Nebula

This is for your own works!!!
solongleonard

Re: Nebula

Post by solongleonard »

Fake News! That is actually a Crossroads quote when Sandy Of The Blessed Wheelchair ran over Bennyboy's leg
Sandy Crossroads.jpg
Sandy Crossroads.jpg (6.11 KiB) Viewed 2792 times
SOME PEOPLE NEVER GO CRAZY.
WHAT TRULY HORRIBLE LIVES
THEY MUST LEAD
solongleonard

Post by solongleonard »

Real-Life Tragedy Hits Crossroads

Real People Magazine Article

February 1981

Real-life tragedy yesterday shattered the stars of Crossroads the hit TV soap opera. Actor Roger Tonge, who played Sandy Richardson lost his long battle against cancer.

Last night the news of his death was broken to actress Noele Gordon - Sandy's TV mum Meg Richardson - at her holiday hideaway in Australia. She said: "I'm shattered. He has been the sort of son I would have liked to have had in real life. He was an underrated actor and a fine young man. I don't know what we are going to do without him."

The 35 year old bachelor died in the Royal Marsden hospital in Sutton, Surrey, from Hodkins Disease. In 1975 he had an operation to remove his spleen - but it failed to halt the deadly illness.

Roger rocketed to stardom when he landed the part which made him a household name, in 1964. The baby-faced actor was just 18, and ignored the advice of his workmates at the Post Office not to give up a steady job.

And Miss Gordon still recalls that day. "He literally walked in off the streets for that audition," she said. "After it was over, I put my arms round him, and said: "You have got to be in the show. I feel you are my son."

Roger was last seen in the show, about life at a motel, on February 4. The cast of the chart-topping show were told about the tragedy after rehearsals at ATV's Birmingham studios.

Jane Rossington, who played Sandy's sister, said: "We all burst into tears and fled to the dressing rooms. It is just like losing a brother. Roger was a super person. I was terribly shocked, even though I knew he was very ill." She added: "We played brother and sister on the screen and were like that in real life too. Crossroads is a family."

Paul Henry, who plays Bennyboy, the lovable idiot, said: "You would never have known Roger was ill at all. He never complained in any way whatsoever. They worked it so he could go and have his treatment at weekends - but he never spoke about it. If you asked how he was he always said 'Oh great', I feel as happy as a Leonard Cohen song."

Producer Geoffrey Wren (from Norway) said (in broken English): "I don't know how we are going to deal with this tragedy on the screen. But we will have to cause as little distress as possible to the parents who are both elderly."

Roger's illness had nothing to do with his appearance on screen in a wheelchair. That was explained by a fictional road crash after the series started.The rest of the cast were sworn to secrecy that the crash was fictional and persuaded Roger that he was crippled for life.
THEY MUST LEAD
solongleonard

Post by solongleonard »

DOES ANYONE RECOGNISE THE NAMES OF TWO OF OUR MOST POPULAR FORUM MEMBERS

solongleonard wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:12 pm Real-Life Tragedy Hits Crossroads

Real People Magazine Article

February 1981

Real-life tragedy yesterday shattered the stars of Crossroads the hit TV soap opera. Actor Roger Tonge, who played Sandy Richardson lost his long battle against cancer.

Last night the news of his death was broken to actress Noele Gordon - Sandy's TV mum Meg Richardson - at her holiday hideaway in Australia. She said: "I'm shattered. He has been the sort of son I would have liked to have had in real life. He was an underrated actor and a fine young man. I don't know what we are going to do without him."

The 35 year old bachelor died in the Royal Marsden hospital in Sutton, Surrey, from Hodkins Disease. In 1975 he had an operation to remove his spleen - but it failed to halt the deadly illness.

Roger rocketed to stardom when he landed the part which made him a household name, in 1964. The baby-faced actor was just 18, and ignored the advice of his workmates at the Post Office not to give up a steady job.

And Miss Gordon still recalls that day. "He literally walked in off the streets for that audition," she said. "After it was over, I put my arms round him, and said: "You have got to be in the show. I feel you are my son."

Roger was last seen in the show, about life at a motel, on February 4. The cast of the chart-topping show were told about the tragedy after rehearsals at ATV's Birmingham studios.

Jane Rossington, who played Sandy's sister, said: "We all burst into tears and fled to the dressing rooms. It is just like losing a brother. Roger was a super person. I was terribly shocked, even though I knew he was very ill." She added: "We played brother and sister on the screen and were like that in real life too. Crossroads is a family."

Paul Henry, who plays Bennyboy, the lovable idiot, said: "You would never have known Roger was ill at all. He never complained in any way whatsoever. They worked it so he could go and have his treatment at weekends - but he never spoke about it. If you asked how he was he always said 'Oh great', I feel as happy as a Leonard Cohen song."

Producer Geoffrey Wren (from Norway) said (in broken English): "I don't know how we are going to deal with this tragedy on the screen. But we will have to cause as little distress as possible to the parents who are both elderly."

