"I Am Dying"

Debate on Leonard Cohen's poetry (and novels), both published and unpublished. Song lyrics may also be discussed here.
sullengirl

"I Am Dying"

Post by sullengirl »

I am dying
because you have not
died for me
and the world
still loves you.

I write this because I know
that your kisses
are born blind
on the songs that touch you.

I don't want a purpose
in your life
I want to be lost among
your thoughts
the way you listen to New York City
when you fall asleep.

I am not so sure I understand this poem, and it's bugging me. What are your interpretations? Also, how does this relate to the other poems in his "Energy of Slaves", in which there is, I believe, a kind of continuity?
Maarten

Re: "I Am Dying"

Post by Maarten »

Sullengirl,
I have moved your post from the "comments" section to the poetry place. I'm sure people here will give you some thoughts on this poem.

Maarten (moderator)

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
abby

Post by abby »

I don't want a purpose
in your life
I want to be lost among
your thoughts
when you fall asleep.

I used to love those lines when I was younger, but I love them more now. I have an image of someone in a dark room in the Chelsea Hotel. It used to be that I wished I didn't want a purpose in the lives of all those assholes who broke my heart, but now it's true. Has someone ever apologized to you for breaking your heart? I received an amends a couple months ago, seven years after the heartbreak. Now I wouldn't mind being an aimless half-conscious thought in that heartbreaker's mind. Do you think the last stanza agrees with the first? I'd say the last stanza comes later in process than the first, but I don't know what the middle one's about. Do you? I love to talk about myself, God knows. Is it that the woman to whom the poem is written loved her own projection of Leonard?
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Was Nico around during the time this was written?
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Cate

Post by Cate »

I googled the lines that Abby left in "favourite" lines to see which poem it was

I don't want a purpose
in your life
I want to be lost among
your thoughts
when you fall asleep.

and it took me to this thread!!!! I love when that happens.

I'm not sure what the poem is about but this section reminds me of the "as the mist leaves no scars" - a gentle/light love.
Last edited by Cate on Sun May 05, 2013 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
elizabeth925

Post by elizabeth925 »

This poem reminds me of a candle going out. The last image lingers so beautifully. Oh Leonard, your creativity astounds me.
Cate

Post by Cate »

This poem reminds me of a candle going out.
What a wonderful description Elizabeth - lovely.
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

Another song for Janis Joplin?

Joke.

Seriously. I used to see us all like candles burning, perfumed candles going out at the end, out of our short existence, now filling the air forever, though invisible and with no will anymore, just a plain being, being whatever the stuff we tried to made out of ourselves while living.

What an entertainer and a seducer, Leonard, this thin gypsy thief.

So beautiful... Thanks to have bring this here!!!!
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers

Return to “Leonard Cohen's poetry and novels”