No Berlin for me...

The Berlin Event - before and after
mickey_one

No Berlin for me...

Post by mickey_one »

to all those attending Berlin for the Event, I wish you a great time. I look forward to reading the stories and seeing the photos!

There are many friends I shall miss seeing again.

I look forward to meeting another time,

warm regards

Michael
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

NOOOooooooo ~ THIS can't be!?!

It appears you are not making it known publicly your reason/s for not going, Michael. I'll be PMing you, instead.

I'm MAJOR MAJOR disappointed that you won't be there!!! I'm so SORRY to hear this news.

It WILL not be the same without you ~ you're such a Spark!! I was really looking forward to your and Geoff's debate, too... who will he debate now!?! Can the best of attorneys do both sides??

I'm really disappointed, Michael. I hope you'll be in Edmonton two years from now.

Love,
Lizzy
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

lizzytysh wrote: It WILL not be the same without you ~ you're such a Spark!! I was really looking forward to your and Geoff's debate, too... who will he debate now!?! Can the best of attorneys do both sides??
Michael, I echo Elizabeth's sentiments and I hope there is someone else replacing you so the debate can still happen! However, could your aplomb and wit ever be matched!? :wink:

Cheers :)
Andrew (Darby)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
mickey_one

Post by mickey_one »

thanks very much Lizzy and Andrew, both good friends whom I will miss greatly.

the Panel discussion, I am told, is not going ahead. although, the last time I looked it was still trailed on the pages here.
Henning

Post by Henning »

I can confirm now, that due to Michaels cancellation this great idea of controversional debate had to die, at least for Berlin. The website is updated now. We all feel very sorry that this not going to happen and that Michael is not able to make it to Berlin.
~greg

Post by ~greg »

Although I'm not going either, I too am sorry to hear
that you aren't going, Michael.

There is an ocean between where I am, on the one hand,
and England, where you are, on the other. But thinking
more and more about your publicly publicized threat
to punch me out once, I was really looking forward to there
being more land added to that distance, a little extra
security buffer between us, for a little while. Because then
I might have gotten some sleep.

There is a curious "Anonymous", from "United Kingdom",
who is going.

Yes, well, anyway, if you aren't going, then you have your reasons.
And if they aren't happy reasons, then I am sincerely sorry.

If, on the other hand, it was the dying of the "debate"
(or "Panel discussion" or "controversial debate")
that changed your mind about going, then remember,
there are a great many lively exchanges of opinion
going on right now in various threads on this very forum
which you can always join in, in order to try to fill in that space
that was opened up in your head for the Berlin debate.
Or you could learn something if you don't.

All the best to you Michael,
in these worst of times.

Greg
Henning

Post by Henning »

I'd like to add, that I respect Michael's decision at full length. Geoff Gompers and I have discussed if there was a chance to replace Michael on this part of the program. But we agreed, that there is only one Michael Wolkind, one Michael Wolkind. So maybe this show is only delayed .... and Edmonton is the right place or some bridge later.
mickey_one

Post by mickey_one »

well, Henning, I am going to start not going to more Events just to find out that people really do care, ahhhh!

If I am not sorted by Edmonton then I will be jumping from that bridge, my friend.

btw I presume the Edmonton you have in mind is somewhere exotic, not the horrid industrial suburb a few miles down the road from me. But if by chance it is my local dump area, then it's all back to my place for fizzy drinks and cakes.

And Greg, you defame me. " But thinking
more and more about your publicly publicized threat
to punch me out once"

I am sure I promised to punch you out twice. Wasn't the plan that we entered the ring, squared up and then I said "look, isn't that Leonard Cohen in the front row", and then, as you glance over, pow! Down to the canvas you go.

By the time you get up, the crowd long gone and the hall is being swept, I then look you in the eye and say "that Bird On The Wire is a really good song isn't it" and down you go again this time from shock.

Keep well, Mate.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

:lol: I will definitely miss you in Berlin :lol: !!

Looking forward to the non-industrial Edmonton... and all back to your room for fizzy drinks and cakes.

Love,
Lizzy
Laura

Post by Laura »

I FINALLY manage to get to one event (after 6 years of wishing that) and you are not coming! Really, Michael, I'll cry all the time from now until the event. :cry: (ok, I may stop a bit once I get there... but I'm not sure...)

Laura
mickey_one

Post by mickey_one »

Laura wrote:I FINALLY manage to get to one event (after 6 years of wishing that) and you are not coming! Really, Michael, I'll cry all the time from now until the event. :cry: (ok, I may stop a bit once I get there... but I'm not sure...)

Laura
and if you met me there, you would cry all the time unitl the end of the Event, so it's cooooooooollll

have a great time, Laura
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

You told me the saaaaaaame thing and it wasn't true :roll: .

I'm so glad to hear that you're coming, Laura :D .

I may join Laura in a tear or two, Michael... so there :wink: .

~ Lizzy
Paula

Post by Paula »

Ahhh Michael what a shame you won't be going. Megan and I will probably not be able to make it now but we will be with you all in spirit and hope it is a truly magnificent event. Look forward to reading the accounts afterwards.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I've already expressed my serious regret to you, personally, Paula, about you and Megan not coming... but I understand. I'll miss you both to the max.

Love,
Lizzie
Paul

Post by Paul »

Oh dear, Michael. Some of us have relied on you to provide a feeling of participation at past events, via postcards you sent. It was a much appreciated gesture.

I do hope someone is thoughtful enough to send you a postcard. They keep for years in the same drawer as your socks and undies.

All the best,
Paul.

Return to “The Leonard Cohen Event in Berlin 2006”