...."Then we take Berlin"

The Berlin Event - before and after
Diane

Post by Diane »

I'm glad you went, Jimmy (not just an LC person, but an Irish LC person 8) ).

You are right, there are way too memories to list. Just a few of the of the highlights for me were:

Undertow playing in the church,

Laura Facci singing Lover Lover Lover in Italian,

little Suzanne's late night performance,

that marvellous screening of Leonard's Canadian hall of fame induction (can anyone point me to a copy of Adrienne Clarkson's beautiful tribute? I think I have read it on here before, but could not locate it just now).

Those memories actually make me catch my breath just thinking of them.

I also thought it was wonderful when everyone was dancing to Polkaholix 8) , and the almost-all-nighters singing in the bars were priceless. And I have to mention the rockin' Les Hommes Sauvages, and the hilarity of sharing a room with Lizzy and Colleen.

Meeting LC people from all over the world was the biggest treat of all. What a wonderful time I had, and what lovely lovely people are LC people. Cheers to all of you whom I got to know a little. I hope we meet again. Thanks loads, Henning and co.

Love,

Diane :D
linmag

Post by linmag »

Hello everyone :)

I have had a bit of trouble logging in since we got back from Berlin, but Jarkko has sorted it all out, as he always does!

I would just like to add my (belated) thanks to Henning and his crew of Organising Losers for such an excellently-run event. They may have all been paddling like mad beneath the water, but on the surface they all looked like swans :)

I am so glad that we managed to get there. I didn't mention it at the event as John didn't seem to want to talk about it, but John's mum had died the weekend before, and right up to the day before we were due to fly we were not sure that we were coming.

It turned out to be just the break we needed. The event itself was marvellous, and Berlin is a lovely city with so much to offer. John has been researching Edmonton and its environs ever since we got back :)

Once again, thanks to everybody.
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I'm so sorry to hear about John's mum, Linda. Please pass on my condolences to him, and they go to you, as well. I'm glad that the Event gave you both some relief. It obviously was a difficult decision for you to come.

Love,
Lizzy
linmag

Post by linmag »

Thanks, Lizzie. John seemed determined that everything should continue as near normally as possible, and looking back I think he was right. There was nothing to be achieved by our staying at home at that point, and Mum would have been deeply distressed if she could have known that we had cancelled our treat because of her. And it certainly was a treat, seeing old friends again and meeting new ones. I think it helped both of us to cope with what we had to come home to.
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
Diane

Post by Diane »

My condolences to you and John, Linda.

It was great having you in Berlin. I think you were the first person to warn me that we had to stay up until "four in the morning", to sing that song. How shocked I was; this was way, way past my bedtime. But by the end of the week I had forgotten what bed was!

Love to you both,

Diane

Return to “The Leonard Cohen Event in Berlin 2006”