LC Event Berlin 2006 presents: Chris and Carla

The Berlin Event - before and after
Henning

LC Event Berlin 2006 presents: Chris and Carla

Post by Henning »

Chris Eckman and Carla Torgerson are the mastermind of the Walkabouts, a band from Seattle who has released 20 albums during the last two decades and who has gained huge popularity in Europe.

Here is a small introduction from the Walkabouts webpage:

"The Eckman brothers, Chris and Curt, had been playing in various punk/pop groups during their college years and Carla alternately came from a folk and street singing background. Chris and Carla first met while they were both working a summer job at an Alaskan fish cannery, although they were both also attending Whitman College in Walla Walla, Washington at the time. A year later they moved to Seattle and the band was born. As Chris Eckman once responded to this question, "We named the band after the Nicholas Roeg film 'Walkabout.' Only Carla had ever seen it, but my brother Curt (who was the bass player at the time), saw it on a movie poster and suggested it. We basically chose the name because it reminded us of (Australian band) the Go-Betweens, of whom we were enormous fans. The name has caused us a few problems over the years (marquees that read: "from Australia" and the like) but the name has served us well. Also, thematically it has even functioned well, since so many of our songs have dealt with travel, distances and the road. Chris Eckman and Carla Torgerson began performing as a duo during downtimes between Walkabouts projects."

Both are engaged in other projects as well. Chris is writing songs almost every day and has released two solo CD's. He also works as producer for a couple of bands and singers (Midnight Choir, Terry Lee Hale, etc ..). He is now married and living in Slovenia. Carla still lives in Seattle. She has such a gifted voice that even the popular English band "The Tindersticks" invited her to sing on a few of their songs. Carla has studied in Freiburg, Germany for some semesters. In interviews they often have mentioned the influence of Leonard Cohen on their labour in song.

http://www.tea-and-oranges.de/mp3/night ... ations.mp3

On Saturday, August 12, 2006 at 21.45, Heilig-Kreuz-Kirche Berlin-Kreuzberg: Chris and Carla

The artist booking is now completed and we are looking forward to hear this big ensemble of great musicians.

For further informations please visit these sites:

http://www.thewalkabouts.com/walkbio.htm

http://www.thewalkabouts.com

http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/berlin-artists.html

http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/berlin-program.html

viewforum.php?f=17&sid=2add2e0375a3c891804004d1e9a5eb2d
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Wow!!!

I can add only that I first heard about Chris & Carla as a student, when in one article was writen how they are "trying to sound like Leonard Cohen and Jennifer Warnes" :-)
Anne

Post by Anne »

This is SO COOL! I can't believe you got Chris and Carla!!!

Henning, you are amazing. Well, we already knew that...

Berlin is going to be wonderful.

This is a good week!
Elsie

Post by Elsie »

Congratulations, Henning!!!

I can't believe my eyes. What did you do?

Now, I guess it is about time I get my flight booked and also a hotel room. Thursday till Monday, okay?

Elsiiiie ***
Henning

Post by Henning »

Yeah - I wanted them - and they were immediately attracted by the idea of playing our Cohen event. Yes, Anne looks like a great week for you and Elsie, you know that from tommorrow on we are rivals for the next two weeks. I already promised to be your friend again after that time. But in between - no mercy !
Elsie

Post by Elsie »

Good grief - the Torino thing - the Winter Olympics:roll:

So much for friendship. Please don't let sports become a religion, there's enough of that these days. This is supposed to be a GAME!

But okay, let's play it your way. Ready steady GO!!!

We are going to beat you, anyhow.

See you later, Deutscher ....
Tim

Post by Tim »

Wow!!! This is like a second birthday present for me! Thanks so much for arranging this, Henning, you're great! (as are Chris and Carla). Looking forward to seeing them in Berlin nearly as much as I'm looking forward to seeing my cohenfriends...

Tim
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Henning :D ~

I've heard of the Walkabouts. I've heard of the Tindersticks. All good things regarding both!

NOW ~ I get to experience, first hand, some of the origins of the former and additions to the latter 8) .

You are setting a new, Gold Bar Standard for Events, Henning. You realize that, right!?! I know that when Diane reads this, she will feel nothing less than thrilled for her excellent decision [okay, the fact that she finally caved :P ] several months back :D !

This is truly amazing, Henning... and given their previous comments, I'm certain they were very attracted to the idea of joining us 8) !

Good on you, good on you, good on you, dear Henning :D !!!

Love,
Lizzy
Diane

Post by Diane »

Wow. Great, Henning!

Lizzy, or should I say Louise (naming you thus only because the first letters of your names coincide :wink: ), I was glad I "caved in" a long time ago, and even before I had a clue about the entertainment planned for Berlin :) .

Speaking of marvellous music and international rivalries, I just caught Luciano Pavarotti singing Nessun Dorma at the opening ceremony of the Winter Olympics in Turin 8) .

Love,

Diane
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Don't you just keep getting gladder and gladder, though :lol: :wink: ?

Pavarotti ~ that must have been beautiful... and I love the Winter Olympics.

Well, my former husband gave me the jist of "Thelma and Louise" ~ and now I've forgotten which was which. He didn't seem fond of the idea that I was 'co-opting' one or the other of the characters :lol: .

