'Open Mic' sessions - Info for performers

The Berlin Event - before and after
Andrew (Darby)

'Open Mic' sessions - Info for performers

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Dear potential 'Open Mic' performers, one and all, as organiser of the Saturday 'Open Mic' sessions, I'm keen to hear from you at any time! :)

The sort of information I am suggesting that I need from you, if you wish to perform in an 'Open Mic' session, is:
Your Name (or how you would like to be introduced);
Type of performance (eg.song, poem, dance), including name of item; and
Approximate length of performance/s (including setting-up/tuning time).

The time factor is important, as I will need to keep a estimate of the total time to stay within the allocated time. In terms of the individual song performances, we have also decided on a notional 2 song limit ( just to give as many performers as possible a chance). However, should we run short of performers/performances, then we'll allow performers to do more than the 2 songs. There may be a little time extension latitude at the end, but we must bear in mind that people will have personal schedules or things they may otherwise decide to do after our session and before the evening programme begins (not to mention some likely rehearsals for the evening event) so we should try to stick to the set finishing time.

Anyway, I will still need to have some idea of the total performance time to help me make a decision about any potential cut-off point, when I'll need to "close the books" (allowing for a few performances in reserve, if time permits such extra performances or scheduled performers drop out at the last minute). The flip side of the coin is that, if I have excess time available, I will accept late expressions of interest to perform (even at the event) and some folk may also get the opportunity to do more than 2 performance items. :D

An important principle, which is to do with fairness, is that any such cut-off point will be on basis of the chronological order of the registration with me of expressions of interest to perform (with those expressing an interest after this cut-off point going on a "reserve list", if they wish to). However, I will endeavour to give folk some warning of any approaching cut-off point, to try to avoid unnecessary disappointment.

Ultimately, it is not likely I will know what will transpire in terms of the final performance schedule until the day arrives (unless there are lots of early registrations of interest). So, unless there is an early rush, there will be no 'closing time' for registration of interest, as we will make allowances for some coy folk who might become last minute "spur of the moment performers"! :wink:

We are also now proposing a restructure of the Saturday afternoon programme, which will create two Open Mic sessions, by separating out the poetry segment from the song (or dance) one. Please keep checking the Berlin section of the The LC Files for confirmation and exact details of this change. The 2 song performances limit principle will probably also apply to the poetry session.

I look forward to hearing from a good many of you in due course! My more accessible email address is darby50@ozemail.com.au

Cheers :)
Andrew (Darby)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
Sir Roger

Post by Sir Roger »

Mr Darby, I know not whether you witnessed at Hydra my barnstorming performance of Leonard Cohen's Banananananas (sometimes I just don't know when to stop!!!) but many thought it was the highlight of the Open Mic acts.

I wish formally to inform you that I will be replicating my performance of said poetic gem at our little meeting at Berlin. I ask the committee please to supply, at no cost to myself, 3 bunches of regular bananas and 3 inflatable balloon versions.

I would also ask you to print and distribute lyric sheets IN ADVANCE of my performance. It may be best to arrange distribution at all aiports and sea ports.

Thank you for your kind agreement and I will let you know in due course where in the running order I will perform

sincerely etc

Sir Roger
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Hi there Sir Roger!

I look forward to more information about your performance. :D

My initial reaction (given your description of it, thus far) is that it is likely to have a-peeling aspects for our audience and I'm sure their inflated expectations concerning the balloons will be fully realised! :wink:

Cheeers :)
Andrew (Darby)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~

Return to “The Leonard Cohen Event in Berlin 2006”