Geoffrey ate my rabbit

This is for your own works!!!
Geoffrey

Re: A poem of longing by Sideways Sue

Post by Geoffrey »

Sideways wrote:Thanks for your tribute to the great Johnny Dowd
thank you very much, but why is the video is called "that's your wife on the back of my horse" when he actually says "that's your waff on the back of mah horse" - or has lack of education simply left the inarticulate gentleman intellectually stunted. reminds me of the awful working class dialect employed by those women on one of leonard's songs. it took me a while to decipher, but i eventually worked out that "lakka baby" meant "like a baby". i knew that 'lakka' in afrikaans meant 'nice' or 'good', but couldn't see the connection. then later they sing "look at me, leonard, look at me one last tam". i knew that 'tam' was vietnamese for 'shower', but why would they sing that? i did a lyric search and discovered the women were trying to sing ". . . one last time". the failure of low income americans to correctly pronounce their language seems rife, even to the point of infiltrating leonard's recording studios. let us hope those poor women earned enough from that session to pay for one or two elocution lessons, because they completely spoiled that song for me.
Sideways

Re: Geoffrey and Isis

Post by Sideways »

Geoffrey wrote:
Sideways wrote:Thanks for your tribute to the great Johnny Dowd
thank you very much, but why is the video is called "that's your wife on the back of my horse" when he actually says "that's your waff on the back of mah horse" - or has lack of education simply left the inarticulate gentleman intellectually stunted. reminds me of the awful working class dialect employed by those women on one of leonard's songs. it took me a while to decipher, but i eventually worked out that "lakka baby" meant "like a baby". i knew that 'lakka' in afrikaans meant 'nice' or 'good', but couldn't see the connection. then later they sing "look at me, leonard, look at me one last tam". i knew that 'tam' was vietnamese for 'shower', but why would they sing that? i did a lyric search and discovered the women were trying to sing ". . . one last time". the failure of low income americans to correctly pronounce their language seems rife, even to the point of infiltrating leonard's recording studios. let us hope those poor women earned enough from that session to pay for one or two elocution lessons, because they completely spoiled that song for me. You are also an utter bastard.

Your repetition of the word "is" in your very first sentence deeply disappoints me. I had marked you down as one of my averagely promising students. Now I must face reality that you clearly need a lot more basic education. I also found your last sentence to be rather shocking.
Last edited by Sideways on Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yeah, well, errrrm, hum, yeah, ok, I dunno, articulation is not my fing, who cares, SHUT IT YOU MUPPET, blah blah blah
Artsinlife

Post by Artsinlife »

Geoffrey , you don't need to thank, I just expressed my opinion once again :-) No, I'm not worried about lack of comments, I wrote here a few times ago they are not the reasons why I write, it is a pure hobby for me. However, people gathered here are supposed to be intellectuals, as Leonard's music couldn't be appreciated by shallow-brained individuals, or...? :)
Btw, your poem is interesting in the way you didn't need to use many words, but managed to bring some message just in a few lines.
Sideways

Re: Geoffrey ate the entire 3rd row of Artsinlife's bookshelf

Post by Sideways »

Yes, Artsinlife, I too enjoyed my friend's poem. I think the best lines were

"your roll
has cheese and tomato to fill".

Again - Well Done Geoffrey.
Last edited by Sideways on Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yeah, well, errrrm, hum, yeah, ok, I dunno, articulation is not my fing, who cares, SHUT IT YOU MUPPET, blah blah blah
Artsinlife

Post by Artsinlife »

Sideways wrote:Yes, Artsinlife, I too enjoyed my friend's poem. I think the best lines were

"your roll
has cheese and tomato to fill".

Again - Well Done Geoffrey.
Hello Sue, I meant rather the second poem that Geoffrey sent a few days ago :-)) But the one you posted is interesting as well :)
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

Artsinlife wrote:. . . people gathered here are supposed to be intellectuals, as Leonard's music couldn't be appreciated by shallow-brained individuals, or...?
well, it cannot be denied that i have an exceptionally high IQ, so compared to me most people might justfiably be described as 'shallow-brained'. i have assessed many people here to be reasonably intelligent, and at the risk of allowing my generosity to get the better judgement, i would go as far as to say that one or two even seem very slightly above average. i hasten to add, however, that they are difficult to stumble upon. in fact it would be easier to find a black face in a leonard cohen audience, but that's just because they simply don't like his work. click through jarkko's 7-page so-called 'gallery of b'losers' and you'll notice there is not an abundance of them there either. in fact you'd be hard-pushed to find a single one. i am neither a student of african culture nor a social anthropologist, all i know is that give them a leonard cohen CD and it would probably be used to skim the surface of a duck pond. i have actually done that with a liberace CD, and managed eight hops - so beat that(!) - but now i digress. no, i know not what it is about leonard's music that attracts the low achievers who gather here like zombies, or what inspires them to populate this barren acre they call a forum, but i will say that an empty bottle thrown into an arid plot of land will often trap an inquisitive fieldmouse.
leonard cohen with chuck berry.jpg
leonard cohen with chuck berry.jpg (89.53 KiB) Viewed 1430 times
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

I visit here every few days if only to ensure that i don't miss something of exceptional interest. There has been nothing matching that description for a while , but usually there is something from Geoffrey , and/or Sideways.
Thankyou for keeping things going.
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
Sideways

Re: A poem of lingerie by Sideways Sue

Post by Sideways »

It was never that well documented. There was a 7 page article in the New York Times, a short film and that's about all. Geoffrey led the protests about Leonard ignoring his black fan base. In confidential emails between the fan and the artist, Leonard calmly denied Geoffrey's charge. He described it as "incoherent, nonsensical, ill-considered, and incoherent ". On other occasions he slammed it as "incoherent".