I was just coming to this section, too... to say that I've just booked my Athens-to-Cracow, Cracow-to-Berlin, and Berlin-to-Athens flights ~ lost some money by waiting, but nothing I could do about that. Also, was quite startled when I clicked on the Athens-to-Cracow one, and a message popped up that "this flight is no longer available" [as in full] :shock: . So, I tried another airline and found that they don't fly that route, so in total denial, tried again with the first and it went through :o :D [whew!]. Needless to say, I was prompted to immediately book the flight ~ to heck with waiting and saving a few cents... considering the airline flies there on only Sundays and Thursdays :shock: . No need to that that risk!

After completing all that, I started exploring the Flying Dolphin/ferry situation for getting to Hydra [wondering if I might be able to book that ahead, as well... or at least pin down what the price is likely to be]. In doing that, I learned about George the Taxi Driver in Athens :D ... when I saw the photos of the Hydra harbour, and a woman on a horse, my tears filled my eyes. Oh, my ~ I can't wait to return.

Okay, over and out, Thelma [at least till I see the movie... however, not so sure about this, since you seemed to feel the need to qualify your calling me that :P ].

Now, if my real Thelma friend was coming, she could be Thelma :D .

Good to see you 'round these parts, Diane.

Love,
Lizzy
Diane

Post by Diane »

Don't you just keep getting gladder and gladder, though ?
Yah! Freude! Froh Freude :D !
Well, my former husband gave me the jist of "Thelma and Louise" ~ and now I've forgotten which was which. He didn't seem fond of the idea that I was 'co-opting' one or the other of the characters
Oh dear, I do still hope you are willing to be my partner in crime. It has been a few years since I saw the movie, and I honestly can't remember who was who. Maybe we should decide upon our parts when we meet :lol: ?

Close shave on the flight bookings thing, Lizzy. Phew!
... when I saw the photos of the Hydra harbour, and a woman on a horse, my tears filled my eyes. Oh, my ~ I can't wait to return.
Wonderful! Margaret showed me some pictures of the harbour in Hydra when I met her in Bristol. It does look beautiful. Btw, I saw in another thread somewhere references to Margaret's photogenicness (if there is such a word), and having seen some lovely pictures of Margaret taken on Hydra, I have to endorse that view :) .

The name Thelma is very uncommon in the UK. Wasn't there a Thelma in the Flintstones? Oh no, that was Wilma, wasn't it. But I digress :roll: .

Love,

Diane :D
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Yes, that's Wilma, Diane :) ...

I'll let you know what I think after I see it... one was with a biker?? That wouldn't be me. Neither seemed to have stellar lives though, as I recall his description... I just can't recall the details. There was some abuse going on, too... via one of the males.

Are you kidding!?! Of course our venture is still on!

I keep getting gladder and gladder, too... and, for me, going/not going was never even an issue :lol: !

I wish you could see Hydra this time around. Yes, Margaret has an unusual, classic face... and it captures beautifully in photographs 8) .

The REAL close call was awhile back, when I realized the computer had held onto some info and instead of booking Berlin to Athens, I had booked Athens to Berlin, to depart on the day I should have been leaving Berlin! I lost money cancelling that flight... so today was very tense... reading, rereading destinations and dates! Yes ~ though ~ I freaked when I saw that today, and immediately started trying to figure out how I was going to do a bus or a train and visas :shock: :cry: . SO relieved when it turned out to be unnecessary.

Love,
Lizzy
Diane

Post by Diane »

Hi Lizzy,

It's good that you have your travel arrangements sorted out, after the stress of booking the flights :shock: . Hydra sounds wonderful. In contrast, over the half-term holiday next week, we are off to Dartmoor, which, at this time of year, will be cold, and full of swirling mists and probably a fair bit of rain. I can't wait 8) .

Well, we don't have to co-opt the full personalities of Thelma and Louise, y'know. I was just thinking about cutting loose and adopting a criminal lifestyle. That's all.

Love,

Diane :wink:
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Ah... criminality. Pure and simple thieves and thugs. That's works for me 8) !

~ Lizzy :lol:

As to Hydra ~ "why didn't you book your flight for the 14th so you could see our religious celebration," the boat/ferry guy writes back... "I think you would like it..." he says. "Because I didn't know!!! It's not that I would like it. I would love it!!!" I replied. :cry: Now, even water trips to Hydra and back are appearing to be in question :shock: . And the Bed & Breakfast ~ Pension Anna is $60 USD a night! I need a roommate and cheaper lodging ~ both! Now, I'm wondering... okay, if I change my Easy Jet flight by a day, how much will it cost me??

Henning ~ Do you have ANY specific plans, yet, for Monday evening/night? If not, I'm considering a change of flight to Monday vs. Tuesday. We can still adjust with the hotel accommodations... or, I guess I could be a betrayer and opt out of that one night :shock: :? :( . I would really love to see the celebrations on Hydra, though.
Henning

Post by Henning »

Message from Chris to the Walkabouts mailing list:

"Carla and i are busily preparing for the C&C album session at the end of July. The songs have been selected, and now we just have to learn them, and well, record them! Simple huh? The material is not as heavy as the stuff from Acetylene and to my ears there is a bit of sunshine and a lot of melody to be found. We are definitely excited about how it has come together so far.

Have a great summer: Chris"

Return to “The Leonard Cohen Event in Berlin 2006”