Artists similar to Leonard Cohen

This section is for all other music-related topics
Adrian

Re: Artists similar to Leonard Cohen

Post by Adrian »

Last.fm also has a "Similar Artists" page, which is continually recalibrated based on listening patterns of folks - http://www.last.fm/music/Leonard+Cohen/+similar

The current top ten looks like this:

Bob Dylan 100

Tom Waits 88

Nick Drake 76

Neil Young 76

Simon & Garfunkel 63

Johnny Cash 63

Joni Mitchell 63

Nick Cave 62

Van Morrison 53

Joan Baez 51
"Why music?" "Why breathing?"
Undertow

Post by Undertow »

The only artist that comes to mind is Nick Drake. I got into both Cohen and Drake at the same time (Was a pretty sad time as you can imagine) and both are very very good.

Nick Drake's Pink Moon is absolutely perfect. Please do go listen to it if youre looking for a credible alternative to Cohen.
UrPal

Post by UrPal »

If you are looking for someone who is doing something musically which has a lot of the features of Cohen's early work, and who has a similarly deep voice, then you might try the music of Jim Yamouridis, an Australian of Greek descent now living and plying his trade in France (at least last time I looked). He's a friend and long time working associate of Conway Savage, pianist with Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds. You can try some of his music on stream here:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... c301b109b5

He used to be in an obscure Melbourne based band called The Stream, who were less LC but no less worthy of a listen:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =135109195

In terms of artists in modern music who share Cohen's ability to spin words with music in quite magical ways, the most prominent in my list would be:

Jacques Brel
Lou Reed
Nick Cave
David McComb
Tom Waits

I expect there might be one or two more but very few with as consistent a body of work as those named.
temporal_twilight

Post by temporal_twilight »

One artist that I love for the same reason's that I love Leonard Cohen is Josh Ritter... though I'm sure I'd say the music is similar, he does credit Cohen as one of his major influences.
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl »

I would say Chris Rea too. Especially The Road to Hell; great lyrics and that deep textured voic.
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
remarkblz

Post by remarkblz »

In a number of aspects: John Hiatt. In fact, I'm surprised he hasn't been mentioned yet(but then he doesn't seem to be well known at all, undeservedly).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UrueP3aM40
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LGHcwrB ... re=related
Last edited by remarkblz on Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
We are going to face infinity, whether we like it or not. Why do it when we are weak, broken, at the moment of dying. Why not when we are strong. Why not now? C.Castaneda
Undertow

Post by Undertow »

temporal_twilight wrote:One artist that I love for the same reason's that I love Leonard Cohen is Josh Ritter... though I'm sure I'd say the music is similar, he does credit Cohen as one of his major influences.
Oh good God why did I not listen to you earlier?!

His lyrics may not be as poetic as Cohens, and his music not as sparse, but wow some of those songs are unbelievable, the lyrics really astonished me.
Kush

Post by Kush »

In a number of aspects: John Hiatt. In fact, I'm surprised he hasn't been mentioned yet(but then he doesn't seem to be well known at all, undeservedly).
Undoubtedly so, my friend. JH rocks!
remarkblz

Post by remarkblz »

We are going to face infinity, whether we like it or not. Why do it when we are weak, broken, at the moment of dying. Why not when we are strong. Why not now? C.Castaneda
conoalias

Post by conoalias »

Jeff Zentner
Jason Molina/Songs:Ohia/Magnolia Electric Co.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

Too stressed out to listen to Leonard in the run up to the great ticket sale I was listening to Lee Hazlewood's final CD "Cake and Death" last night. Struck by how similar Lee's voice sounded to Leonard's.
Those who earnestly are lost
Are lost and lost again

1989: Hydra; 1993: Royal Albert Hall x 2; 2008: Dublin x 3; Manchester Opera House x 2; London O2; Royal Albert Hall x 2; 2009: Dublin 02 x 2; 2010: Sligo x 2; 2012: Dublin x 2; 2013: London O2; Dublin x 2; 2014: Dublin meet up
dharma

Post by dharma »

Bartleby wrote:Struck by how similar Lee's voice sounded to Leonard's.
i've got hazy memories of mistaking Leonard for Lee when i was aged about 11 or 12 :oops:

i kinda suspect the production on Songs of Love & Hate, especially with the heavy reverb on the vocals, was influenced by Hazlewood

the very special world of lee hazlewood (1966) is well worth a listen - it has pre Nancy & Lee versions of sand and summer wine

London 1985 / London 1988 / London 1992 / Dublin, Manchester, London, Paris, 2008 / Weybridge, Venice 2009
tupelo

Post by tupelo »

Gianmaria Testa, what a voice, it makes me melt. I don't speak Italian, so have no real idea what he sings about, but when I first heard 'Da Questa Parte Del Mare' (album) it totally blew me away. I also really like the instrumentation on his songs.

You can check him out here: http://www.myspace.com/gianmariatesta

Play 'Seminatori Di Grano'

I can totally recommend the above album.
thin_gypsy_thief

Post by thin_gypsy_thief »

What about Will Oldham (mentioned only once here)? I find the "I see a darkness" album deeply Cohen-ian. I love his voice here, its sense of dramaticity and soft bitterness.
Be mindful of the prayers you send
Pray hard but pray with care
For the tears that you are crying now
Are just your answered prayers

waiting for:
Lucca, 27th July
Knickerless

Post by Knickerless »

well, whenever I finish a song the first thing that goes through my head is "would Leonard play that", so I guess I better put it out there,

http://www.myspace.com/nickmarksmusic

Of the others, i cant stand Nick Cave though I must admit he certainly puts in the hours when it comes to trying to be like cohen. Tom Waits, obviously and my random selection would have to be... the guy thats sings in Alabama 3, sorry his name slips my mind right now.

Return to “Other music”