Tom Sakic presents: Cohen in Croatian

Debate on Leonard Cohen's poetry (and novels), both published and unpublished. Song lyrics may also be discussed here.
jarkko
Site Admin

Tom Sakic presents: Cohen in Croatian

Post by jarkko »

Tom Sakic's big project has now been finalized after many years of work. The mammuth-like collection of Leonard's poetry has now been published in Croatian - the book has almost 600 pages.

Lijek za ljubav: izbor iz poezije 1956-2006 [Cure for Love. Selected Poems 1956-2006]
Publisher: Naklada Vukovic i Runjic, Croatia
Language: Croatian
Translated by: Damir Šodan, Maja Tančik
Annotations: Tomislav Sakic
Year: 2015
Pages: 588
ISBN: 9789532861181
Note: With Leonard's permission, Tom Sakic and Croatian translator Damir Sodan chose their own selection of Leonard's poems, editing, after five years of labour, this volume of 600 pages and 420 poems, deciding to omit the song lyrics. The book is accompanied by detailed annotations and commentary written by Tom Sakic, who also selected Book of Mercy pieces using earlier Croatian translation by Maja Tancik. Due to book's size the idea of bilingual edition was abandoned. This is one of rare, beside Italian edition of la solitudine della forza, new editions of selected poems not based on Stranger Music's selections, but presents editors' own selection of Leonard's poetry from the first editions of his original books. Selection from the Book of Longing has been presented with the original drawings. The new, final poem from 2nd edition of Poems and Songs, "I'm Always Thinking of a Song", has been added as the coda to this selection.
I have added this book to the Gallery at http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/cg-front.html (check "Other collections of poems" pages)
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Goldin

Re: Tom Sakic presents: Cohen in Croatian

Post by Goldin »

So well done!
Looking forward to an opportunity to hold this volume in my hands!
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Congratulations on this huge achievement, Tom! A labor of love...

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Incredible achievement Tom. Congratulations. I only wish I was able to read and enjoy this beautiful book myself.

Wendy
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Tom,

This sounds like such a phenomenal work - my heartfelt congratulations! Now, if only we could get an English translation........
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

Congratulations from me as well, Tom.
jim devlin

Post by jim devlin »

Well done Tom! Many congrats on a fine achievement! Jim
B4real

Post by B4real »

Tom, you were the first ever person to "speak" with me here on the forum all those years ago. You were so friendly and helpful and I've never forgotten it.

I also remember when you started this labour of love and I am so very pleased that all your efforts have finally come to fruition. Well done :D and I wish I spoke Croatian!
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

How I wish, too, that I understood Croation or that this was to eventually be translated. Given the enormity of it, however, I can understand how that will not be the case.
So, I must satisfy myself with the beautiful photos you chose and my personal knowledge of how committed and devoted you have always been to Leonard, his work, and this project. You are serious-minded and that fact clearly comes through in this phenomenal achievement.

My heartiest, heartfelt congratulations to you, Tom. A labour of love and job well done!!! How gratified you must feel to have finally completed it!
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
LC&LC

Post by LC&LC »

Bravo!
This is the accomplishment of a huge work, I wish I could read it...
well done
2009: Paris, Nimes, Barcelona, 2010: Caen, Strasbourg, Marseille, Tours, Lille, Las Vegas, 2012: Ghent x2, London, Verona, Paris x3, Barcelona, Madrid, NYC, Brooklyn, 2013: NYCx2, Paris, London, Brussels, Rome, Lucca, Hamburg, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Pula, Manchester, London, Amsterdam, Perth, Sydney, Melbourne, Cairns, Townsville, Brisbane, Sydney Opera House

Return to “Leonard Cohen's poetry and novels”