"i can't pretend i still feel very much like singing..."

This section is for any non-Cohen topics (except political discussions!)

Moderators: MarieM, Maarten, pekka, Henning, Andrew (Darby), dick, tomsakic, Wybe, jarkko

Re: "i can't pretend i still feel very much like singing..."

Postby denise knowles on Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:55 pm

Geoffery, words are never enough, my thoughts and love are with you, at this very sad and awful time.
And there is nothing to apolgize for in you posting this on the forum.
denise knowles

Postby Diane on Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:09 pm

Dear Geoffrey,
I'm so sorry to hear this terribly sad news.
Lots of love to you, Diane.
Diane

Postby mutti on Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:24 pm

Dear Geoffrey
I am so sorry to hear about your daughter and other family members.
I send you a hug at this most painful time.
Take good care of yourself.
Leslie/Mutti
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
mutti

Postby Andrew (Darby) on Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:34 pm

Geoffrey, my sincere condolences too - the loss you have to deal with must be truly awful. :(

Take care now,
Andrew
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
Andrew (Darby)

Postby Martine on Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:19 pm

So sad to hear of this terrible news.
My deepest sympathay on your loss, Geoffrey.
God bless.
Martine

Postby B4real on Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:17 pm

Geoffrey,
Grief is the price we pay for love. I feel your loss.
Bev
Be for real. Free yourself to find the real Self ~~ Me
Happiness is like learning the violin, the more you practice it the more it comes to you ~~ Me
Without the heart, there can be no understanding between the hand and the mind ~~ Gore Vidal
B4real

Postby 3mariza1 on Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:28 pm

Geoffrey
...beloved human loss is always painful, I think that your own child's death feels like the worst loss. Losses we must regrettably be forced to face in our lives, sooner or later, but fortunately us have been equipped so that the time to reduce sadness. Life's must continue, now is the time for grief, and I believe that each of our päiviemme figure has already been predetermined määrätty, we can not anything about it,
Coping and blessing to you!
-mariza-
Last edited by 3mariza1 on Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
3mariza1

Postby Geoffrey on Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:53 pm

i am very moved when reading these beautiful messages, the spirit of compassion with which they are written. so thankful to each and every one of you. am still in the midst of loss, but hopefully will be able to come back a little later and share better news. we received a lovely post card some days ago that my daughter had sent just before she died. the last sentence was: "you probably will get this card a long time after i am back!" well, that was not to be.

take care, where ever you are - and be happy. gx

ps:
am trying to catch up with a lot of private mail, messages i will treasure for a long time. will be away tomorrow, sorting things out, but look forward to answering each person who has written.
Geoffrey

Postby denise knowles on Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:18 am

Geoffery, I know how hard it is, not to just put yourself in a room and hide from the world. I can understand the pain at the loss of you Mother and Wife, but I can not imagine the pain, at the loss of a child, But remember to stay strong, so you can give your other beautiful daughters the strengh they need at this time.
denise knowles

Postby MaryB on Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:43 am

Geoffrey,
Such pain you have to endure - my deepest and heartfelt sympathy on the loss of your child and wife and mother. May time bring you some sense of peace.
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
MaryB

Postby snowdrop on Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:11 am

I can't begin to imagine how you are feeling but I know that you have beautiful memories to comfort you always x
snowdrop

Postby Violet on Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:26 am

.. I'm just seeing this thread for the first time.. I'm so very sorry Geoffrey, you're in my thoughts..

with love,
v i o l e t x

Violet
Violet

Postby musicmania on Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:43 am

So very sorry for your terrible loss Geoffrey. I hope she didn't suffer and may she rest in peace. I cannot imagine the pain you are going through. Life can be very cruel sometimes and you seem to have had much more than your fair share of cruelty. I hope you can find comfort in your other daughters at this difficult time and that they can find comfort in you.
Gwen x
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"Like you would do for one you Love"
musicmania

Postby ladydi on Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:47 am

Dear Geoffrey,

I haven't been on the forum for awhile and just this evening have read this thread.

My heart is filled with sadness for the darkness and almost unbearable loss that has been part of your life for the past several months. My God.....your mother, your wife, your sister, your daughter. I wanted to say "how is this possible", but even as I started to write the words I realized that as humans, there are no guarantees of happiness. The sun rises and sets on the just and the unjust. The "why" is unanswerable. Why are some given almost more than they can bear....and others seem to skate through life untouched by tragedy.

My thoughts are with you. As small as it may seem at this time, I hope you know that many friends of yours....and faceless friends whom you've never met.....are surrounding you with their love and comfort. You are treading a path that you must walk alone....but there are many invisibly walking with you.

Diana
ladydi

Postby Geoffrey on Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:24 pm

Diana wrote:
>The "why" is unanswerable.

Thank you, Diana - and also to the other kind people here, all those who write with hope and encouragement. I have been listening to a line from a live album that Leonard gave out a long time ago, and at the very end of one song he says something completely untrue: "The peacock spreads his deadly fan". A peacock's feathers be about as 'deadly' as a ball of cotton-wool falling from the top of a flagpole - and that line be also unconnected to the rest of the lyrics. So there, Diana, it seems we have another unanswerable "why". Sometimes thoughts, slipping from under one's pen, become wild and uncontrollable, words and logic avoid each other like repelling magnets, we follow a trail of pistachio shells but find no belly full of nuts. I think this be what must have happened here. It be about taking a chance, a gamble. One slight move of the steering-wheel and one drives either into oblivion or another dimension. -G
Geoffrey

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Else