"Book of Mercy" in Hebrew - translated by Doron

Debate on Leonard Cohen's poetry (and novels), both published and unpublished. Song lyrics may also be discussed here.
jarkko
Site Admin

"Book of Mercy" in Hebrew - translated by Doron

Post by jarkko »

Carmel in Jerusalem has now published the Hebrew translation of Book of Mercy.
Translated by our member Doron B Cohen!

I have also added the book to our Gallery of various editions, sub-index at http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/cg-front.html
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Goldin

Re: "Book of Mercy" in Hebrew - translated by Doron

Post by Goldin »

This is so amazing! Congratulations, Doron!
Diane

Post by Diane »

So glad you got this published at last, Doron, complete with enchanting cover. Congratulations indeed.
DBCohen

Post by DBCohen »

Thanks to Jarkko for posting the front and back covers of my Hebrew translation of Book of Mercy.

I’m glad the book is finally published, after long and painful delays; the manuscript was ready two years ago, but I ended up having to change publisher because of disagreement over the editing of the text, and the process was long and complicated.

I also wish to thank once again all Forum members who participated in the long BoM discussion some years ago. Thanks to that discussion, and the contributions of various participants, I was able to gain a deeper understanding of the book and to feel that I can finally fulfill my long-held dream to translate it, bringing back from English to my mother’s tongue the many Hebrew (and Aramaic) words and verses from the Bible, the Jewish Prayer Book and the sources of Midrash, Kabbalah and Hassidism of which the book is saturated (while not ignoring the Christian and Zen-Buddhist motifs). On the “Thanks” page at the back of my translation I thanked several Forum members by name, including the late Greg Wells, for their crucial assistance; I now regret failing to mention Judith Fitzgerald’s name as well.

For the front cover I chose Rembrandt’s painting of Jacob struggling with the angel; there are several hints to this biblical scene in the book, and I found Rembrandt’s rendering of it especially relevant because it seems to convey both struggle and love, a combination which is central to LC’s work, including this book. Of course I could not do without his “unified heart” emblem, so strongly associated with the book, on the cover of which it appeared for the first time, and I had it printed on the back cover.

I hope the book will find some sympathetic readers who will make a place for it in their lives, and that the translation will help secure Leonard Cohen’s position in the long and respectable chain of masters of Jewish liturgy, as well as universal poetry.

Wishing you all a Happy New Year and looking forward to seeing you in Amsterdam and elsewhere,

Doron
LY24

Post by LY24 »

Congratulations, Doron!
I'm happy for you, you can published the Hebrew version of poetry at last.
This is your dedication for more Cohen's Poetry lover.

I had translated into Chinese of the Let Us Compare Mythologies,but the editor didn't respond to me。
http://site.douban.com/241628/room/3511158/

I want to know how you did it, I have no experience.

Congratulations again!
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Many congratulations Doron!

This must have been such an extraordinary and lengthy endeavor.

I think you like this Leonard Cohen guy ;-)
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
DBCohen

Post by DBCohen »

Yes, Mary, I do like him...

TO LY24:
I'm glad to hear you translated LC's first poetry book into Chinese, but I'm not sure I understand your question; whom did you try to contact?
LY24

Post by LY24 »

DBCohen wrote:Yes, Mary, I do like him...

TO LY24:
I'm glad to hear you translated LC's first poetry book into Chinese, but I'm not sure I understand your question; whom did you try to contact?
Hello DBCohen!

I contacted the editor of Shanghai Translation Publishing House,unfortunately,they have not publication plan.
Cate

Post by Cate »

Congratulations Doron,
I hope that this book makes it's way to many readers hands. I love the cover art and colours you have chosen, I think it suites the book very well.
John K.

Post by John K. »

Congratulations Doron! I remember the thread here in the forum with fondness, it was an amazing discussion that I never had the intellectual weight to contribute to. It was like sitting in on a lecture being taught by and to a room of geniuses, with me watching it in amazement wishing that I could be smart enough to really belong. This must have been a long and dedicated labour of love and you should be proud to have this accomplishment.
I love to speak with John
He's a pundit and a fraud
He's a lazy banker living in a suit

http://www.johnkloberdanz.com
DBCohen

Post by DBCohen »

Thank you very much, Cate & John.

To LY24:
I have no knowledge about book publishing in China so I can't really give you any good advice. My only idea would be to try different publishers until you find one who is willing to publish the book. Good luck.
LY24

Post by LY24 »

TO DBCohen:

Thank you!
I will try again and amend my translation; Hope friends here can explain the meaning of some words about Let Us Compare Mythologies.
My English is not very good, :) but i will do my best!
Mollydog

Post by Mollydog »

Congratulations, Doron. This is a wonderful achievement that many people will be thankful for now and in many years to come.
1972 London/1974 London/1985 Montreal/1993 Ottawa/2008 Montreal,London O2/2009 NYC Beacon,Kingston,Ottawa X 2,Barcelona,Las Vegas,San José/2010 Malmo,Las Vegas X 2/2012 Verona,Vancouver,Montreal X 2,Ottawa,Kingston/2013 NYC, Hamilton
brightnow

Post by brightnow »

Congratulations Doron!
I'll pick up a copy when I'm in Israel in January. Can't wait to read it, I'm sure it will redeem the 12-hour flight home...
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

An amazing accomplishment, Doron.
I'm happy for you and even happier for Leonard because this helps secure a place for him, as you've already said.
Such a privilege for you to be the one who brought it into being. You participated so strongly and earnestly in those threads and brought so much to the table... it ought to have been you to do this and thanks for your steadfastness and determination in making it happen.
Wish I knew Hebrew. I, too, love the front cover. Leonard is no doubt deeply pleased and grateful.
I'm so proud of you 8)
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “Leonard Cohen's poetry and novels”