Designs for Songs & Versions

This is for your own works!!!
B4real

Designs for Songs & Versions

Post by B4real »

I was just speaking to a friend about this. I have recently set myself a rather large task. I don't know if anyone remembers but some years ago I found a need to keep the words to all of LC's songs with me at all times. I had bought The Little Black Songbook which had 70 songs only. So I made a one-off personal complimentary book called 49 Songs..... incorporating all of the songs up to date at that time and those which were not in the former official book.

My small handmade book has been well used and is a bit battered so I thought it was time for an update. I thought this will be quick and easy, there's only a few albums and the odd song to add......then I started thinking wouldn't it be a great idea if I could write everything down!! That means every song that LC has been involved in vocally and/or written over at least 65 years! What a can of worms I've opened! Now obsessively, I simply must list all of them and all those extra verses. Amongst other things it requires a lot of listening to all the concerts which will be an enjoyable part of the process.

This is only for my personal use so I hope it's OK to do. The layouts are my own ideas and I have personally done the pastel paintings.

I have now designed four book covers with two different moods and can't decide on the wording or the artwork. They are somewhat interchangeable. The numbers on one of the designs are suggested as I'm still researching. I have differing thoughts at this stage as to which or what would be most suitable. Just realising that ALL is a definitive word and how can I really be sure! I was hoping for some opinions from anyone here – whether you have a preference or some other suggestions it would be nice to know and helpful I'm sure.
ALL-songs-rev iow x160&130.jpg
Last edited by B4real on Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
B4real

Re: Designs for Songs & Versions

Post by B4real »

ALL-songs-iow&hands.jpg
ALL-songs-dark---light-gets-in.jpg
ALL-songs-dark-with-versions.jpg
Btw – Most unfortunately, I can't take into account all the verses in those oh-so-many notebooks of Leonard's :) There's also more in the Thomas Fisher Rare Book Library and I do wonder about box 13.....actually I think it contains personal stuff which probably should remain that way. Leonard was asked when the last of the boxes had been catalogued and put in order at the library if there was anyone in particular he envisions studying his literary material? “Oh, any kind person,” says Cohen. “Anyone with the capacity to forgive.”

EDIT: This wasn't planned..... I've just realised that today is the anniversary of my joining the forum almost to the very hour :)
Last edited by B4real on Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Hi Bev,
Everything looks great - congratulations!
As you know I am very jealous of your artistic talents.
Keep up the good work.

Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
B4real

Re: Designs for Songs & Versions & Improvisations

Post by B4real »

Thanks Alan,

Any suggestions gratefully accepted! It's a lot of exacting but enjoyable work.
I'm listing where all official and unofficial songs and words come from as well.

And another thought comes to mind for additional content and thereby ensues the following title :)
ALL-songs-dark---light-gets-in-SVI.jpg
.....I think that will do for now ;-)
Last edited by B4real on Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
holydove

Post by holydove »

Wow, Bev!! Those covers for the book are all absolutely gorgeous!! I especially love the last one, with the two Leonards & the open-ended title, which might serve the purpose very well; though I love your painting with the hands, too, so maybe you can include that somewhere in the book as well; & how wonderful that you added "improvisations" to the content. I wish you much joy in the process of this enormous labor of love, & I'm sure the result will be totally amazing! I am in awe of your superb talent & I salute the great depth of your dedication in undertaking this huge & beautiful project.
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

Wow! Bev, I bow to you! This is a huge undertaking, and I am very impressed!
Like Rachel I love the 2 Leonard's as the cover, but as you know I too love the hands, and think maybe they, and your other drawing of Leonard could be the back cover?
I love the idea of having all the lyrics to Leonard's songs all in the one place! Are you physically writing the lyrics or are you typing them?
I was blessed with spending a few hours reading through some of Leonard's archives in the Thomas Fisher library, in 2012. It is an absolute treasure trove, and someday I hope to return to Toronto, and spend a week there!
Also a couple of years ago I had the idea of writing my favourite lyrics into one of the notebooks that were in the merchandise of the concerts in 2012/13, but never got around to completing it, because I found myself writing most of some songs, so put it aside, and only remembering it now!
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
Junk

Post by Junk »

Great project, Bev
You are a true scholar of Leonard Cohen.
Put me down for a copy. ;-)
B4real

Post by B4real »

Thanks Rachel, Gwen and Murray for your well received input and truly kind words!

Rachel, since I posted that last design I have found a great deal more songs etc to include. Just when I think I'm getting close I remember another one! So far I have over 260 titles. I'm still to hear and verify the lyrics for many of them....not an unpleasant task I might add!

Gwen, that's great you got to Toronto and the Thomas Fisher Library. I think they have some clippings relating to Ten New Songs but on reflection maybe not lyrics. One thing I would love to see would be Leonard's artworks that are there. With my book, I have been trying to decide whether to physically write all the lyrics etc or type them. It would be more personal to do the former I think. I hope your own artwork is progressing well!

