Holding It Together

This is for your own works!!!
Bennyboy

Holding It Together

Post by Bennyboy »

Here's my new album - its quite miserable so should appeal to my fellow Leonard fans out there.

Hope you like it - you can stream it for free here - or even buy a download version off me if you are feeling generous:

https://benclayton.bandcamp.com/album/h ... t-together
solongleonard

Re: Holding It Together

Post by solongleonard »

Leonard being miserable is an old, and very dull mistake. I'm surprised that an admirer is repeating that worn out nonsense.

Nonetheless, good luck with your new work

Geoffrey
SOME PEOPLE NEVER GO CRAZY.
WHAT TRULY HORRIBLE LIVES
THEY MUST LEAD
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

I've only had time for a quick listen, but I like it!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

Hartmut wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:07 pm I've only had time for a quick listen, but I like it!
reading quickly is not difficult, but how does one listen quickly?
solongleonard

Post by solongleonard »

Geoffrey wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:49 pm
Hartmut wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:07 pm I've only had time for a quick listen, but I like it!

"listen" - here is a good deaf* to give attention with the ear; attend closely for the purpose of hearing; give ear.

there are 2 established methods. More commonly one removes all ear canal and inner ear drum obstructions, your piece of yesterday's cod and chips for example, and also one stretches the ears forward to the speaker, or the speakers, so the sound reaches you more quickly. Over the course of my 73 years I have saved more than 2 minutes by that last approach. During that saved time I have produced 17 sketches of Leonard Cohen so don't mock the procedure please.

Thank you

The Lead Singer of English Geoffrey and the Wren Tribute Sextet

* this place is so dead these days that I am compelled to asterix the jokes in the vain hope of getting attention

** Ha! might as well go on BBC1 tomorrow morning at 10

*** Which I amly
THEY MUST LEAD
Oscotarach

Post by Oscotarach »

Why yuo make all zee time funny to Goeffery ? He much geenius and yuo iss abscessed with him . When play record 78 not 33 or 54 can yuo here it quicklie . Why yuo iss on zee telifishon manyana , yuo speek abuot Señor Coen or Steefy Wunder agen ?
solongleonard

Post by solongleonard »

Oscotarach wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:03 pm Why yuo make all zee time funny to Goeffery ? He much geenius and yuo iss abscessed with him . When play record 78 not 33 or 54 can yuo here it quicklie . Why yuo iss on zee telifishon manyana , yuo speek abuot Señor Coen or Steefy Wunder agen ?
he speakzabout joanne mjadzelics and hello Osteopath good to see your back*

*another cracker
THEY MUST LEAD
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote:
Hartmut wrote: I've only had time for a quick listen, but I like it!
When I tell people that I’ve had “a quick listen” to some music that they’ve recommended, frequently citing time constraints as the reason for my haste (which may or may not be true), that usually means that the last thing I wanted to do was listen to whatever it was that they suggested. Normally, this is because of one or two reasons (sometimes both): 1) I know that the person making the recommendation has god-awful taste in music; or 2) they don’t know me from Eve, thus they cannot possibly know what kind of music I enjoy, and therefore they really have no right to suggest that I listen to anything. In either case, I know that I will probably just be wasting my time, and inevitably I will hate the music that they’ve recommended (maybe that should be reason #3. And #4, for the pedants who may be reading this.).

However, every now and then, if I am in the proper mood (i.e. feeling inexplicably generous, curious and/or masochistic), I may, actually, go so far as to have “a quick listen” to whatever it is (the only time I will tell somebody that I had “a quick listen” is if I did, in fact, have one). It is somewhat relevant to note that, for me, “a quick listen” entails my listening to the first few seconds of the tune (or of each track, if there are several), and/or listening to a few seconds of random bits and pieces throughout a longer piece, but nothing more extensive than that (thus, my exposure to the music in question is brief and superficial, rather than my having actually paid any serious attention to it at all). In my experience, even the quickest of listens almost always confirms points 1 and 2 (and 3/4) in the above paragraph.

