger15 »

I recognized the photo by Lorca Cohen as the same photo used on the poster advertising the opera, "Book of Longing".
http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/glass.html

Rather than a book cover, perhaps this is a CD or a DVD cover of the opera or a publication about the opera?

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

I had edited the original photo from Flickr a bit - the original at http://www.flickr.com/photos/shihhsingju/3366321757/ suggests that it is a book rather than a CD. Indeed strange that PG is on the (book) cover!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Will be much more strange to find a Glass' BoL without any mention of him on the cover...
Meanwhile, it's a possible advertising trick - to show 2 famous men instead of one.
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

I copied the description to Google Translate and it detected Chinese but the translation makes no sense!

Only / miss.
To be ˙ ˙ a ˙ ˙ at ˙ in this
As ˙ a ˙ ˙ a ˙ really good content ˙ ˙ no ˙ ˙'s easy to be ˙ ˙ ˙ community-based

I dare not act rashly.

So often in the arts message scarce _ enough to eat the state!
Only / miss.

But how to do really hungry?
See _ books _ bar!

And look forward to _ April. A person's travel .....。
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

musicmania wrote:I copied the description to Google Translate and it detected Chinese but the translation makes no sense!
Ah, you are not alone! ;-) But this doesn't make sense to me. Not from Glass' selection, as far as I can remember.

But the following - well - in English:
this should be a good read/

indeed, I love it so much.
So, this is a BOOK. Let's wait for more information, I wrote to the uploader.
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Here is a similar cover with a lot more info added by the uploader
BOL LC PG cover.JPG
Chinese - detected to English translation

"Beautiful losers" by the most sincere and moving picture book of poetry,
Extreme music giants Philip. Glass compose this book six years time,
The bilingual book, music lyrics the same name, the original image!

"The desire of the book" Emotional across borders. These poems are Liou Na ‧ Peter Cohen in Southern California to the mountain meditation center in Los Angeles, Montreal, writing in Mumbai, a collection of poems from his last publication has more than twenty years. This brilliant and moving collection of poetry while the poet naughty provocative paintings, these works, and speculative meditation, without beginning or end but faintly humorous poems reveal the dark side by side.

Extreme music giants Philip. Glass (Philip Glass), and "the Byron of rock ', Canadian poet, singer Liou Na. Cohen (Leonard Cohen), two of the most heavyweight artists brewing for years, for the first time in 2006, Cohen published poetry and set "the desire of the book" in the name of off the topic of cross-border cooperation. Glass to six years, as Cohen's 22 poems set to music, the use of four singers and small orchestra of the preparation, integration of Cohen in the past 20 years, illustrations projected to become a literary, visual and musical feast of mutual intercourse . Complete collection of book arts festival in Taiwan, "the desire of the book" Asia's premiere, the lyrics were in English collection purposes.
Good catch, Roman and good sleuthing, Gwen.

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

bridger15 wrote:Here is a similar cover with a lot more info added by the uploader
Great, Arlene - thanks!
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Here is the original edition of the translation in traditional Chinese, published in Taiwan by The Performing Art Review in Taipei. (I have this book. Unfortunately I am now not at home and cannot check the back cover!!)

Maybe we now have two alternative covers (front or back!) for the same book - So, after all, the mysterious edition was not in Korean but in Chinese.
Thanks for help, friends! I am sure we will solve this mystery!
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

This seems to be a dust jacket. The colour of the cover itself is black (note a strip at the foot), so there must be - you're right, Jarkko - at least 2 different covers. This can't be a dust jacket of known light bottom edition.

P.S. - or, yes, the back cover can be black.
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9638156@N08/3344564617/

Google Translate:
Three letters are Eslite book version: dressed appearance, the book off the waist, took off his clothes book written back
Attachments
Limited cover of the Taiwan version.jpg
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

For those who comes to love Chinese hieroglyphs during this inquest -

and those who collects different items of LC from all over the world,

go to this Taiwan book shop, and - note the attached image with numbers:
1 - click 內容簡報 (to see this picture instead of the cover)
2 - click an arrow

So you'll get a 12-page Power Point presentation of "Book of Longing" in Chinese!
Attachments
Taiwan Presentation.jpg
rochan

Post by rochan »

I copied the description to Google Translate and it detected Chinese but the translation makes no sense! Here is the original edition of the translation in traditional Chinese, published in Taiwan by The Performing Art Review in Taipei. (I have this book. Unfortunately I am now not at home and cannot check the back cover!!)

Return to “Book of Longing”