In order to disprove conclusively the scandalatum magnatum implicit in the controversial claim Leonard wrote the song on Old Ideas called "The Darkness" to display empathy with those of a different ethnicity.

He also composed the last verse to demonstrate, publicly, the decline of Geoffrey's thinking, or "Old Ideas" as Cohen usually describes them.

I used to love the chap, Snow
I used to love his views
I loved the early Geoffrey
I’d pretend that it was new

He cared enough about you Geoffrey to reminisce about the times when you were at the depths of your power, known as the "Early Geoffrey Period" (aka the "Middle Geoffrey Period" aka "The Late Geoffrey Period".)

Last week I went bowling with Leonard in Afghanistan and he told me had a great idea for a new song all about Geoffrey. He has provisionally entitled it The Constipation Blues.

"He woke up one morning
with dem Constipation Blues
Geoffrey is full of shit
I know that ain't no news.
He got the Constipation Blues
shit from hat to shoes
yeah, yeah, yeah etc
Constipation Blues."

I am trying to help,

Sue
Boss

Re: Geoffrey ate my rabbit

Post by Boss »

I too thoroughly enjoy Sue and Geoffrey. They take me, transport me even, from this black broken battle I'm immersed in into a world of sunshine where I know light and relief. Into colour. I thank them deeply.

Adam
'In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer' - Albert Camus
Sideways

In the beginning there was Boss

Post by Sideways »

Boss wrote:I too thoroughly enjoy Sue and Geoffrey. They take me, transport me even, from this black broken battle I'm immersed in into a world of sunshine where I know light and relief. Into colour. I thank them deeply.

Adam

Thank you, Adam. I am sure Sue appreciates it as well.

Geoffrey
Artsinlife

Post by Artsinlife »

Geoffrey wrote:
Artsinlife wrote:. . . people gathered here are supposed to be intellectuals, as Leonard's music couldn't be appreciated by shallow-brained individuals, or...?
well, it cannot be denied that i have an exceptionally high IQ, so compared to me most people might justfiably be described as 'shallow-brained'. i have assessed many people here to be reasonably intelligent, and at the risk of allowing my generosity to get the better judgement, i would go as far as to say that one or two even seem very slightly above average.
i know not what it is about leonard's music that attracts the low achievers who gather here like zombies, or what inspires them to populate this barren acre they call a forum, but i will say that an empty bottle thrown into an arid plot of land will often trap an inquisitive fieldmouse.
Geoffrey, you are terrible :D
Sideways

Re: Geoffrey ate my Rabbi and has been sick ever since

Post by Sideways »

Artsinlife wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:
well, it cannot be denied that i have an exceptionally high IQ, so compared to me most people might justfiably be described as 'shallow-brained'. i have assessed many people here to be reasonably intelligent, and at the risk of allowing my generosity to get the better judgement, i would go as far as to say that one or two even seem very slightly above average.
i know not what it is about leonard's music that attracts the low achievers who gather here like zombies, or what inspires them to populate this barren acre they call a forum, but i will say that an empty bottle thrown into an arid plot of land will often trap an inquisitive fieldmouse.
Geoffrey, you are terrible :D

Did he eat your rabbit ? Whenever he comes over to mine I just about tolerate his routine consumption of our pets. Last week, however, I arranged a spiritual dinner party and granted him Observer Status (not smooth or witty enough actually to join in the conversation but permitted to listen and learn). 2 hours into the first course, he had the damn nerve to apologise that he didn't have time to eat my Flopsy Bunny. He then ate my Rabbi arguing it was a letter less and thus easier to digest.I was unimpressed by this explanation but to my surprise the social jury at my table acquitted him. It was then discovered that he had dishonestly appropriated my pillow, mattress, eiderdown and sheets. He was found not quilty. This young man gets away with murder.
Last edited by Sideways on Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Geoffrey

Re: Geoffrey ate my Rabbi

Post by Geoffrey »

just a line to apologise for not responding. have been unwell this past week. :-(
Sideways

Re: Geoffrey ate my Rabbi and has been sick ever since

Post by Sideways »

Geoffrey wrote:just a line to apologise for not responding. have been unwell this past week. :-(

Were you sick because the Rabbi you ate was not kosher?
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

Artsinlife wrote:Geoffrey, you are terrible :D
if i am, it's for their own good. in a child's eye, the father who insists his little brat wear a coat before going out to play in the cold might also be 'terrible'. do you think the pyramids would have been built if the slavedriver hadn't whipped a few lazy ass-cheeks? i am a positive force, believe me, lucy. i treat the inbreds in here with courtesy, do my utmost to avoid hurting their feelings, yet one cannot drive a bus without getting a few flies splattered on the windscreen, just as an ant or two surely got inadvertently squashed beneath jesus' sandal - call it collateral damage. an ignorant thicko will hold his nose and bellyache about the farmer who spreads manure, but utter not a word at harvest time when the tractor delivers fresh produce. consider me the good beekeeper bringing honey to a pack of deadbeats, a man who prefers to spread sweet joy rather than complain about the stings on his arms.

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”