Maybe that’s what Hartmut meant by “a quick listen”, and he was just being nice and diplomatic by saying that he liked it, even though he actually has no intention of ever listening to it again. I know that when I tell people that I’ve had “a quick listen” to something they’ve recommended, no further “listens” are ever going to be scheduled in my lifetime (again, because of the reasons mentioned above). It is thus purely out of politeness that I do not tell them what I really thought of the music, instead employing the euphemistic "quick listen" to avoid hurt feelings, and I suspect that I am not alone in that.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

solongleonard wrote: ... hello Osteopath good to see your back*

*another cracker
I got the joke. Very humerus.
smarcu

Post by smarcu »

Allah Make NotIt posibel To lissen Fast, Hamdullah. I is biggest fan to Lennard. Segmunts Ofmusick At rigth Speed is what Only does beHurd by Us, In. You infidels speak not truth From Tung. Blessings to the Profits.
Salam Ou Alaikoum
Ahmed
snowdrop

Post by snowdrop »

You has plenty time.but not listen only tells lies.Why you must do this unhonest things?Gudrun
solongleonard

Post by solongleonard »

LisaLCFan wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:46 am
Geoffrey wrote:
Hartmut wrote: I've only had time for a quick listen, but I like it!
When I tell people that I’ve had “a quick listen” to some music that they’ve recommended, frequently citing time constraints as the reason for my haste (which may or may not be true), that usually means that the last thing I wanted to do was listen to whatever it was that they suggested. Normally, this is because of one or two reasons (sometimes both): 1) I know that the person making the recommendation has god-awful taste in music; or 2) they don’t know me from Eve, thus they cannot possibly know what kind of music I enjoy, and therefore they really have no right to suggest that I listen to anything. In either case, I know that I will probably just be wasting my time, and inevitably I will hate the music that they’ve recommended (maybe that should be reason #3. And #4, for the pedants who may be reading this.).

However, every now and then, if I am in the proper mood (i.e. feeling inexplicably generous, curious and/or masochistic), I may, actually, go so far as to have “a quick listen” to whatever it is (the only time I will tell somebody that I had “a quick listen” is if I did, in fact, have one). It is somewhat relevant to note that, for me, “a quick listen” entails my listening to the first few seconds of the tune (or of each track, if there are several), and/or listening to a few seconds of random bits and pieces throughout a longer piece, but nothing more extensive than that (thus, my exposure to the music in question is brief and superficial, rather than my having actually paid any serious attention to it at all). In my experience, even the quickest of listens almost always confirms points 1 and 2 (and 3/4) in the above paragraph.

Maybe that’s what Hartmut meant by “a quick listen”, and he was just being nice and diplomatic by saying that he liked it, even though he actually has no intention of ever listening to it again. I know that when I tell people that I’ve had “a quick listen” to something they’ve recommended, no further “listens” are ever going to be scheduled in my lifetime (again, because of the reasons mentioned above). It is thus purely out of politeness that I do not tell them what I really thought of the music, instead employing the euphemistic "quick listen" to avoid hurt feelings, and I suspect that I am not alone in that.
Best Post, both morals and tactics. Well done
THEY MUST LEAD
solongleonard

Post by solongleonard »

smarcu wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:57 am Allah Make NotIt posibel To lissen Fast, Hamdullah. I is biggest fan to Lennard. Segmunts Ofmusick At rigth Speed is what Only does beHurd by Us, In. You infidels speak not truth From Tung. Blessings to the Profits.
Salam Ou Alaikoum. You will never nose me
Ahmed
" You will never nose me". You boast no one will ever be able to identify you but give yourself away by using a simple anagram of your real name. Please behave respectfully in future , Mr Suca
THEY MUST LEAD
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Sybil, is that you? I thought that the asylum blocked your internet connection the last time they received complaints from members of the Leonard Cohen Forum regarding your antics. I suppose it is rather ironic that you've chosen a thread entitled "Holding It Together" to make your return, since we all know that such an endeavour is beyond you. Do try to behave.
199Dan

Post by 199Dan »

Hello my love
And my love good bye

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”