Roger's illness had nothing to do with his appearance on screen in a wheelchair. That was explained by a fictional road crash after the series started.The rest of the cast were sworn to secrecy that the crash was fictional and persuaded Roger that he was crippled for life.
THEY MUST LEAD
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

solongleonard wrote: DOES ANYONE RECOGNISE THE NAMES OF TWO OF OUR MOST POPULAR FORUM MEMBERS

IS THERE A PRIZE FOR ANSWERING CORRECTLY?
solongleonard

Post by solongleonard »

LisaLCFan wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:49 pm
    solongleonard wrote: DOES ANYONE RECOGNISE THE NAMES OF TWO OF OUR MOST POPULAR FORUM MEMBERS

IS THERE A PRIZE FOR ANSWERING CORRECTLY?
    YES, OF BLOODY COURSE. WHAT KIND OF GIRL DO YOU THINK WE ARE?
    THEY MUST LEAD
    Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote:
    >IS THERE A PRIZE FOR ANSWERING CORRECTLY?[/quote]

solongleonard wrote:
    >YES, OF BLOODY COURSE. WHAT KIND OF GIRL DO YOU THINK WE ARE?

the winner can choose a free guided tour, solong?
    https://www.hrp.org.uk/tower-of-london/#gs.UEcQvJM
    https://old-bailey.com/visiting-the-old-bailey/
    http://www.parliament.uk/about/living-h ... e/big-ben/
    https://www.royalcollection.org.uk/visi ... ham-palace
    LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Okay, well, since there is a prize (one of those tours looks lovely! Does that include airfare?), I shall try to guess. Here goes: "Hodkins Disease" and "Leonard Cohen".

Did I win?
    solongleonard

Post by solongleonard »

So close, so very close. Had you bothered to read the article a bit more carefully, you would have discerned it was "you" and "I".
    THEY MUST LEAD
    LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

solongleonard wrote:So close, so very close. Had you bothered to read the article a bit more carefully, you would have discerned it was "you" and "I".

That would have been my second guess! :)

I suppose I should have given the article more than just a quick read...
    LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote:anyway, while i got you here. how long is a 'quick listen'? is it strictly 7.5 seconds, as was mentioned during the frank zappa discussion, or is it based on a specific percentage of the recording's duration?

Solongleonard, to whom your enquiry was addressed, was clearly too busy rigging his trivia contest to avoid awarding a prize to its rightful winner, because I see that he has failed to answer your question. Please allow me to do so.

A ”quick listen” (“QL”) can actually be variable in its duration. There are two scientifically proven methodologies to determine its precise value for any given song/piece of music. The first is the most accurate, and uses this formula:

QL = N(x) + yr – log2 +cosDT x Z/(fn + P6 )

The main problem with this method is that you must be sure to know the precise number of raisins in the muesli you ate for breakfast on the day that you listened to the music in question, otherwise the final answer may be off by as much as -R7, and you wouldn’t want that.

The second method, although not yielding as precise a measurement, follows this simplified formula:

QL = C + S, where “C” is the amount of time it takes for the listener to think, “This is total crap!”, and “S” is the amount of time it takes for them to press the “stop” button.
    solongleonard

Post by solongleonard »

QL = C + S, where QL is Quick Lisa, “C” is the amount of time it takes for the listener to think, “This is total Cohen!”, and “S” is Snow (Geoffrey's old name)

Genius formula

Kind Regards

Solong (where S is Snow, O is Oh,shit another Boss list, L is Leonard, O is Oh shit! another other Bosslist, N is Norway, and G is Geoffrey)
    THEY MUST LEAD
    LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

solongleonard wrote:QL = C + S, where QL is Quick Lisa, “C” is the amount of time it takes for the listener to think, “This is total Cohen!”, and “S” is Snow (Geoffrey's old name)

Genius formula

;-)

solongleonard wrote:Kind Regards

Solong (where S is Snow, O is Oh,shit another Boss list, L is Leonard, O is Oh shit! another other Bosslist, N is Norway, and G is Geoffrey)

That sums up this forum quite well!
    Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

hello. that was a complicated equation, lisa. solongleonard most likely avoided answering the enquiry because no answer was capable of being formed in his mind. yesterday many people came, and at 7pm on tuesday another twenty or so are coming. the discussions are about aspects of law, financial regulations and some housing projects. the jeff payne case, regarding that policeman who was so horrible to that nice nurse in utah, is quietening down a bit, and the news is now about hurricanes. leonard said in an interview that there comes a time in a person's life when they realise this isn't going to go on forever. today four beetroots were boiled, producing a jar of red ink, bolstered with the juice from some clasps of elderberries that were picked a few days ago. they were just put into a sieve and squashed with a fork, like leonardo da vinci might have done. about seventy leonard cohen portraits were found scattered around, either hanging on walls, on harddisks, memory sticks, etc. - but some were sold or given away before being photographed or scanned. there are probably more on another external harddisk. cruesli is ok if it is the crunchy type without sultanas; they are so chewy, and tend to stick to the teeth. fårikål season in norway at the moment, so that was today's choice of dinner. there is not very much in this uninspired message worthy of a response, so expectations are rather low.

here is a video for anyone to see. ignore the music and mick's codpiece. just look at the size of the audience, feel the energy, and ask how come composers of classical music were never this popular. well, they didn't have any stadiums to speak of in those days, worldwide media and communication was in its infancy, and working class people - the lion's share of the population - were never known for their cultivated tastes. if schubert or paganini were alive today, their acceptance and fame in the world of music would be minimal. there will always remain a small niche in the market for that style of music, but in these modern times it has expired its sell-by date.
    https://youtu.be/03TYbImaY7M
    solongleonard

Post by solongleonard »

Geoffrey wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:24 am
    https://youtu.be/03TYbImaY7M
    Thanks for the link. In all the anals of the Rolling Stones songs, "Under My Bum" was, in my opinion at the very bottom of their catalogue.
    THEY MUST LEAD

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”