Leonard Cohen's Bibliography (open project)

Debate on Leonard Cohen's poetry (and novels), both published and unpublished. Song lyrics may also be discussed here.
Simon

Post by Simon »

A shorten version of Lord on Peel Street appeared in Let us Compare Mythologies under the title City Christ. See the 2006 edition of LUCM, page 14.
Cohen is the koan
Why else would I still be stuck here
evelyn

Leonard Cohen's Bibliography

Post by evelyn »

He must have written Bait after he saw the tapestries of
the Hunt of the Unicorn at the Cloisters - part of the
Metropolitan Museum in NY.

to see the tapestries

http://www.Metmuseum.org/explore/Unicor ... splash.htm

evelyn
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Such vintage Cohen. I can actually hear him, in his younger, more enunciated voice. Impatient and intense. Beautiful tapestry. Leonard's more traditional 'romance' years. Beautiful poem.
evelyn

Leonard cohen's bibliography

Post by evelyn »

Hi Linda,

Reading this, I can hear the earnestness in his voice as when he
reads "O bring in the raven ahead of the dove" in the documentary.

(don't remember if this is the correct wording)

I wish I could hear a recording of this poem!

evelyn
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

I wish I could hear a recording of this poem!
Hi Evelyn,

Yes. I know it would sound just as I hear it. Some of his poetry cannot be imagined spoken in the voice of anyone else. This is one.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

The more I read of Leonard's poetry, the more I wish he could somehow manage to add just one more project to his already overwhelming list... it's been suggested before, but I really have to agree that a cd recording of him reading his own poetry would be so wonderful. We all seem to stop dead in our tracks when he reads something he's written, and I can so easily imagine how this sounds, too. How wonderful it would be to be able to listen over and over to him reading it, outside of my imagination. As projects go, it seems this would be one of the more, if not most, easily accomplished.

~ Lizzy
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Master Poems is certainly one of my favourite 'headphones on, drifting off to sleep' CDs. But you're right, there's so much more he could do for those of us, enslaved to his genius. :D Although, the body of work he's left, should keep us all busy for years to come. This is a man whose work deserves more than one reading/listening. So, until he decides to 'speak to us' again, we'll have to be content with what we have. And this website has given us more than any website possibly could in that area!

Linda.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Yes, for sure... simply one of those wish-list items that won't detract one iota from my pleasure with what I already have, and will come to have, available... at Leonard's and G~d's will :D [and Anjani's, of course :wink: ]. He still gives us his spoken voice on albums, anyway 8) . No pressure or discontent from this camp :D . However... maybe he'll grace us with a spoken poem at the end of his new album [cd ~ if it were an actual album, I'd be suggesting a spoken poem at the end of each side :wink: ]. What a wonderful denouement [in its positive sense] that would be 8) :D .

~ Lizzy
antwerp guy

Re: Leonard Cohen's Bibliography (open project)

Post by antwerp guy »

This thread is nearly 4 years old, but I just recently found it. Tom and Simon, thanks for bringing all these rare poems together. A terrific job! Guy
1979 Antwerpen (Koningin Elisabethzaal) - 1993 Gent (Flanders Expo) - 2008 Brugge (Minnewaterpark), Paris (Olympia), Brussel (Vorst Nationaal) - 2009 Antwerpen (Sportpaleis) - 2010 Las Vegas (Caesars Palace) X 2 - 2012 Gent (Sint-Pietersplein) X 2
Maarten

A Thesis on Leonard Cohen - 1970

Post by Maarten »

Hi,
Here's a link to an interesting PDF-document from the Simon Fraser University Library:

The Worlds Of Leonard Cohen: A Study Of His Poetry
by Roy Allan
B.A., University Of British Columbia 1967

A thesis submitted in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the degree of Master Of Arts in the Department of English

(C) Roy Allan, 1970
Simon Fraser University
June 1970

(click on one of the links in the grey box at the bottom of the page)

Thanks to Francis for the link!
Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Marvelous! And 'only in British Columbia'! I would have thought that Montreal (McGill) would have included something similar in their English Department (they likely have), still it's a wonderful surprise to see how much credence western Canada gave his poetic offerings. But that's the difference, Montreal is 'French', Vancouver is 'English'. Lucky us that Leonard's chosen language is/was indeed 'English', or else his work may have been lost in the French archives. I'm not up to the Canadian English/French debate, but as English is often considered the 'international language' (yes, I know - that's not politically correct), we're fortunate in that his work has reached 'everyone', not just the French, as so often happens with a poet/artist which may reach only a segment of the overall population (think Jacques Brel or even Edith Piaf - and many more).

Thanks for the link,
Linda.
~ The smell of perfume in the air, bits of beauty everywhere ~ Leonard Cohen.
Maarten

Re:

Post by Maarten »

tomsakic wrote: Short Stories
Barbers and Lovers. Ingluvin. No. 2 (January-March, 1961): 10-19.
Barbers and Lovers was published in Ingluvin 1971, not 1961.
Ingluvin - Spring 1971.jpg
Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

And a bargain for 75 cents.
~ The smell of perfume in the air, bits of beauty everywhere ~ Leonard Cohen.
diegozerwes

Post by diegozerwes »

Hi there, folks.

I'm a huge fan and I'm trying to translate some of these short stories, listed above, to portuguese. But some materials I'm not finding. Would you have them? Specifically, I'm looking for “Barbers and Lovers” and "Trade". They are so hard to find, you must know.

Thank you so much. Hope you can help me.

Could I ask you, tomsakick, if you could sent it, as you wrote, back there in 2006, by email.
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Hi all

I have scanned "Barbers and Lovers" from Ingluvin for Diego and I'm sending him the PDF file. If anybody else needs it straight away, let me know. I'll add it to my website later...
(http://www.maartenmassa.be > LC Documents > Short Stories)

Maarten

Return to “Leonard Cohen's poetry and novels”