Murray, It's not difficult to do this and I want to make it perfect so it might take a while to finish but I'm having fun with the whole project. No copies but I'll let you read it when I'm in Melbourne for the next LC concert - it'll take me that long to finish ;-) ....just joking about the concert unfortunately! So nice to know you are still checking the forum. I miss our fun in the Pic Game.
B4real

Post by B4real »

Thanks you Rachel and Gwen, for planting the seed!
I'm going to additionally incorporate the hands and that early portrait plus some of my other artworks of Leonard chronologically throughout the pages of verse. I'll probably use that last design cover or something similar as it shows the “as time goes by" theme more graphically and with feeling on the outside and now the paintings/drawings will compliment that time line on the inside too. Also it will definitely make it a more personal project for me. Can't wait to put it all together! Such fun!
holydove

Post by holydove »

B4real wrote:
I'm going to additionally incorporate the hands and that early portrait plus some of my other artworks of Leonard chronologically throughout the pages of verse. I'll probably use that last design cover or something similar as it shows the “as time goes by" theme more graphically and with feeling on the outside and now the paintings/drawings will compliment that time line on the inside too.
Great idea!! It will be lovely to have the many Leonards, from different eras, included with all the songs from the different eras - perfect! I hope you will let me see your great book at the next LC concert too!! :) I'm actually starting to think it could happen at some point; of course, that thought is based on nothing at all, but it feels good to think it. . .
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

B4real wrote:
Gwen, that's great you got to Toronto and the Thomas Fisher Library. I think they have some clippings relating to Ten New Songs but on reflection maybe not lyrics. One thing I would love to see would be Leonard's artworks that are there. With my book, I have been trying to decide whether to physically write all the lyrics etc or type them. It would be more personal to do the former I think. I hope your own artwork is progressing well!
My artwork is progressing, very, very slowly!
Yes more personal to physically write, but would be very time consuming! I didn't see any of Leonard's art in the library, but that was due to time constraints. We only had a few hours, so choose boxes with his early written work.
I like the idea of having your artwork of Leonard throughout the verse.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
B4real

Post by B4real »

ah Rachel, it sure does feel good to contemplate that delicious possibly but improbable thought :razz:

Gwen, art is very much about seeing as well as doing. If you don't have much time to physically practice drawing just look at things and situations you come into contact with each day in the context of light, shade, colour, form and feeling and you'll be surprised how it will make a huge difference when you do get time to put something down on paper. Besides that you will see the world in a different light ....so to speak :)

About my book, I think I'll type the verses now I've decided to incorporate my artwork through the pages. It will still be personal. Handwritten would make for a much thicker book. It will take some months to complete for sure.

Thanks again to you all for taking an interest.
vern.silver

Post by vern.silver »

Several years ago (2003ish) I put together all of LC's songs into three books up to 10 new songs (4 albums per book) in a style similar to little black books - except they weren't little . When I had done this I was unaware of any books in this style. I made them so I could have them handy whenever I wanted to play a song or to take to events. I have two versions of the books (sort of,) one in the original keys/chords and another transposed to a key suitable to my voice. I've been planning to add a 4th book with newest albums/songs but haven't got around to it. I could send a pdf of them if you'd like. there is no artwork - I just used the album covers.
"Clarence said a striking thing about rowing that I've always valued ... that he liked rowing because you were approaching life backward. You could clearly see the past, and you glanced quickly at the future over your shoulder.' Jim Harrison.
B4real

Post by B4real »

Vern, that sounds like a job well done! Thanks for the offer – very thoughtful of you to do that but I do have all of LC's songs already as sheet music in my preferred notation, except for the last three studio albums as well. I've also transposed some of them to play more compatibly for me on my violin and I'm happy with what I have. I use mainly melody notes and not standard guitar chords. Maybe others could be interested.

This book I'm making is a different one consisting of information and images throughout LC's life. Believe it or not, including those songs yet to come on the new album I will have listed approximately 300 titles! A lot of exacting but enjoyable work ...... and I now know it will take me somewhat longer than a few months!
B4real

Re: Designs for Songs & Versions & Improvisations

Post by B4real »

Seeing that Light is the opposing force to Dark, here’s a little Lighter reading to balance things while we are waiting for and Wanting the Darker album ;-)

I thought I’d shed some light, ha! on Leonard’s spontaneously sung words that I’ve heard while compiling my book. They are his concern with the lights at some of his earlier concerts. This is evident in more than a few conversations with the audience about the lights and sometimes he would break out into an impromptu song about them.

Just for fun, I’ve sequenced the scenario below – please forgive me Leonard, for my irreverence!
Firstly, he doesn’t care about the lights, then he’s asking questions directly to the lights and finally he can’t go on because they’re too bright or au contraire they don’t shine!

SUNG IMPROVISATIONS:

LEONARD AND LIGHTS

The lights, they don’t bother me
They’re taken down every month
For their history.

Hello there light, why are you shining on me?
Hello there Tungsten, hello there electricity
Do you have some communication
You wish to reach me with?
Are you really shining?
Are you really the sun?
Are you the rings of Saturn?
Why are you shining on me?

No I can’t go on, when the light’s too bright
No I can’t go on in the deepest night
No I can’t go on and it’s all I will say
No but I can’t go on
No I can’t go on, when the lights don’t shine
And I can’t go on, when my baby’s not mine
And I can’t go on, No, I can’t go on.

I have 315 titles so far and that includes all the songs from You Want It Darker album. At the rate I’m going it could be this time next year before I’m finished so just in time to include the other new album Leonard is working on :razz:

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”