beautiful losers online

Debate on Leonard Cohen's poetry (and novels), both published and unpublished. Song lyrics may also be discussed here.
ania

beautiful losers online

Post by ania »

any idea where i can find bits of 'beautiful losers' online?
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

I have it in txt file, send me an email so I can forward it to you.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

Tom Sakic wrote:
>I have it in a text file. Send me an email so I can forward it to you.

In my copy it says:
"This book is sold subject to the condition that it shall not, by way of trade or otherwise, be lent, re-sold, hired out or otherwise circulated without the publisher's prior consent in any form of binding or cover other than that in which it is published and without a similar condition including this condition being imposed on the subsequent purchaser."
Andrew (Darby)

Re: beautiful losers online

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

ania wrote:any idea where i can find bits of 'beautiful losers' online?
Ania, you can find all their faces in the Gallery of BLs (LC Files website)! :wink:

Cheers :)
Andrew (Darby)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Well, it's not in my copy:-) I know this is on edge of semi-legal actions. I could say that I did not sell the book, that I only have txt file, I could find the more usual copyright note which usually says that you can use it in your private purpose (so, you can't burn CDs - it's illegal - but you can make tape copy for your car - that's legal because it's "private use"). I could say the txt file wasn't "sold" in the first place, or that neither of us were "purchaser"... Or I could say that this disclaim mentions "publisher" while the copyright owner of all LC's books is Leonard himself, whatever M&S says in their books so I'd need his permission... But I know that I should send it to Ania in PM, and that Geoffrey is just being himself...:-) Ania will use parts of text in her artistic purpose, she probably needs it retyped, and I'm sure the author will appreciate it. Of course, I could erase this topic, but alas, as I am the guilty one, I'll leave it to the real moderator J. :wink:
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

>I could erase this topic

No, please don't. I hate anything being erased - we can never go forward if you do that. I was not admonishing anybody, and Leonard is so kind that he wouldn't object if his work was spread freely. But I was thinking about the market being killed if BL was freely distributed - and Leonard is not too rich right now. You are a nice person, and kind like Leonard. It is myself who is outside.

G
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Well, I hope it's not snowing outside:-) And btw, you are nice too, if we're on compliments now:-)

I think we have copyright violation here, and that J should usually erase it, but as it's not about Sony and CDs, but about the book, no harm done. Sony is checking his artists's forums to see if someone is burning CDs, I can't imagine someone form McClelland & Stewart reading forums and tracing xerox copies:-)

I got that zipped file long ago, in late 1990s, when internet heavily spread. Both BL and Fav. Game were still out of print, and that folder contained them and three early books of poetry, in txt file. I think it was the only way to read these books at that time - AbeBooks.com came only later, in past few years, when we became able to order any single old book from some obscure used shop in Canadian nowhere... I bought all LC's books and dozen about him in last two years, using Abe's bookstores from Halifax and Ottawa to Burnlington and Santa Bonita. Of course, thebest would be if M&S could understand that one book of Colected Poems would sold OK in long terms...

Btw, while you can find Fav. Game in every bookstore (incl. every English bookstore in Croatia), BL is hardly available, including Amazon (both US and UK have only "used and new"). I finally got my English copy last November, thru Abe, from some big German company "English Books Distribution GmBh" or something like that. Used price, brand new books, unsold, from German store. They said BL were printed in 2001 but it's available only virtually, and you have to work hard to get a copy.
sebmelmoth2003

Re: beautiful losers online - kerry hudson endorses

Post by sebmelmoth2003 »

"on my eraeader" by kerry hudson

Beautiful Losers by Leonard Cohen

I’m about to start Cohen’s famous experimental love-triangle novel set in 1960s New York. I listen to his music almost daily but I’ve never read his prose so, if he can tell the same nuanced tales he does in Famous Blue Raincoat – a five-minute song – I can’t wait to see what he can do with the space a novel affords.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/07/11/on-my-e-r ... s-3877136/

http://kerryhudson.co.uk

Return to “Leonard Cohen's poetry and novels”