ever wondered?

This is for your own works!!!
Geoffrey

ever wondered?

Post by Geoffrey »

ever wondered what people do when they've got too much time on their hands?
well, now you know ;-)
metal.jpg
B4real

Re: ever wondered?

Post by B4real »

hehehe! I never thought I'd ever see the day when Leonard would turn to "heavy metal" ;-)
That's very inventive, Geoffrey!

A second thought says he's very magnetically attractive this way as well :)
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

B4real wrote:hehehe! I never thought I'd ever see the day when Leonard would turn to "heavy metal" ;-)
That's very inventive, Geoffrey!
A second thought says he's very magnetically attractive this way as well :)
inventive? i read yesterday that an idea is a greater monument than a cathedral, but feel mine are the size of dolls' houses. your inspired comments betray a fertile imagination, the type of which i never have possessed. thank you so much for stopping by :-)
tularosa

Post by tularosa »

Extraordinaire !! Quel talent Geoffrey !
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

tularosa wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:25 pm Extraordinaire !! Quel talent Geoffrey !
why, thank you. personally, i am embarrassed by its poorness. it could have been so much better, it was a spontaneous piece of 'work' started while tidying up a lot of nuts, bolts, washers, etc. left over after hammering computer parts onto a board - was not meant to be a serious attempt at anything worthwhile. stuck it onto facebook and the reaction was astounding, well over a hundred people writing positively within a short time. when something properly is attempted, the reaction is minimal. little justice in this world.
B4real

Post by B4real »

Geoffrey wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:02 pm inventive? i read yesterday that an idea is a greater monument than a cathedral, but feel mine are the size of dolls' houses. your inspired comments betray a fertile imagination, the type of which i never have possessed. thank you so much for stopping by :)
Ah Geoffrey, my pleasure!
You know I think it was Einstein who once said that imagination is more important than knowledge or something along that line. But you’ve proved him wrong in that here they both can equally and visually exist side by side ....
or should I say, link by link.... (can't help myself) ;-)

And saying that, it's made me realise the image itself has a visual effect not unlike armour that has turned to lace! Ha!
The shades simply add a modern touch to the panoply of any fashionable knight :)
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

hei B4real:
yes, i believe it was einstein who said that, but to claim i have proved him wrong might be debatable ;-)

the glow on the picture is from artificial lighting. it was impossible to carry the portrait onto the balcony because the screws kept rolling about with the slightest movement. had i planned this a little better i could have glued everything to the board, but it was just an impromptu idea. you should try it; it's not difficult, and quite a lot of fun :-)
B4real

Post by B4real »

Hi again Geoffrey,
I think my thought of the Einstein quote was because most of my working life has been professionally involved in the art industry and that includes being an art teacher. I have found that you can easily impart your knowledge of all art techniques to your students but it’s entirely another thing to attempt to teach them imagination. You do have both those qualities. Keep on doing what you do!

Oh, and about using alternative art materials for LC portraits – I don’t have a lot of loose screws ;-) or metal bits and pieces lying around but I do have quantities of something softer! Some years ago I designed and hand knitted a cashmere poncho incorporating one of my drawings of Leonard pointillistically stitch by stitch. I’m happy to say it’s most comforting to wrap my arms around him any time I desire and he still keeps me warm and snug in the winter :D
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

a while ago, whilst browsing through a pile of boring LPs at a second-hand shop (mostly mantovani, james last and other exciting elevator music), i happened upon an old 78rpm box set of beethoven's 'pastoral' - containing five records in pristine condition. couldn't believe my eyes. these were so easily breakable because they weren't made of modern vinyl, and the price was almost nothing. i carried the box to the lady at the counter and she winked at me, saying: "i can see you are a man with good taste!" i nodded, smiled politely, carried my purchase home, and took a sledgehammer to it. that afternoon i used the pieces to make a mosaic of a black rose; it looked beautiful - a work of art! then i swept it all into the trashcan and tried to think of what else i could do. i thought of portraits with different spices, with bars of white and dark chocolate, ketchup and mustard, breakfast cereals, coloured marzipan, beads, etc. leonard cohen's face started looking at me through drawings made with a salt cellar, paintings created with black coffee, egg liqueur, cocoa. yet i never did anything with wool, so it would be interesting to see your poncho. please don't hesitate to post it.
B4real

Post by B4real »

That was an interesting scenario with the 78 records! You could say its called living in the now :) I can’t lay my hands on my poncho at the moment because I’m getting renovations done and there are boxes and stuff and people everywhere! I actually haven’t seen it since last winter. I’ll look later when everything settles down and thanks for your interest. And speaking of different ways and means to look at Leonard, some of which you have just now listed I remember your excellent coffee painting. I love its freedom of application .... and I can’t think of a better way to experience black coffee!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

hello again my dear.

it is flattering to know that someone remembers the coffee picture. using such a medium one must work either on card or heavy paper instead of canvas, and the liquid soaks into it immediately it is kissed by the brush. therefore no room for errors if perfection is the goal. yet, should one make an irreversible mistake it is of little consequence when one considers the destruction of entire galaxies occurring elsewhere in the unending vastness of the cosmos.

i note with a degree of alarm the extensive renovations currently ongoing at your home, and understand the unsettlement you must be experiencing. losing one's privacy by constantly having lots of people around, one's personal effects hidden inaccessibly away for many months in unmarked boxes - let us hope that this disruption does not outweigh the planned improvements.

in any case, it was good of you to post another message and share your news. communication is bleach onto the bacteria of silence.
-g

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”